Looking for tall skinny tires

For my 2011 f250. I have 18" wheels and am looking to get new tires in the 34-35" range. I currently am running 275/65/18 which is a 33" tire. But I need something better in the snow and everything else. The ones that are on there are fine on the road but nothing else.

1stDeuce

Explorer
Without looking too hard, I'll bet you're not going to find anything that's "narrow" for an 18" wheel. I think the tallest "skinny" tire out there right now that isn't a 255/85R16 is TOYO's 285/75R17's. They are about 34" tall, and fairly narrow compared to anything else in that height. Cooper is supposed to be releasing a 255/80R17 "this spring", but that's about all I know. Perhaps you could find someone willing to trade your 18's for a set of factory 17's??
Good luck!!
C

Those are what I have figured I will probably be getting. They were recommended by the tire guy a couple months ago when I stooped in just to see whats available. Been looking every so often since and it's about all I can find. I have the toyo mts on my cruiser in the 255/85/16 and there a good tire. But I was reading that thread you posted and I worry about the snow ability of the at2. I plow with this truck and need something better in the snow than I have, then of course the rest of the year dealing with mud rocks and what not. Jst wish they still made a true tall and skinny for the larger wheels.
There is a decent selection of 285/75R18's (35x11.25). Take a look at the Toyo AT II. It is on the skinnier end of that size and of the few (maybe only one?) in an AT tread. I say skinnier because 285mm is the section width but the tread width is only 9"

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/83621-Toyo-OPEN-COUNTRY-A-T-II?p=1247482#post1247482

Black Dog

Makin' Beer.
Would you ever consider a second set of tires just for winter, like with studs? Or maybe just chain up when you plow.

AleksT

Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's are great tires in the snow.

You don't really need super skinny tires to be great in the snow though. I'm running 37x13.5x17 Toyo MT's that are ~14.6 inches wide all year round. That's like a 375/65/17. They do just fine in deep Canadian snow.

MotoDave

Explorer
Bit smaller than you're looking for but there is a solid selection of tires in the 275/70R18 size, works out to about a 33 x 11

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
I ran into the same issue when I had my '11, and went to 17" factory wheel. You can near save the cost of the wheels when buying tires, and as you know, the selection is much better. Or use them for a second set as mentioned above.
I actually powder coated them and kept them when I sold the truck- would sell the set cheap as I went back to a 7.3. PM if interested.

Next season I will be running a second set of tires and wheels, and am already using chains. The problem is I am having to use the chains for most everything.
Would you ever consider a second set of tires just for winter, like with studs? Or maybe just chain up when you plow.

Thanks I will take a look.
The Maxxis Bighorn comes in the same size and are "stud-ready," if that works for you.

I am considering them. But haven't seen them in the 285/75 size. And yes I really do need tall and skinny. Tall and skinny does much better at digging down to hard ground.
Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's are great tires in the snow.

You don't really need super skinny tires to be great in the snow though. I'm running 37x13.5x17 Toyo MT's that are ~14.6 inches wide all year round. That's like a 375/65/17. They do just fine in deep Canadian snow.

Most likely for next season that is what will happen to be able to get a true snow with studs.
Bit smaller than you're looking for but there is a solid selection of tires in the 275/70R18 size, works out to about a 33 x 11

I was going to ask today at the tire store about just that, because like you say better selection and cheaper for sure.
I ran into the same issue when I had my '11, and went to 17" factory wheel. You can near save the cost of the wheels when buying tires, and as you know, the selection is much better. Or use them for a second set as mentioned above.
I actually powder coated them and kept them when I sold the truck- would sell the set cheap as I went back to a 7.3. PM if interested.
I would love to be able to buy a true snow now but not worth it for me right now because the season will be over end of march and I want to put a better tire on there than the contenental contitracs that are on there now for the rest of the year. Next season I will run a true studded snow. I have only been running a true snow since 04 and am a true believer in there worth. I never ran snows and always thought I had good traction until I went to a true snow, theres no comparision. With my 04 I had (burnt) I ran 2 sets of tires and wheels I ran 235/85/16's all year one was the cooper discoverer m&s studded for winter and an at the rest of the year. The at did fine for first couple and last couple storms of the season. I did not like to run the snows to early or to late because with the soft compound they tend to wear quick on dry pavement. So for now I just want something that is decent in the snow then does alright in dirt and rock and of course pavement, basically logging roads and some class 6 roads along with pavement.

Last edited:

Montereyman

Skinny tires are not a good choice for snow unless you like to dig down in the stuff instead of riding over it. Same applies to mud and it took diffing my Willys down to the axles a couple time to fully appreciate the error in my choice of tire.

Carlyle

Explorer
I guess you have to figure out what you drive in most and make a compromise. I'll stick to tall and skinny myself, with the ability to air down.

grimbo

Explorer
Skinny tires are not a good choice for snow unless you like to dig down in the stuff instead of riding over it. Same applies to mud and it took diffing my Willys down to the axles a couple time to fully appreciate the error in my choice of tire.

You're kidding right? Tyre pressures weren't low enough would be my diagnosis as I've always found tall skinny out performs wide tyres except for high horsepower driving

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles