Looking for something comfortable

and fun to drive. I have never really owned anything but pick up trucks my whole life and quit frankly just don't need one like I used to. So am looking for something different. Not really going to be an offroad beast I have my cruiser for play. It has to be AWD 5 months of the years roads are crap. Has to be comfortable and fun to drive. I love going for rides and they can get long. Want something that handles the curves and has plenty of room for me and the dogs, and or wife and kid (20) maybe car seat for grandson. Also needs to be able to handle dirt roads and forest service roads, I don't want to be turned back because of a little washout or not being a great road. But I know nothing about cars or suv's like I said I have been a truck guy my whole life. Not looking for a Subaru wife has one she is on third and I never found them comfortable. Been thinking about a Porsche cayenne, Mercedes gl350/450 even a station wagon, bmw m3/5, audi. But I honestly have no idea. I just want something comfortable and fun to drive with enough room for mentioned above. So I thought hey I will ask here because there is so much experience here that I could get some ideas. Oh reliability is also of major importance. Thank you for your time!! Oh yea I should mention I am looking used say somewhere around 30 35k max. Prefer around 25k.

Last edited:
None of these are going to be reliable? http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...30000&rd=200&zc=03470&searchSource=QUICK_FORM or these http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...30000&rd=150&zc=03470&searchSource=QUICK_FORM What about these http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...30000&rd=150&zc=03470&searchSource=QUICK_FORM Like to also say thank you for your response!! I should point out these brands are just what I know are supposed to be fun and comfortable. But I posted here to get ideas because I know trucks not cars. Thanks!!

Last edited:

tanglefoot

ExPoseur
Mazda CX-5s love curves! It's the most fun CUV to drive that we found (we didn't try the exotics, but they're not our style). It's a great combo of comfort and sport, while being very easy to own (and darn good-looking).

Last edited:

docwatson

Adventurer
I think the Cayenne or Touareg would fit the category you mention. Depending how interested you are in a station wagon, you may think about the Audi Allroad. What you describe is exactly what it seems Audi was after. Not sure where reliability is on the newer Audi's, but my VW Passat (A4 clone) required very little maintenance to 215k when I sold it.

kindred

My Jeep Grand Cherokee was one of the most comfortable vehicles to drive that I've ever owned. Sounds like it would fit your criteria. I always felt like I was driving a large luxury car in that thing. AWD, no problems on the types of roads you mentored, and if you really want to have fun the SRT will get up and move.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

kindred

I can also vouch for a Lexus RX 350. Lots of storage room, comfy for the kids, and no issues on fire trails.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
Don't get the Porsche; skip the badge-price and just get a Tuareg (it's the exact same car). they're actually not that bad on the reliable factor but holy **** repairs are expensive.

plus they'll probably out-do your cruisers on most trails.

And they're fast.
and insanely comfy.
And they have unreal amounts of grip in ****-road conditions.
And every single Tuareg ever has an awesome-sauce stereo system.

Thanks guys keep them coming. I should have mentioned no jeeps sorry just never been a fan but if I did by a jeep it would be a rubicon because it does look cool and have wheeled with many and they go good. The lexus rx350 I have thought about, wife likes the looks of them too. I will have to give them more of a look. The toureg is only 6 cylinder not 8 so not the hp of the cayenne s or turbo. I had a jetta tdi and you are correct pricey to fix and no one wants to work on them. But no toureg is going where I take my cruiser. Would never think of taking it places like I do the cruiser, I am not nice to it (not to bright).

What do you guys think of the diesels in the Porsche, BMW and Mercedes? I love diesel been driving diesel for years and do like the mpg's and power but don't want to loose out on the fun factor. Although the diesel in my 11 f250 and the one in my 04 f350 were are fun motors with all the power in the world, only attached to heavy pick ups. Oh as an example I almost beat a beamer in my 11 f250 on a hill that had a truck passing lane but when it hit 101 she shut down still in 5th gear and still had more to go before shifting (6 speed).

Last edited:

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
None of these are going to be reliable? http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...30000&rd=200&zc=03470&searchSource=QUICK_FORM or these http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...30000&rd=150&zc=03470&searchSource=QUICK_FORM What about these http://www.cars.com/for-sale/search...30000&rd=150&zc=03470&searchSource=QUICK_FORM Like to also say thank you for your response!! I should point out these brands are just what I know are supposed to be fun and comfortable. But I posted here to get ideas because I know trucks not cars. Thanks!!
statistically over the long term? No. Porsche, Mercedes (had my own ML55 blow up from a failed oil squirter), bmw etc all have notorious reliability issues. Not as bad and land/range rover. but still.
Not to mention to get one in hte 25-30 price range (which is another thing...you post a price range with a 10k variance.....pick a number) by eliminating the high side, you are into high mileage/older vehicles with ALOT of electronics and that require alot of specialty tools

the lexus is a good option. basically a prado (fj underpinnings) and used heavilly in the middle east for comfort and offroading. Land cruiser is always a good one. Have you checked out the newer 4 runners?

Applejack

Explorer
A friend of mine who is very nit picky (aerospace engineer). Just went through the same ordeal only he is a sports car guy not an off roader much. Basically he narrowed his choice down to a Mazda CX-5 and a new Outback, like it was mentioned before, new Subaru's are far beyond older ones. In the end he chose the CX-5 because it out classed the Subaru's handling. But the Subaru would be a better off roader if it ever came to that.

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
You can get the Tuareg in a 5-cyl Diesel, V6 Diesel, VR6 gas, a bigger VR6 gas, V8 gas, a W12 gas, and V10 diesel.

you don't need the V10 diesel, lol

and it's not that they're bad to work on, parts are just very expensive. Over-all I saw less of the Tuaregs in the dealership with problems than anything but a GTi. $0.02

My mother has a Lexus Rx450. That thing's pretty sweet and she's had no problems in the fews years she's had it so far.

Lots of great info I appreciate it. The reason I posted here is because I have heard that a lot of these high end cars just are not made to last much past warranty, so I thought I would ask here where there are people I trust more than other sites were I don't really know the people. I don't know anyone that has one so cant ask them. Most people I know own trucks maybe a muscle car or bikes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles