Looking for some domestic vehicle shipping advice or preferred shippers. (UShip etc?)

BryanBowie

Hey Everyone,
I'm laying out my budget right now for my next truck purchase and I haven't shipped anything since maybe 2005 and it seems like there are quite a few options and everyone I've asked personally has a story to tell so I thought it'd better to ask here.
I'm hunting down a 22re pickup so it won't be an overly large vehicle. I'm on the coast of Virginia and I'm not doing the rust dance again so I'm looking in parts west, be it Texas, AZ, NM or the west coast. Maybe even eBay, never know.
If I bought one right now I thought I'd try UShip. Anyone used them?

If anyone has experience with them or has any other companies they recommend I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

(I did search but couldn't find any specific threads. If this is the wrong section please feel free to move to chat or wherever it's more appropriate.)

Last edited:

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I cannot help you with the pricing but I will suggest you get a Google Voice number to use when you list it. You will be inundated with annoying calls from very persistent telemarketers trying to get you to list with their brokerage.

BryanBowie

I cannot help you with the pricing but I will suggest you get a Google Voice number to use when you list it. You will be inundated with annoying calls from very persistent telemarketers trying to get you to list with their brokerage.

That's a great idea thanks. I haven't used my GV number for anything in a while.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
uship is a good resource. I've used it to find a good deal and then haggled directly and made it even better.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
Thanks. That's good to hear. Seems like the way to go.

What I've found is that the transporters are willing to deal when they have an almost full truck and are ready to go. You just need to get on their radar screen so they reach out to you when they are looking to fill a slot that they would otherwise be riding empty with.

BryanBowie

What I've found is that the transporters are willing to deal when they have an almost full truck and are ready to go. You just need to get on their radar screen so they reach out to you when they are looking to fill a slot that they would otherwise be riding empty with.

Thanks. I haven't used an auction/bid style service like UShip so I appreciate the tips.

BryanBowie

I use Angels Moving Autos exclusively now. They shipped my MR2 from AZ to TX and my GX470 from AZ to NJ.

http://www.angelsmovingautos.com/

They were the recommended broker from ATS Racing, where I shipped my MR2. I've been quite pleased with them.
Awesome thank you, I hadn't come across them in my search, I'cll check the site out. Nice to have some options.
Last time I shipped it was an open truck, did you use an enclosed for your 470?

anjin007

I would not generally recommend UShip but they are definitely cheaper than most. I have a classic car which I have shipped from WA to DC, DC to LA and LA back to DC. Every time I have used http://www.intercitylines.com/. Cost was ~$1800. Not sure if that is near your price point but I know where my car is, it doesn't get loaded and unloaded multiple times and the trailer isn't switched between drivers mid country. I have been very happy with them.

BryanBowie

I would not generally recommend UShip but they are definitely cheaper than most. I have a classic car which I have shipped from WA to DC, DC to LA and LA back to DC. Every time I have used http://www.intercitylines.com/. Cost was ~$1800. Not sure if that is near your price point but I know where my car is, it doesn't get loaded and unloaded multiple times and the trailer isn't switched between drivers mid country. I have been very happy with them.

I appreciate it. I like the peace of mind, that sounds great. It's a little steep...I was hoping for max of $1300. But that said if I score a nice enough truck for a decent price I suppose the one time cost wouldn't sting too much. I also like that they use enclosed carriers. I don't want another truck on open carrier again.

JLee

Adventurer
Awesome thank you, I hadn't come across them in my search, I'cll check the site out. Nice to have some options.
Last time I shipped it was an open truck, did you use an enclosed for your 470?

I shipped open for both my MR2 and my truck. They can do enclosed as well - I'm not sure what the price premium is. I paid $550 for my MR2 from Phoenix AZ to Denton TX and $1000 for my GX470 from Phoenix AZ to Secaucus NJ. I recently quoted a Mazdaspeed6 from Carlstadt NJ to Tacoma WA at $1350 (open).

plh

Explorer

yea, calls, emails, text messages - these guys are typically on you like skunk stink!

BryanBowie

I shipped open for both my MR2 and my truck. They can do enclosed as well - I'm not sure what the price premium is. I paid $550 for my MR2 from Phoenix AZ to Denton TX and $1000 for my GX470 from Phoenix AZ to Secaucus NJ. I recently quoted a Mazdaspeed6 from Carlstadt NJ to Tacoma WA at $1350 (open).

Okay cool good to know. I may have just had bad luck the last time, lots of little rock chips. $1000 for a GX470 that distance is a great price.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles