Looking for some confirmation - Suzuki DRZ-400?

Shigeta

W6EXP
Not arguing here, just explaining my rationale. Bikez.com showed the 2003 DR650 as weighing 324 lbs with a seat height of 34.8 inches, which is comparable to the 2019 CRF250L Rally I was looking at which Bikez.com shows as 317.5 lbs with a seat height of 34.4 inches. No disagreements here that the non-rally versions are lighter and especially the new CRF300's. Thanks for the advice.
Hmm, that might be the dry weight. Last time I weighed my girlfriend’s DR, it was around 350. I looked up a thread on ADVRider that seems to report weights in that ballpark.

The CRF300L and rally come in at 309 and 333lb respectively, though a lot of that extra weight comes from the extended fuel tank.

I’m certainly not trying to be pedantic; I just want you to have the most accurate information to base your decisions off of, is all! :) It seems you’re on a good thought path to finding a ride. Keep us updated with what you decide!

Cheers,
James

Last edited:

mnwanders

I’m certainly not trying to be pedantic; I just want you to have the most accurate information to base your decisions off of, is all! :) It seems you’re on a good thought path to finding a ride. Keep us updated with what you decide!

Found a 2009 Kawasaki KLX250s for sale for $2900. This seems like it might be a better option for me for a first season. Price is a lot better for never having ridden, the weight is 280lbs, and it is a six-speed. It is carbureted and not fuel injected, which I know isn't great, but at this price I could pick up this and a street bike for the cost of a CRF300L rally - not that I'm planning to do that. :ROFLMAO:

mnwanders

I got tired of talking and looking and waiting for others to respond to me. A deal popped up early this morning that I couldn't pass up. 2017 CRF250L Rally with 690 miles. The previous owner lowered it by 1.5". I sit completely flat footed on it. Feels a little short right now, but that will probably be good to start with. At least I was able to buy it with the stock parts so I can lift it back to stock height in the future. I'm real happy with it. This might be a new addiction.

064F13E7-3B4D-4C18-B5BB-3EDBD499E4B4_1_105_c.jpeg

motorcycle matt

I got tired of talking and looking and waiting for others to respond to me. A deal popped up early this morning that I couldn't pass up. 2017 CRF250L Rally with 690 miles. The previous owner lowered it by 1.5". I sit completely flat footed on it. Feels a little short right now, but that will probably be good to start with. At least I was able to buy it with the stock parts so I can lift it back to stock height in the future. I'm real happy with it. This might be a new addiction.

View attachment 663264
Welcome to the brotherhood.

Peace and wheelies

Maddmatt

Explorer

View attachment 663264
Love it - now put about 4,000 miles on it in the next month or so, and all your questions will answer themselves, only to be replaced by new questions! Revzilla, Rocky Mtn ATV and Motorcyclegear.com are your new best friends. Welcome to the club!

mnwanders

License now in hand! I spent every night last week at the Basic Rider Course. I’m really glad I went. I learned way more than I expected. I’d say my fellow students universally had the same perspective, even the hot shot 16 year old boys who had spent all their young lives on dirt bikes!

I rode a Yamaha TW200 all week which was a lot of fun, but coming back to my taller and larger tire CRF250 was a bit of an adjustment. I wasn’t nearly as confident on my own bike as I was on the little TW. That being said, my confidence grows with every mile. I can’t believe how I’ve become so obsessed in such a short time! Now I’m already planning my future rider education and my trajectory towards a middleweight ADV. Not to worry though, my wife is keeping me fairly rooted in reality. ?

A big thank you to you all for all the advice, whether I initially accepted it or not, it’s clear that this is a whole new way to adventure and being educated and prepared is much more necessary for this endeavor than with other ways of traveling. Thanks again!

Storz

Explorer
I really enjoyed my DRZ-400sm back in the day, its a little tiresome on the highway though for sure.

51372590092_b3facb6e08.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles