Looking for rtt accessories/ideas

Greybeard415

Greetings Programs,
I am anticipating the delivery of my first roof top tent, a Smittybilt Over lander XL. I see lots of voids suggesting things like telescoping ladder upgrades, adding a condensation pad, led lighting, ceiling light/fan. I see some brands sell a quilted liner for winter camping.

I'm wondering what the DIY (aka- spent enough on the tent, now want some accessories that don't break the bank) folks do or suggest. Ex- saw a set of interlocking tent camping pads with holes in them for under $40. Will these serve as a condensation barrier/extra cushion for under the tent mattress?

What is a better upgrade, changing the mattress out for a foam mattress or adding some of the self inflating mattress pads?

I saw some USB led light strips for $20. Will these be as helpful as an official RTT light strip?

For those who want to/already have upgrades a ladder, what make and model do you suggest? I'm a solid 225lbs, so would a 300lb capacity ladder be the best option or would a 350 or 400 lb capacity be preferred.

Thanks for your insights...
Lee

Roaddude

Long time off-grid vanlife adventurist
Greetings Programs,
I am anticipating the delivery of my first roof top tent, a Smittybilt Over lander XL. I see lots of voids suggesting things like telescoping ladder upgrades, adding a condensation pad, led lighting, ceiling light/fan. I see some brands sell a quilted liner for winter camping.

I'm wondering what the DIY (aka- spent enough on the tent, now want some accessories that don't break the bank) folks do or suggest. Ex- saw a set of interlocking tent camping pads with holes in them for under $40. Will these serve as a condensation barrier/extra cushion for under the tent mattress?

What is a better upgrade, changing the mattress out for a foam mattress or adding some of the self inflating mattress pads?

I saw some USB led light strips for $20. Will these be as helpful as an official RTT light strip?

For those who want to/already have upgrades a ladder, what make and model do you suggest? I'm a solid 225lbs, so would a 300lb capacity ladder be the best option or would a 350 or 400 lb capacity be preferred.

Thanks for your insights...
Lee
I've used a hardshell RTT extensively for several years in all sorts of environments and weather, from desert hot to below freezing.

Here's my take:

- I think you're overthinking a lot of this.

- Yes, use it first for a bunch of nights before you get stuff for it. See what you, and the tent, needs before spending cash.

- Ladders: I'm not much of a fan of telescoping ladders. Those I've seen and used can have problems from time to time when grit, sand, etc slide down inside when you collapse the ladder; creates more maintenance and care. They also have a weird half step sometimes if not fully extended and a few steps are clumped together at one end. As for rating, if you change ladders, go to your local hardware or big box store and look at the ratings. Try out different 10 footers. If it says 300lb you can bet it will handle more safely, just from the mfg's liability standpoint. If you want the extra heft of a more substantial ladder, then get that. It's all common sense, really.

- Lighting: I much prefer having a small globe style rechargeable or battery powered light. I use just one of the pods from my Ready Lights (in the image below on the tray). Two levels of light, magnetic on the back, and has a convenient hook for hanging. You really don't need a lot of light in a small space and do not need a ceiling light, in my experience. You can take a small lamp with you down the ladder if you need when you forgot any other light. You can't take an LED strip that's been installed. I never like the light that any strip light gives, either. I'd much rather have smaller task lights. Feels much more cozy.

What is an official RTT light strip? Don't fall into the trap of doing something because everyone else is.

- Condensation: Don't zip and button up the tent so tight, even if chilly out. Leave an airflow overhead by leaving end windows, or vents if your tent has them, open a bit, seriously. Killing air circulation completely helps create an environment for condensation. I have no condensation mat under my mattress, and have not needed one. Air moving through on a chilly night is a lot more bearable than dampness. Some tents are far better at dealing with condensation than others because they have tent wall fabric that is more breathable, though still water repellent.

- Mattress: all depends on what it comes with. Most are fairly cheap 3" foam. Mine still has what it came with. I keep a fitted sheet on it, and over that, but under me, a large comforter doubled in half, with another sheet. Been fine for years, keeps me from bottoming out with a hip, and provides more insulation. If you replace the mattress, watch the thickness. Get one too thick and it may be difficult to leave as much bedding up there and still close the tent properly.

- Fan: there are some nice 12v fans around, like the Fantastic Endless Breeze, that can be moved from tent to vehicle if needed.

- Best advice? Get a cheap TV tray and leave it up there. It will provide a solid flat surface for setting a drink down, playing cards on, keeping your flashlight, book, lantern, wallet, whatever else from getting lost in the bedding. The edge on the TV tray works wonders for keeping stuff corralled. Makes it much easier in the dark to reach for and find what you're after.

roofnest-tvtray_2391-900.jpg

Have fun with your RTT; try it out, tweak what you want after.

Last edited:

Greybeard415

I've used a hardshell RTT extensively for several years in all sorts of environments and weather, from desert hot to below freezing.

Here's my take:

- I think you're overthinking a lot of this.

- Yes, use it first for a bunch of nights before you get stuff for it. See what you, and the tent, needs before spending cash.

- Ladders: I'm not much of a fan of telescoping ladders. Those I've seen and used can have problems from time to time when grit, sand, etc slide down inside when you collapse the ladder; creates more maintenance and care. They also have a weird half step sometimes if not fully extended and a few steps are clumped together at one end. As for rating, if you change ladders, go to your local hardware or big box store and look at the ratings. Try out different 10 footers. If it says 300lb you can bet it will handle more safely, just from the mfg's liability standpoint. If you want the extra heft of a more substantial ladder, then get that. It's all common sense, really.

- Lighting: I much prefer having a small globe style rechargeable or battery powered light. I use just one of the pods from my Ready Lights (in the image below on the tray). Two levels of light, magnetic on the back, and has a convenient hook for hanging. You really don't need a lot of light in a small space and do not need a ceiling light, in my experience. You can take a small lamp with you down the ladder if you need when you forgot any other light. You can't take an LED strip that's been installed. I never like the light that any strip light gives, either. I'd much rather have smaller task lights. Feels much more cozy.

What is an official RTT light strip? Don't fall into the trap of doing something because everyone else is.

- Condensation: Don't zip and button up the tent so tight, even if chilly out. Leave an airflow overhead by leaving end windows, or vents if your tent has them, open a bit, seriously. Killing air circulation completely helps create an environment for condensation. I have no condensation mat under my mattress, and have not needed one. Air moving through on a chilly night is a lot more bearable than dampness. Some tents are far better at dealing with condensation than others because they have tent wall fabric that is more breathable, though still water repellent.

- Mattress: all depends on what it comes with. Most are fairly cheap 3" foam. Mine still has what it came with. I keep a fitted sheet on it, and over that, but under me, a large comforter doubled in half, with another sheet. Been fine for years, keeps me from bottoming out with a hip, and provides more insulation. If you replace the mattress, watch the thickness. Get one too thick and it may be difficult to leave as much bedding up there and still close the tent properly.

- Fan: there are some nice 12v fans around, like the Fantastic Endless Breeze, that can be moved from tent to vehicle if needed.

- Best advice? Get a cheap TV tray and leave it up there. It will provide a solid flat surface for setting a drink down, playing cards on, keeping your flashlight, book, lantern, wallet, whatever else from getting lost in the bedding. The edge on the TV tray works wonders for keeping stuff corralled. Makes it much easier in the dark to reach for and find what you're after.

View attachment 654293

Have fun with your RTT; try it out, tweak what you want after.

Most helpful and informative. Thank you for your insight

NatersXJ6

Explorer
No doubt you’re well into using the new tent.

I’ll toss in a few ideas anyway.

I use LED strip lights run through a vinyl tube zip tied to the hoops of my tents. I like to be able to read up there and it takes care of that, no issue.

I also added 2 LED dome lights to the bottom surface of the floor near the ladder attachments. It makes a huge improvement in the annex room, or even just visibility in the space under the tent.

Some crazy creek or stadium style chairs in the tent take up no space and make long days in the rain more tolerable.

Paracord zipper pulls on every zipper make life nice when you’re wearing gloves.

Ive added the zipper cord thermometers but decided they were stupid hard to read and you don’t really need a thermometer to determine if you’re hot or cold.

I throw a couple of extra sets of tent hardware and a small sewing kit in one of the interior pockets.

A small whisk broom.

A couple of tie straps of appropriate length to tie down the “open” side of the tent in high winds. I don’t use these often, but when I do the are very important. I usually tie back to the vehicle or trailer frame.

I carry a small 2 step aluminum ladder to assist with setup and provide a bench for show removal at the ground level.

Have fun! RTT are definitely love/hate things, but I’m still on the side of love.

Dogpilot

There where a few items that have been suggested, all are good. I did get a few LED accessory lights. First is a movable adjustable LED rechargeable portable light. It is one of the cleverer designs and shockingly cheap. It's base ratchets, has built in magnets, so it will stick to your car, if it is steel and the base has a carabiner like gate to hang the light.
LED Work Light
I did get some LED strip lights, not from any of the outdoor companies. They seem to like to markup everything about 1,000%. These are simple, very bright and have adhesive to just stick them to the overhead spreader bow. I simply plug them into whatever USB power pack I have lying about. The price now shown is about double what I paid for them back in May. You can find similar ones for under $10 if you poke about on Amazon. Even USB powered white "Fairy lights," are around $5 but you have to scroll though about 5 settings before they just stayed on without flashing or pulsing, give the tent kind of a disco feel.
LED Strip Lights
I got some shade material made for gardens. I don't use it for shade. I stake it flat on the ground under the ladder. It keeps the tent clean and your feet clean while your putting on boots and such.
Shade Cloth
There last item is super helpful, costs $9 on eBay and fits in your glovebox. It hooks to the door latch on your doorframe and gives you a step to access the tent while putting up or down. Hooks on in seconds and is sooooo cheap, you really have no excuse for not having one. Does not take up any space that a small ladder does. The Amazon version cost twice as much but was easier to find while I wrote this.
step
All of this stuff is best ordered now, since it will take until May to get it for the spring camping season, things seem a bit slow lately.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94