Looking for recommendations on some decent cheap 100w rigid solar panels

highwest

I like the folding canvas case type portable solar panels. Much more compact than the typical "solar suitcase" (2 rigid panels with a hinge) like the the 100 watt model that Renogy offers. I carry these in a 4wd for camping and exploring in the back country to maintain the starting battery which is also powering a 12 volt refrigerator.

Currently I own a GrapeSolar 100 watt folding solar panel (unfortunately no longer available :( ), a RockPals folding 100 watt panel, and a Baesan brand 80 watt folding panel. I have recently ordered an Itehil brand 100 folding panel for testing.

The GrapeSolar folding panel has so far been the best unit (cost the most as well, at about $300.) Basically 5 x 20 watt monocrystal panels sewn into canvas folder with a pocket for cords, etc. Very compact and lightweight, with quality construction and good power production. I have owned this panel for 4 years.

The RockPals 100 watt folding panel I was able to purchase on a super sale 1.5 years ago for around $140. Similar to the GrapeSolar model in concept but different in execution. 4 x 25 watt monocrystal panels sewn into a canvas folder with a pocket for cords. Larger in dimensions and heavier in weight than the GrapeSolar unit, but the Construction quality is okay and electrical production is good.

The Baesan 80 watt panel I purchased in April 2021 and while the price was right ($85 on Amazon!) it has been a big disappointment. Electrical production was very poor, like 30 watts mid-day in full sunshine. Construction was okay, but it is really designed for recharging someone's cell phone or tablet not an automotive or house battery.
It seems that most of the folding canvas options have their own built in charge controllers, but I’d like to use my existing charge controller. The only ones without built in charge controllers that I’ve been able to find are AIMS Power and Powerwerx (or uber expensive mil spec types - not ready for that). Any others out there that are reasonable options?

Agreed! I use a Victron SmartSolar 75/15 MPPT.

It seems that most of the folding canvas options have their own built in charge controllers, but I’d like to use my existing charge controller. The only ones without built in charge controllers that I’ve been able to find are AIMS Power and Powerwerx (or uber expensive mil spec types - not ready for that). Any others out there that are reasonable options?

I do use the SmartSolar 75/15 with these panels.

The GrapeSolar and RockPals panels are in another state currently (so I can't double-check) but IIRC the GrapeSolar unit does not have a built-in PWM controller whole the RockPals does. The Baesan panel definitely has a built-in controller which might be part of the reason for the poor electrical production.

Hey, same here! Do you use the aforementioned folding panels (and their charge controllers) with the 75/15?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior