Looking for recommendations on some decent cheap 100w rigid solar panels

I'm tirted of reading, I feel like my head is going to explode. I'd like to buy 200w worth of rigid solar panels. I will be running them through ym redarc, just looking for a set thatis decent and comes somewhat close to the rated 100w.

I'm also kicking around the idea of a folding one for base camp so if you have a recomendation for that as well let me know. I'm not looking for the best thing ever, I just want something thats gonna work decently. Thank you.

I was looking at some weize, but the output is way less then 100w at 5.7a

NatersXJ6

Explorer
I have no way or desire to measure the full load output, but I bought and installed 2x100W Renogy panels a while back and have been happy with the construction, price, durability, shipping speed, etc… Sun availability is so varied that I doubt going out of your way to seek that last 1/10 amp is going to matter. You quickly achieve a point of diminishing returns.

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
Yeah I've had no complaints about value or performance from Renogy here - but also if you watch Craigslist, panels seem to pop up fairly often, and well under $1/watt

plh

Explorer
I have a pair of Newpowa 100 Watt Monocrystalline panels (Amazon) around $90 each shipped via Prime. No issues with them.

billiebob

I just ordered these, I went Renogy because of all the positive comments here.

Canadian Pricing so under $1.00 / watt with the controller and cabling.

86scotty

Cynic
Another vote for Renogy. I've probably bought 10 of them in the last few years. Never had one fail. Once I tried to save a few bucks and go with a lesser known name and the construction wasn't nearly as good. This was on Amazon but I'd have to look up the brand.

I'd stick with Renogy personally.

highwest

I have a pair of Newpowa 100 Watt Monocrystalline panels (Amazon) around $90 each shipped via Prime. No issues with them.
We also had a pair of these with no issues. Built them into a solar briefcase and we abused them on rough roads for ~12mo before selling our trailer.

Reactions: plh
aHank you for the replies, we were thinking about renogy. I'll check out the newpower as well. Read up on that link and apparently the hgst and renogy panels are the same. just cheaper, and less support

I ended up buying 2 new powa mono, 2 poly, and then 2 hgst mono off amazon, all 100w. I'll test them all out and then determ,ine which pair im going to keep. I'll post up results maybe next week just in case anyone is interested. I got 2 frame zies, poly were 26.4 wide, and one of the mono were trhe same dimensions, and then I got one of the 19inch wide mono as I think the form factory may fit my application better.

plh

Explorer
I ended up buying 2 new powa mono, 2 poly, and then 2 hgst mono off amazon, all 100w. I'll test them all out and then determ,ine which pair im going to keep. I'll post up results maybe next week just in case anyone is interested. I got 2 frame zies, poly were 26.4 wide, and one of the mono were trhe same dimensions, and then I got one of the 19inch wide mono as I think the form factory may fit my application better.

I'm excited to see this!

I just did a quick test and was quite disapointed with the hgst panels.

Testing was done on a 12v lead acid car battery on a table with a redarc bcdc1250d, and a cheap asmazon watt/amp meter
Conditions july 25 sea level 91 degrees TIgard Oregon direct sun no clouds in the sky test were done around 5 minutes apart

HQST HSP100P-L 3:00pm was putting out around 55w, would bounce between 54 to 56
HQST HSP100D-L same as the front done 15 minutes after same conditions only averages 54w output. It would bounce between 53-55w
NEWPOWA NPA100S-12H-SQ same was done same day and 3:10 It made it to 76w, and after about 5 minutes it was bouncing between 72-73w.

These were all 100w rated panels. the newpower dimensions were 44.49*20.08*1.18 inches, and the 2 hqst panels one being poly, and 1 being mono were 35.6 x 25.9 x 1.18 in .

I was really disapointed with the hqst panels after reading a lot of good reviews on them. The newpowa on the other hand were great, plus they fit my rack a bit better then the more squareish hqst panels. I'll be returning the hqst panels, and may run a third newpowa

Reactions: plh
I like the folding canvas case type portable solar panels. Much more compact than the typical "solar suitcase" (2 rigid panels with a hinge) like the the 100 watt model that Renogy offers. I carry these in a 4wd for camping and exploring in the back country to maintain the starting battery which is also powering a 12 volt refrigerator.

Currently I own a GrapeSolar 100 watt folding solar panel (unfortunately no longer available :( ), a RockPals folding 100 watt panel, and a Baesan brand 80 watt folding panel. I have recently ordered an Itehil brand 100 folding panel for testing.

The GrapeSolar folding panel has so far been the best unit (cost the most as well, at about $300.) Basically 5 x 20 watt monocrystal panels sewn into canvas folder with a pocket for cords, etc. Very compact and lightweight, with quality construction and good power production. I have owned this panel for 4 years.

The RockPals 100 watt folding panel I was able to purchase on a super sale 1.5 years ago for around $140. Similar to the GrapeSolar model in concept but different in execution. 4 x 25 watt monocrystal panels sewn into a canvas folder with a pocket for cords. Larger in dimensions and heavier in weight than the GrapeSolar unit, but the Construction quality is okay and electrical production is good.

The Baesan 80 watt panel I purchased in April 2021 and while the price was right ($85 on Amazon!) it has been a big disappointment. Electrical production was very poor, like 30 watts mid-day in full sunshine. Construction was okay, but it is really designed for recharging someone's cell phone or tablet not an automotive or house battery.

OllieChristopher

I'm using a 50 watt ACOPOWER rigid mono crystalline panel to keep my dual batteries charged in my truck. It has proven to be very reliable day in day out. You can get a 100 watt one for around 90 bucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier