Looking for recipes for a special Tailgate!

12husky

Adventurer
Tailgate cooking (University of Maryland Football) is similar to Camp cooking so I figured I would seek advice here.

My brother is leaving for Afghanistan this fall and the 8/30 game will be the last one he gets to attend. We generally are big into the tailgates, but this one being his last, we are going all out.

My problem is that he is normally the chef and really enjoys new and different recipes, but I want to do everything I can for this one.

Soooooo, what are everyone's favorites?

I have a month to plan and practice some recipes!:victory: :chef:

bigredpigdriver

Adventurer
1 pound shrimp (16-20 count size), peeled and deveined, tails on
bamboo skewers, soaked for an hour
***Marinade for shrimp***
1 lime, juice and zest only
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon thai chili, minced
2 tablespoons mirin
1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
***Salad***
6 ears grilled corn, kernels shaved from cob
1/2 cup Vidalia onion, diced
1 whole roasted red pepper, diced
1 tomato, seeded and diced
1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 drizzle of olive oil
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 Jalapeno, seeded and diced small (more or less depending on desired hotness)
1 large avocado
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
Mix together all ingredients for marinade and marinate shrimp in Ziploc bag for 1/2 hour in refrigerator.

While marinating, put together the salad. Mix all ingredients up to the jalapenos together except for the lime juice. Just prior to cooking shrimp, dice avocado and squeeze juice of lime thoroughly over avocado to prevent from browning.

Incorporate avocado gently into salad, season with salt and pepper to taste, and cover well with plastic wrap lying along the top of the salad surface.

Heat grill to 400 degrees F.

Skewer the shrimp leaving enough room to handle end of skewer for turning. Season well with salt and pepper. Grill 1-2 minutes per side or until no longer opaque. Do not overcook shrimp as they will dry out and become tough. Arrange shrimp on top of salad. Can be served hot or cold.

Try this out and see how it look to you, This normally does 4-6 persons.

12husky

Adventurer
My brother will love those shrimp, especially since he is from the Chesapeake Bay area, but has been trapped in Ohio for a few years now!

I'm also thinking of doing Scott's Tequila Tomatoes.

Any other ideas? :1888fbbd:

bigredpigdriver

Adventurer
Another is called "The Drunk Pot"...I buy a bunch of chicken legs and blow them In a large pot, a standard deep fry pot for turkey, drain the water, and then add your wing sauce. Now the drunk part come because as you are cooking there seems to be a bit of drink flowing, well once you add the sauce, everyone trys to reach in, cuz it smells so good. There are tons of wing sauces out there to use. enjoy.:eatchicke

jatibb

Adventurer
cuban sandwich
marinate pork loin in orange juice and store bought mojo
black forest ham from deli (boars head)
swiss cheese
mustard/mayo mix (50/50)
pickles

grillpork loin, medium rare. let stand while assembling sandwich parts

layer of loin,layer of ham, layer of swiss cheese, pickles on top, smear of mustard/mayo on bun, inside. place sandwich on grill. grill till brown and crunchy while pressing down (an old kitchen hand towel and cookie sheet work well here)

side.
shrimp cevice

boil shrimp halfway, cool down on ice (to make it speedy prep and eat now)
add sliced cherry tomatoes, onion, cilantro,thinly sliced/diced jicama,LOTS of lime juice, shot of tequila, salt pepper,fresh diced japalenos. let sit 30 min. serve with broken tostada shells

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94