Looking for opinions on AEV Prospector XL

ttengineer

Adventurer
If you don’t live in an area that requires inspections, you may want to consider a delete.

Deleted, the right way with a good tune, and a few accessories like intake, tubes, grid delete, air box, with a re-gear and 40s … 20mpg on a 6.7 diesel is not out of the question.

At that point a diesel, with its longevity and reliability, starts to be a lot more attractive than a gas motor getting max 14mpg even after mods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billiebob

Hey all,
I currently drive a 2022 Ram 1500 TRX and have a camp ovrlnd camper on order. Lately, I have been considering ditching it and getting a 3/4 ton where I won't have to worry about weight and will get the MPG benefit of a diesel. I recently found a 2018 PXL that already has a camper on the back (I'd use it until my ovrlnd is built then try to sell) that I could trade virtually straight up for.

My issue is, I have never gotten a chance to drive a PXL, don't know anyone who has one, and am not sure if I'd really benefit much in terms of MPG given the size an 40" tires.

Anyone out there have any experience with these things? What kind of mileage are you getting with your set up? Just looking for any feedback on these things as it's an out of state deal and I don't want to drive 15 hours, trade in my dream truck then find out I made the wrong move on the drive home. It's at a dealer and they don't know much about it.

Thanks.
Given gas prices today.
Looking back 50 years to the last time gas prices took off.

I'd say wait a year. My bet, just like 50 years ago when the Vega, the Pinto and the Japanese took America by storm.... If gas keeps going up.... if we have gas shortage issues..... things electric will take off and our love affair with the truck will be over. In 12 months things like the Prospector XL might be selling for less than a Prius.

I love trucks, hated the Pinto but as an investment I'm betting on hyper milers today. Used trucks will be a worth pennies tomorrow. And that will be driven by manufacturers, dealers trying to dump inventory.

191551016_2132016083607549_4984954394720371978_n.jpeg

Explorerinil

Observer
Given gas prices today.

I'd say wait a year. My bet, just like 50 years ago when the Vega, the Pinto and the Japanese took America by storm.... If gas keeps going up.... if we have gas shortage issues..... things electric will take off and our love affair with the truck will be over. In 12 months things like the Prospector XL might be selling for less than a Prius.

I love trucks, hated the Pinto but as an investment I'm betting on hyper milers today. Used trucks will be a worth pennies tomorrow. And that will be driven by manufacturers, dealers trying to dump inventory.

View attachment 711452
Yup your right, in 2008 I saw tons of hummers and ram srt10 trucks for sale cheap when gas hit with record highs.

jagarcia89

Given gas prices today.

View attachment 711452

Unfortunately, I Can’t wait a year. I have a camper on order. I can change the order for bed size for the next month or two but have to have the truck locked in by then and a truck to put it on by the summer.

part of me just wants to unload the TRX before prices drop anymore and hope I can find something on a dealer lot in the next few weeks.

Explorerinil

Observer
Unfortunately, I Can’t wait a year. I have a camper on order. I can change the order for bed size for the next month or two but have to have the truck locked in by then and a truck to put it on by the summer.

part of me just wants to unload the TRX before prices drop anymore and hope I can find something on a dealer lot in the next few weeks.
I doubt the prices will drop, much, the trx is new and prices were high. But with the announcement of the end of the 6.2 hellcat in 2023, people will want those trucks, it’s unknown what power plant the trx will get next.

jagarcia89

I doubt the prices will drop, much, the trx is new and prices were high. But with the announcement of the end of the 6.2 hellcat in 2023, people will want those trucks, it’s unknown what power plant the trx will get next.
I know what power plant it will get. All I can say is it won't be less fuel efficient

dstefan

Here's the calculator I put together with some of my existing gear. Weight of the Ovrlnd is an estimate. Weight of the bikes is estimated high to account for the associated gear and the 60 beers is just the capacity of the cooler. So while some things are estimated and some estimated high, there are defintely small odds and ends not included. The current calculation has me very close to max payload. Obviously, the TRX has the power to move more, but the rear on these things are quite soft and there are currently no solutions in the market as far as stiffer coils or helper springs so my concern is sagging
So, being a Toyota guy, can't help on the TRX vs PXL, but can give you some feedback on the Ovrlnd weight issues: Just weighed my now completed and fully, but fairly lightly built rig last week on the way back from a trip and was a little surprised at how heavy it was. That's largely my fault for being a belt and suspenders guy, mostly due to traveling as a solo rig, and going some difficult places. Too much reco and SHTF gear, extra water, fuel etc.

FWIW, I went with the Ovrlnd specifically to avoid the HD 3/4 ton headaches others are mentioning. Looked at F250s and a FWC, but camper issues aside, didn't like the weight, size and turning issues with the bigger truck. Figured the Tundra (at a 4 ft bigger turning radius than my Tacoma, and 5 ft LESS than a Ram 2500 or Superduty) was the trade off to make, and I'm happy about it.

Truck weighed on CAT scales at bone stock: 5900 lbs with me and wifey (282)
Truck, bone stock with Ovrlnd and 58lbs of some bed prep for build out ; 6320 lbs. Camper weight (unmodded) = 362
After camper build out (detailed on the Ovrlnd only thread, but insulated, electric system and cables, heater, fridge, 100lbs of built ins, 8 gals water), truck mods (34s, sliders, OBA, Alu skids, suspension, HD Deavers, heavy cable fm alternator back to camper, regear, lockers, but NO heavy bumpers, winch etc) and pretty close to fully (over)loaded coming home, except for some food and water: 7680 lbs

My specific payload was rated at 1290, the truck GVWR is 7100. I'm not over my combined axle VWR, but heavier than I'd like or thought I'd be. Took EVERYTHING not fastened down out of the truck, weighed each item and weighed the fully built out, empty rig (again with me and wifey) and it was 7100 lbs on the nose. So I'm gonna pare down some unnecessary stuff and get it down about 200lbs, and I'll be fine with that. I'm gonna guess your camper, once you do the inevitable add-on's and mods will add more weight than you're planning for, BUT I don't really thing these campers need an HD truck as long as we are deliberate about what we bring. Can't speak to your rear coil issues though . . .

With the regear to 4.88s and running Cooper AT3 XLs at 45psi and loaded I got 14.2mpg coming back from our recent trip from Kingman to Phoenix with headwinds at times and up and downs. Regear definitely helped.

This last trip did some very rocky, bouldery, ledgy, sandy, remote tight trails in NV. No problems. There were also three times I'm glad to not have had to manage some turn arounds with a longer wheelbase or longer truck body, with a bigger turning radius. Point being, I didn't need 40's or a larger HD truck to go anywhere I wanted to be or to carry the load. I'm betting you don't either, but that's a personal choice. YMMV.

Not sure about the TRX as it's specialty 1/2 ton. But if you're careful with weight and can augment the rear springs you may well be fine

Hope this helps your decision process a bit . . .

jagarcia89

So, being a Toyota guy, can't help on the TRX vs PXL, but can give you some feedback on the Ovrlnd weight issues: Just weighed my now completed and fully, but fairly lightly built rig last week on the way back from a trip and was a little surprised at how heavy it was. That's largely my fault for being a belt and suspenders guy, mostly due to traveling as a solo rig, and going some difficult places. Too much reco and SHTF gear, extra water, fuel etc.

FWIW, I went with the Ovrlnd specifically to avoid the HD 3/4 ton headaches others are mentioning. Looked at F250s and a FWC, but camper issues aside, didn't like the weight, size and turning issues with the bigger truck. Figured the Tundra (at a 4 ft bigger turning radius than my Tacoma, and 5 ft LESS than a Ram 2500 or Superduty) was the trade off to make, and I'm happy about it.

Truck, bone stock with Ovrlnd and 58lbs of some bed prep for build out ; 6320 lbs. Camper weight (unmodded) = 362
After camper build out (detailed on the Ovrlnd only thread, but insulated, electric system and cables, heater, fridge, 100lbs of built ins, 8 gals water), truck mods (34s, sliders, OBA, Alu skids, suspension, HD Deavers, heavy cable fm alternator back to camper, regear, lockers, but NO heavy bumpers, winch etc) and pretty close to fully (over)loaded coming home, except for some food and water: 7680 lbs

My specific payload was rated at 1290, the truck GVWR is 7100. I'm not over my combined axle VWR, but heavier than I'd like or thought I'd be. Took EVERYTHING not fastened down out of the truck, weighed each item and weighed the fully built out, empty rig (again with me and wifey) and it was 7100 lbs on the nose. So I'm gonna pare down some unnecessary stuff and get it down about 200lbs, and I'll be fine with that. I'm gonna guess your camper, once you do the inevitable add-on's and mods will add more weight than you're planning for, BUT I don't really thing these campers need an HD truck as long as we are deliberate about what we bring. Can't speak to your rear coil issues though . . .

With the regear to 4.88s and running Cooper AT3 XLs at 45psi and loaded I got 14.2mpg coming back from our recent trip from Kingman to Phoenix with headwinds at times and up and downs. Regear definitely helped.

This last trip did some very rocky, bouldery, ledgy, sandy, remote tight trails in NV. No problems. There were also three times I'm glad to not have had to manage some turn arounds with a longer wheelbase or longer truck body, with a bigger turning radius. Point being, I didn't need 40's or a larger HD truck to go anywhere I wanted to be or to carry the load. I'm betting you don't either, but that's a personal choice. YMMV.

Not sure about the TRX as it's specialty 1/2 ton. But if you're careful with weight and can augment the rear springs you may well be fine

This is fantastic information. Thank you. If it wasn't for the suspension sagging- I'd be fine with pushing the payload a bit. This truck is overbuilt and meant for highspeed off road. When I have the camper on and gear, I won't be going fast so I'm not worried about breaking something or anything like that- just the springs. Maybe between now and August/september someone will come up with a stiffer coil option for these things. Or worst case, I suppose I can always trade it in for for a regular Ram 1500 with air suspension or regular coils that I can get helper springs/airbags for.

nickw

Adventurer

What use is "combined axle VWR", are you adding your front + rear GAWR to get that number? It doesn't really tell you much if so. I've always seen it as a front or rear number since you can be over the axle rating, but still under your payload.

UglyViking

Is that number hand calculated? Not calling you a lier but with that Tundra loaded down the way you state, plus larger tires, even with a regear your mpg seems high.

Also, not to point the finger but your full comment about how loaded your Tundra is pretty much sums up 90% of the overland crowd, especially in the toyota/jeep realm. It's why I find it funny how concerned the 2500 crowd can get over the payload sticker. I've got no doubt your truck can handle everything you've got on it, and probably more. It's just funny how the guys with almost no payload have no prob going over where as the guys with way overbuilt trucks are terrified of even getting close to payload. Again, not bagging on you, I just find it funny.

dstefan

What use is "combined axle VWR", are you adding your front + rear GAWR to get that number? It doesn't really tell you much if so. I've always seen it as a front or rear number since you can be over the axle rating, but still under your payload.
Well, I probably shouldn't have termed it that way. My front axle WR is 4,000Lbs front and 4,150 rear. My loaded weight front was 3829 front and 3860 rear. I agree, it's not meaningful, and in fact not good if a vehicle is overweight one axle but under the combined and you convince yourself it's OK.

Is that number hand calculated? Not calling you a lier but with that Tundra loaded down the way you state, plus larger tires, even with a regear your mpg seems high.

Also, not to point the finger but your full comment about how loaded your Tundra is pretty much sums up 90% of the overland crowd, especially in the toyota/jeep realm. It's why I find it funny how concerned the 2500 crowd can get over the payload sticker. I've got no doubt your truck can handle everything you've got on it, and probably more. It's just funny how the guys with almost no payload have no prob going over where as the guys with way overbuilt trucks are terrified of even getting close to payload. Again, not bagging on you, I just find it funny.

I also agree the whole payload dance, both by drivers and by auto makers is comical. It's really hard to pin down. I DO have a problem going over, and would rather not be, but as long as I'm in the margin of the AWRs and can pare the GVWR back a bit I'm OK with it. I specifically researched all sorts of vehicles and chose the Tundra for the combination of size, comfort, driveablity, and ruggedness. I like that it has 10.5 rear diff and axle from Toyota's Hino 3/4 ton commercial trucks, though just semi-float. I know all the arguments on "you can't increase payload" and have no desire to rehash them, but given tires with far more capability, stronger wheels, and stronger springs all compared to stock, along with Toyota's engineering margins, as well as being under both AWRs, I'm fine with where I'm at. When I was hot on a FWC, the only consideration for me was a 3/4 ton, but with the lighter camper, I liked the Tundra better.

As to MPG, I do hand calculate it. I use TFL Trucks method of auto pump shut off, wait 30 seconds and give it one click. When I was regeared, they installed a Hypertech speedo calibration. I checked it with a Bad Elf GPS (used a lot in aviation) over several 100 mile routes as we have traveled. My stock Tundra tires were rated at 648 revolutions per mile, my Coopers are 611 a 5.7% difference. The Hypertech is not perfect and got it down to a 3.8% difference, GPS checked. I corrected my miles by that and got the 14.2.

FWIW, bone stock and empty with just me and my wife driving from South Phoenix to Flagstaff -- an hour of flatish highway, then mixed steep uphill, but some big downs too -- we got near 17 without the camper. We picked up the camper and got 16 on the trip back -- more downhill but less aerodynamic with the camper. On two trips to SoCal with the camper and truck in different stages of build and not fully loaded we got low 15 mpg. HOWEVER, I don't drive like your grandpa. I drive like your great great grandpa.:D I accelerate really slowly and only go 65 mph with the camper. I use every hypermile-ing trick in book, including coasting on any downhill I can and being willing to slow further going up hill. Pre-regearing, I was getting in the 13 to 14 range. I haven't had enough trips with the regear to know where it'll come out, but my seat of the pants feel is that it offsets the tire size change very well, and some of the weight. The big camper problem is the aero drag hence only going 65. Don't get behind me on the highway!

BTW, in my experience, when someone says "I'm not calling you a _______" most people tend to think that's exactly what they're doing. But don't worry. I'm not offended and I'm not calling you a [fill in the blank] :ROFLMAO:
I'm not trying to tout the Tundra or 1/2 tons or brag about anything, just wanted to give a fellow Ovrlnd camper owner some feedback on my experiences and this was the forum he posted in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online