Looking for opinions of the OME HD springs for JK

g man

29ceb067812f7eaa8bb62f586c6112a6.heic

So, just like the title says, I’m looking for opinions.

Currently, our 2016 JK has the Mopar 4” lift. This is how we bought it. I’m considering letting this thing down a bit. To accomplish this, I’m thinking about swapping to OME 2” HD springs for front and rear. I see that the rear is offered in a “zero weight”, 300lb and 600lb. Here are my questions:

1) overall, what’s the consensus of the OME springs? We daily drive, haul whatever that will fit into the back and would like to set this up for some overland exploring/camping.

2) If my primary setup is described above, meaning we aren’t constantly loaded heavy and a camp trailer doesn’t live behind this rig, would the 300lb rear springs be a “happy medium” for us? This would be my logic. I’m just looking for a 2nd opinion as sometimes my logic is off.

If you have other options, let’s hear them.

We do not crawl this Jeep, which is why I’m drawn to the OME equipment. Give me experiences, opinions and whatever input you think will help me with my decision.

Thanks to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Justincredible

Adventurer
I would say your thinking is right on the money.
Here's what the 300lb springs look like on mine with 33" tires:
34337235_10210947504516165_2204019771396063232_n.jpg

In 50k miles they have never sagged or unseated. They are a bit too stiff for the 2 door, in my opinion, but that should make them just perfect for the 4 door.

I had themon my land cruiser tj 100 and that were flawless. I also had them on my jku 3.5 inch heVy duty OME I needed them because my winch bumper combo pretty much flattened the stock spring. They were great as a spring goes BUT. After. 6 years the black coating delaminated and pealed off not what I expected from OME. No help from the manufacturer. Springs ought to last more than 6 years. Especially since this was not fording oceans and stuff

g man

I had considered AEV, as well as others. There were 2 factors that made me shy to go this route.

1) It seems that AEV (similar to most companies) are selling complete systems. I already own a complete system. I don’t want the additional expense of parts I don’t necessarily need. I want to decrease the amount of lift I have by approximately 1.5” while enhancing the load capacity just a bit.

2) (not including AEV), many other JK performance suspension systems are designed (engineered) toward the crawler crowd. Nothing wrong with that other than they’re not necessarily designed (engineered) toward carrying additional weight. OME springs are designed toward overlanding (which includes carrying additional weight). I’m not looking to pack the load of a 3/4 ton truck, I just need to know our JK will perform when we throw the weight of additional gear (or a small camp trailer) onto it.

AEV makes well thought out products. I own their front bumper. I really wanted aluminum as I live in the rust belt. When making my decision for this, I continued to find myself back on the AEV website. Even though they’re bumper wasn’t aluminum, (for me) it had the best features as well as fit and finish.

Thank you for the suggestions. Unless the Mopar arms with OME springs are going to screw up the suspension geometry, I think I will go this route.

All good points!

I don't have any experience with OME but I've never heard anything negative either.

I also didn't mean anything negative with my comment about AEV = Mopar. Heck, I have the AEV DS system on my JKR. I think one of the top dogs at AEV came from Jeep Engineering and that some of the products they have now developed, R&D'd and sell end up under the Mopar moniker. Again... I may be mixing up my facts.

I'm sure whatever route you choose will work out great... have you considered airbags in the rear to compensate for extra weight?
I think they make some that go inside the coils and are adjustable for just the reason you're talking about.

Good luck either way and let us know how it goes.

Happy 4th

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

g man

Happy Independence Day!

Groundhawg, I believe you are correct. Several AEV engineers came from Jeep. Also, no offense taken. I understand and appreciate the suggestion, I just hate to waste the money on a complete system if it’s unnecessary.

I have also considered the inner spring air bags. Several run them - even if they have the higher capacity springs.

My main objective now is to lower the height and enhance carrying capacity.

The current system is better suited with 37”s (BFG A/T) and even though the looks would be awesome, I don’t need that much tire. Also, by avoiding that much tire I can avoid the need for upgraded power/drivetrain/etc.

Happy Independence Day!

Groundhawg, I believe you are correct. Several AEV engineers came from Jeep. Also, no offense taken. I understand and appreciate the suggestion, I just hate to waste the money on a complete system if it’s unnecessary.

I have also considered the inner spring air bags. Several run them - even if they have the higher capacity springs.

My main objective now is to lower the height and enhance carrying capacity.

The current system is better suited with 37”s (BFG A/T) and even though the looks would be awesome, I don’t need that much tire. Also, by avoiding that much tire I can avoid the need for upgraded power/drivetrain/etc.

We are on the same page for sure!
No sense in changing a thing but the springs and maybe consider air bags later if it suits you. You could even throw some coils spring spacers in the rear to achieve the the same thing so the Heep isn't sagging with the extra weight. As I know you're aware... one thing at a time to see where you're at.

I think I even confused myself
It's this dang healthy diet trying to get my BP down. My brain is being deprived ?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Outdoorsben

Observer
OME makes top notch stuff. Only thing I would take into consideration is what else has or should be changed besides the springs? Are the angles still going to be correct and/or any need for axle centering back to the wheels as I assume you have adjustable arms. Are those 37s? Would you be getting new tires?

SilicaRich

Wandering Inverted
I cannot speak for how they work on a JK but love my custom HD OME suspension on my TJ. Going on two years on them without any complaints. Mine rides a little stiffer on a regular basis since it is setup to ride with a fuller load (I prefer a slightly stiffer ride compared to something too soft personally) but rides and handles great.

ratled

Adventurer
I know you don't want a whole new system but at about $500 the Rancho 2" four coil "lift" with 9000xl shocks it has served me well on my JKU. I have dual batteries, winch and the hi lift on the front still keeps it nice and level. I got about 2'" over stock and leveled out the front. Going down from the 4" shouldn't be an issue. You might even be able to sell the parts for your 4" and cover the cost on the new.

ratled

Last edited:

g man

Good point, ratled. My plan is that I would only be swapping springs. The OME are around $300 or less for both front and rear.

Thanks for the input

Weeds

Adventurer
I have had the OME heavy duty for 8 years with not problems. My JK is fully loaded with all the heavy stuff. It may even sag a bit in the rear when fully loaded including 10 gallons of gas on the rear bumper. The jeep still rides good. One side note, the OME Nitro shocks only lasted until the warranty expired. Two of them failed. I guess washboard roads at 30 mph fully loaded can do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles