Looking for new off road camper trailer

GkraneTX

I am doing research on buying a new offroad camper trailer and I have to say I am very excited. This will be used for driving down the beaches and camping while surf fishing in South Texas in the gulf. I have been looking at the VRV Flyer https://teardropsbyvrv.com/ and the Expedition BRX1 https://www.brxtrailers.com/ and these seem to fit the bill. I will definitely need Air Conditioning as the South Texas heat and humidity is brutal. Does anyone have any experience with either of these brands? Also, will an aluminum outer shell hold up much better in the salty sandy climate than a poly fiberglass one? The fiberglass ones seem cheaper overall in price but I am sure there is a reason for it. Glad to be on board Expediyion Portal and thanks in advance for your help.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I've been testing a TAXA Tiger Moth trailer. the one huge advantage of this trailer is you can sit up like a human inside.

If you are going to be using it mostly on the sand and you won't need a really heavy duty off-road trailer.

So far I put over 10, 000 miles on this trailer in 2 months to include over 2, 000 miles of extreme off-road driving to Prudhoe Bay and Tuk .

Attachments

• IMG_20180724_205957072.jpg
    IMG_20180724_205957072.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 258
  • IMG_20180705_232439805_HDR~01.jpg
    IMG_20180705_232439805_HDR~01.jpg
    842.4 KB · Views: 255

GkraneTX

The sand is sometimes very rutted and hard so I think an offroad one would be best. Also, the beach goes on for 50 miles with no services so getting buried up to the axle would be no good.

Clweed

I just bought the VRV ECO FLYER, taking it to New Mexico and Colorado in a few weeks. Check out VRV owners group , Matt has posted a few videos of the flyer on some the passes in Colorado

I am in Houston and will be taking it to the beach also, another reason that I chose all aluminum.
I can say that it is very well built and Tom is great to deal with.

IMG_1695.JPGIMG_1695.JPGIMG_0840.JPGIMG_0840.JPG

Bschiavone

I am doing research on buying a new offroad camper trailer and I have to say I am very excited. This will be used for driving down the beaches and camping while surf fishing in South Texas in the gulf. I have been looking at the VRV Flyer https://teardropsbyvrv.com/ and the Expedition BRX1 https://www.brxtrailers.com/ and these seem to fit the bill. I will definitely need Air Conditioning as the South Texas heat and humidity is brutal. Does anyone have any experience with either of these brands? Also, will an aluminum outer shell hold up much better in the salty sandy climate than a poly fiberglass one? The fiberglass ones seem cheaper overall in price but I am sure there is a reason for it. Glad to be on board Expediyion Portal and thanks in advance for your help.

I too am researching a camper trailer and am considering the Moby1 XTR. Have you thought about this one?

panoel

Check out Escapade Campers, LLC out of Dassel, MN.
They make an AR trailer in a few sizes, exceptional quality and great folks to work with.

Attachments

• Escapade with rack.jpg
    Escapade with rack.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 92
  • galley stove shelf.jpg
    galley stove shelf.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 92

GkraneTX

I too am researching a camper trailer and am considering the Moby1 XTR. Have you thought about this one?
I did look at the moby1 but while I was researching came across some threads and videos of them having problems with water leaks. Not sure if this has been resolved. I really like the VRV but I do not see a water storage tank or a portable shower and these are a must for me to rinse off saltwater after a day of fishing. I am nowhere near handy enough to add anything like that myself.

Clweed

Yes I installed it and the roadshower 4
For the Awning you drill 4 holes in the rack and the roadshower clamps on
IMG_4478.JPGIMG_4479.JPG

GkraneTX

Check out Escapade Campers, LLC out of Dassel, MN.
They make an AR trailer in a few sizes, exceptional quality and great folks to work with.
I did look at them. I think they have a wood cabin frame which wont do too well in the extreme humidity of South Texas. I want something with an aluminum cabin frame that will also support a top mounted A/C unit.

Livinlite makes an aluminum travel trailer with 12ft box among others. Not really an offroad camper, but you can modify it. For sand you just need a little more ground clearance. Maybe they will let you option it out with more clearance similar to their jeep/rock climber pop up.

GkraneTX

I think the inTech Pursuit looks promising too. No onboard water but a roadshower could be added, price seems ok too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94