Looking for Japanese dual sport bike

robert

Expedition Leader
200 is the minimum I'd be looking at unless you just like old bikes (I ride an old CB175 a good bit just 'cause I can). The 250s are a lot more popular if you plan to ride it on the road and you can often find a good deal on a newer model bike when someone decides they want something larger. In fact, I'm not sure that there are any dual sports under 200cc currently being sold. Check Adventure Rider's equipment exchange- there's been a lot of good deals lately including a couple of KTMs. :drool: I'd say look at Honda Trail 90s and 110s but they seem to be going up in price lately too.

Last edited:

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
Yahama TW200s are fantastic for exploring around backroads and tackling pretty good difficult trails, too, but they are not so great on the pavement (very low gearing). They are small-framed, too, so if you are over 5'9 or so, you will feel scrunched up. You can find them for very good prices because they are so popular for training, then people move up in cc.

I love my Honda NX250 - extremely comfortable, better for taller people, and great on highway, for its size (will do 65 no problem) with good gearing. But it's very capable on the dirt. Love it. Can find them for around $1500 in good shape.

Good luck!

VicHanson

Adventurer
Thanks, guys. It will be mostly for off-road, but also will want to use it to run to town for a few groceries, check my email, etc. Also want it freeway legal in case I have to go a few miles on the freeway to get to town or to a nice hiking place. Don't plan on traveling very far on road with it.

Also want it as small and light as possible to put up into the camper. I am only 5'7" and 150 lb. so don't need a big bike.

etbadger

Adventurer
When were were living out of our van we hauled an older Honda XR250. It was pretty cheap (1200), relatively light (250lbs~), and capable (barely) of doing 60 on flat&level with both of us on it.

We chose it for a number of reasons, primarily that it was available when we needed it, but also simple (air-cooled), and they are everywhere if I need spares of anything.

It lived out in the elements for over 2 years, with sporadic use, and always started first-kick, with not a single mechanical issue.

-e

2007-01%20-%20Death%20Valley,%20CA%20142.jpg

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
When were were living out of our van we hauled an older Honda XR250. It was pretty cheap (1200), relatively light (250lbs~), and capable (barely) of doing 60 on flat&level with both of us on it.

We chose it for a number of reasons, primarily that it was available when we needed it, but also simple (air-cooled), and they are everywhere if I need spares of anything.

It lived out in the elements for over 2 years, with sporadic use, and always started first-kick, with not a single mechanical issue.

-e

Great shot, Eric!

x2 on the Honda XRs - and the other reason I got mine, too, was the simplicity anywhere for working on it. And they do run and run and run.

VicHanson

Adventurer
Looking at XR250s and others, I see that some are dirt only and others are licensed for the street. Is it easy to equip an off road bike for street use? How much does it cost? How about registration?

Thanks, Vic

etbadger

Adventurer
Looking at XR250s and others, I see that some are dirt only and others are licensed for the street. Is it easy to equip an off road bike for street use? How much does it cost? How about registration?

Thanks, Vic

In the mid '90s Honda made a street legal version called the XL250 with lights, horn, passenger pegs, etc. Another option is to do what we did and install a street-legal conversion kit from a place like BajaDesigns and get your title converted to one for a street-legal vehicle (if possible).

-e

robert

Expedition Leader
Depending on where you live, it can be anywhere from easy as filling out the paperwork to impossible to license a former dirtbike for street use. The Baja Designs kits are very nice (especially their racing kits), but expect to pay over $400 to get the kit and get it up and running (especially if your state has those ridiculous inspections with smog checks). Add in the cost of the paperwork in some areas and it may not be worth it with considering the availability of already titled bikes. Just something to factor in when you are looking at the costs.

One other thing that may be important for you, if you are going to be using it to run to town for groceries and such is that some of the bikes out there don't have very substantial subframes and won't carry much load on the rear at all. While I do it occasionally, I'm not a fan of wearing a pack on my back while riding as I consider it an additional risk if I go down. A bag full of cans and irregularly shape objects held against my spine just bothers me.

VicHanson

Adventurer
Thanks, Robert.

Yeah, I just looked at their site and they want $450+ for the Honda kits, and those are only for the newer models. I will stick with already street legal bikes.

Vic

Purzell

Adventurer
Tw200

+1 on the TW200.

The older TW's have a kick start and an automatic (mine is a 92 with both) which is great if your e-start fails you.

I've had an NX250 too but it was e-start only and the parts are hard to come by (cool bike though, like a mini Transalp.)

The TW's are light weight and that huge fat rear tire can go almost anywhere. I'm a novice rider and my TW has saved my butt many times. Height is good for less confident riders too.

And they're dual sports so they can go on the road. I commute on the highway a short distance with mine and it's fine. Easy to find in your price range.

Try ADVrider.com for more info too. Have fun!

Curtis in Texas

Adventurer
+ 2 on the TW.

They are light enough to toss up on a bumper carrier and fast enough to get you into town. If you don't want it for your only transportation I think they are just the ticket. BTY, I ride a tricked out KLR, so I've got nothing to gain. BUt I respect them for what they are.

I have a friend who rode one all the way to North Carolina from Texas and back.
They have a lot of aftermarket support and can carry two up when needed.

They are small enough your size would be just right for it.

The TW gets like a gazillion miles to the gallon and are sold everywhere, so parts are easy to find world wide.

My .02cents

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94

Members online