Looking for input - removable LiFePO4 solution with alternator/solar charging

Justin Cook

I've got one on order from Northern AZ Wind & Sun. They said mid-March but with hopes of a few sooner than that.
Yeahhhh there are sellers who have had these listed since about October/November and I guess we could have done the same, but then we have to keep track of these orders sitting around... we're just holding off listing them for sale until they're actually here in the warehouse. Nothin' against Northern AZ though, I actually like them and have ref'd more than a few people to them for stuff we don't carry... they seem like a good company.

Oilbrnr

I've got one on order from Northern AZ Wind & Sun. They said mid-March.
Yeahhhh there are sellers who have had these listed since about October/November and I guess we could have done the same, but then we have to keep track of these orders sitting around... we're just holding off listing them for sale until they're actually here in the warehouse. Nothin' against Northern AZ though, I actually like them and have ref'd more than a few people to them for stuff we don't carry... they seem like a good company.
I knew that they weren’t available when I placed the order. Local Flagstaff company that I’ve delt with for over 20 years.

Last edited:

Justin Cook

I'll bet. It's hard enough to keep it all straight. Have your Orion-Tr Smarts arrived yet?
FYI -all interested- our Orion-Tr Smarts are physically in stock now. Been waiting to list them until we literally had them in hand, our first order of the 12/12-30s just showed up about 10 minutes ago. We have 40 in this order, with another 50 in a couple of weeks... so far we only have about 10 pre-orders that we need to fill, so we'll have stock for a while.

shade

FYI -all interested- our Orion-Tr Smarts are physically in stock now. Been waiting to list them until we literally had them in hand, our first order of the 12/12-30s just showed up about 10 minutes ago. We have 40 in this order, with another 50 in a couple of weeks... so far we only have about 10 pre-orders that we need to fill, so we'll have stock for a while.
If I order a second, it'll come from you. I really appreciate vendor participation, and rarely see it at your level.

Justin Cook

If I order a second, it'll come from you. I really appreciate vendor participation, and rarely see it at your level.
Thanks @shade, we always appreciate support! I try to stay out on these forums (I think I'm on ~16 different ones now) mostly to try to head off components being improperly used and/or systems from being improperly/unsafely designed rather than trying to specifically sell stuff, but when me sharing product/system knowledge and/or opinions brings us another customer, it definitely makes the boss happy, so it works out pretty well for all concerned :p

edit: Well, that and plus people are doing cool stuff out here, so I'm pretty happy with getting paid to be out here looking at people's rigs and adventures ?

Last edited:

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I have been testing the Dometic PLB 40, So far it has worked well beyond other systems I have tried, I plugged my fridge in to it and plugged the PLB 40 in to the Cigar socket and it remained at 100% for 2 days, so I unplugged it on the third day and ran the fridge from the PLB 40 and on the 4th day 27 hours later All the fridge had used was 14% of the power, I then plugged the PLB 40 back in to the Cigar socket and it was fully charged within 20/30 minutes,

So far the PLB 40 seems like the ultimate power source, Nothing comes close, and I have not had to buy any charge controllers or fancy DC to DC chargers But even more important I have not had to hard wire anything in to the vehicles electronics so I have avoided any issues with the Vehicles on board computers throwing up error codes etc, My 12v system is not connected to the Vehicles electronics and my 240v system is also a stand alone system so if either system fails the other two systems still function.

Using the PLB 40 for 4 days and 4 nights was painless and trouble free even in 24*f weather with the PLB 40 sitting behind the front passenger seat in the second row foot well.

Steve321

Is there any reason we can't have our PLB-40 feeding both:
a) fridge freezer
b) a $150 buck 36,000mAmp power bank

at the same time?

Maybe my math is wrong - but this would effectively increase the capacity of our secondary storage to 76Amp. 40Amp would be feeding the fridge freezer when we aren't drawing from solar or the inverter, and the other 36 Amp would be feeding laptops/phones/internal lights/12v fans/etc....without impacting the power available to the fridge.

This sounds almost too good to be true..am I missing something?

67cj5

Man On a Mission
Is there any reason we can't have our PLB-40 feeding both:
a) fridge freezer
b) a $150 buck 36,000mAmp power bank

at the same time?

Maybe my math is wrong - but this would effectively increase the capacity of our secondary storage to 76Amp. 40Amp would be feeding the fridge freezer when we aren't drawing from solar or the inverter, and the other 36 Amp would be feeding laptops/phones/internal lights/12v fans/etc....without impacting the power available to the fridge.

This sounds almost too good to be true..am I missing something?
I am not sure if you can slave one off the other, But that serves little purpose because you are better off running them as two separate units because when one is low you can run the other one whilst charging the other, But by linking two together you will use all the power but you will have nothing in reserve, I have 3x 110Ah batteries but I try to run my fridges from the PLB's because they charge faster than deep cycle batteries.

hour

Observer
secondary storage to 76Amp.
40Amp would be feeding the fridge freezer when we aren't drawing from solar or the inverter, and the other 36 Amp would be feeding laptops/phones/internal lights/12v fans/etc....without impacting the power available to the fridge.

Sounds like you would be using the 36ah 3.7v power bank separately then? I do that with my lifepo4 portables. Charge with solar or vehicle and use a 100w USB-PD charger to charge other power banks (45w in), or my macbook (87w or whatever max in), same thing in my mind. Use the smaller power banks separately at night while the larger pack runs fridge/furnace/whatever. Reconnect in the morning if I think I'll be getting significant charge, or after main pack is full - or charged enough to run fridge/furnace the rest of the day/night. If you're talking about combining them then something tells me you may run in to issues where the 36ah power bank doesn't know if it's to be charging the dometic or accepting charge from the dometic. I have one power bank that does that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles