Looking for info: Warn classic bumper 88-98 GM c/k

greengreer

Adventurer
Thanks again to craigslist I just picked up a Warn classic (w/o grillguard) for my '98 k2500. I remember reading a while back that for the 6.5td trucks, Warn sold a air scoop kit that went under the bumper, to compensate for the cooling needs of the diesel. Anyone got any pictures of these? I am trying to get some ideas of what they did before I start to build one.

Also if anyone has any documents or info on this bumper I would love to have a copy!

I will be sending a similiar email to Warn, but I figured some of you guys may have some knowledge on the topic.

Thanks!

FellowTraveler

Explorer
WARN under bumper air scoop

As per your request, it is the upper unit you can fabricate the scoop/air dam yourself on the cheap since I had taken picture below I have extended mine lower to catch more air at speed this was required because I use waterless engine coolant@ "0" psi EVANS. Evans waterless coolant prevents cavitation in the diesel under all conditions, however, the waterless coolant takes more heat from the motor and that heat is harder to remove from the coolant that it is when using Etheline glycol and water solution the most common coolant in vehicle these days.

The lower charge air cooler has been reconfigured w/air dam being eliminated and placed further back to draw air from behind charge air cooler, while this configuration looks to be prone to damage it is not and have never had issues on the trails either.

1999 k2500 Burb 016.jpg

Warn Industries

Supporting Vendor
Just found this in our 1998 catalog:

classic-mounting-system.jpg

- Andy

Last edited:

greengreer

Adventurer
Thanks for the replies.

I made one today with some sheet metal. Mounted the PMD on it. Still needs paint, but didn't cost me anything but a few hours. It will work fine for now but I think I might try and find some aluminum that's a bit thicker to stiffen it up. I will try and gets some pics posted up for anyone thats interested.

FellowTraveler- how wide is the opening on your's? I made mine 3" (by 24"). when measuring the area of the stock 'nostrils' I got 60.75"sq iirc, Mine worked out to 72"sq.

FellowTraveler

Explorer
Thanks for the replies.

I made one today with some sheet metal. Mounted the PMD on it. Still needs paint, but didn't cost me anything but a few hours. It will work fine for now but I think I might try and find some aluminum that's a bit thicker to stiffen it up. I will try and gets some pics posted up for anyone thats interested.

FellowTraveler- how wide is the opening on your's? I made mine 3" (by 24"). when measuring the area of the stock 'nostrils' I got 60.75"sq iirc, Mine worked out to 72"sq.

Its exactly as wide as the inside of chassis rails and I'm guessing 6" in height, here's an image of my PMD's one is just above winch on drivers side and the other under lower lip of bumper, I'll attach an image of the wider scoop tomorrow and better picture of top PMD.
1999 k2500 Burb 013.jpg1999 k2500 Burb 015.jpg

greengreer

Adventurer
Finally rediscovered my camera and snapped some pics last night, sorry for the long delay. Oh and thanks for all the help!

nickpick078_zps29416625.jpg

nickpick076_zpsb0e55cc5.jpg

nickpick077_zps770d354a.jpg

Not quite done fitting the bumper, once I get a winch in it I will shorten the brackets and bring it as close to the truck as possible. Also will have to modify or make new filler plates, and looking to add some shackle tabs and ditch the factory tow hooks. Maybe one day.

Last edited:

FellowTraveler

Explorer
greengreer I just noticed that your bumper does not have the top plates between the bumper and grill mine were welded on at the factory.

greengreer

Adventurer
Bushcoat- Did not think of that, luckily I live in an area where I can park anywhere and leave the windows down and the keys in the ignition. I will have to keep that in mind when traveling though, thanks.

Fellow Traveler- Mine has the top plates, they were atached via studs welded to the bumper that of course snapped off when dissasembling before I cleaned it up and painted it. Since I will be bringing the bumper closer to the grille, I will have to trim them or I might make some new ones out of Diamond plate aluminum to save a bit of weight and add a traction surface for when I am standing on the bumper. Also havent put the corner braces back on yet as they will need modification as well.

Just ordered a winch, got an Engo E12000 with the synthetic rope. Engo advertises this winch at only 65lbs, so hopefully I wont be adding too much weight on to the front end (the warn bumper is seemingly lighter than the stock chrome unit)

I will post up some pictures as I progress

greengreer

Adventurer
Finally got the winch to me and installed the other day. Couldn't believe the ups ship weight was only 67lbs.

IMG_20130114_163418.jpg

IMG_20130114_163434.jpg

Excuse the crummy cellphone pics. Still wanna bring the whole bumper in about 6" and move the solenoid box,hence the messy wiring. Got my locking bolt on the way too.

Last edited:

ExpoMike

Nicely done. I think I will end up building one similar for my Dodge, once I can afford the winch I want.

greengreer

Adventurer
Thanks expomike! I have yet to put the engo through a workout so I cant comment, but... I did quite abit of research and even though warn was my first choice, a new 12k with synthetic rope is almost double what I paid for the engo. Even looked for used warn, this was still way cheaper. I found no reports of failure under normal use from any engo product, so i went for it. Too bad they are made I China though, been on a buy American/ anything but China kick lately

jeep-N-montero

Expedition Leader
So I lucked out and picked up a Warn bumper this week without any brackets or the air scoop, I hope to get it ready soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles