Looking for Inexpensive(ish) Rain Jacket

Cards81fan

Osage Hilltopper
I have had a Precip since 2005, and it is still going strong. The single best piece of gear I have. It was part of a set that included a medium weight fleece, that zips into the shell. Makes a great fall to winter coat.

I love it.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
We sell between 80-120 Marmot Precip jackets a year. It's a staple product for us. Full featured, very breathable, taped and waterproof. Hard to beat for $100.

To the poster above with the Sierra Design Jackets, those are probably SD Micro Lites. If so, those are not taped, and not even close to waterproof. Not even very water resistant.

Cards81fan

Osage Hilltopper
I have had a Precip since 2005, and it is still going strong. The single best piece of gear I have. It was part of a set that included a medium weight fleece, that zips into the shell. Makes a great fall to winter coat.

I love it.

I browsed around and determined the set up I received as a gift is called the Cirrus component system. You can get a "last year's" model for $140-ish, which means the mid-weight is roughly $40. Not a bit way to get the fleece for a good price, if you are wanting the Precip shell. I also like that they zip into each other, which makes the layers feel less bulky.

I also will take a down vest (Land's End 500 fill-power closeout for $10 at Sears :D )and layer between the two in very cold weather. With a good dry-fit style undershirt, that totals 4 layers and is very warm with relatively little bulk.

Edit to add - Land's End has their current down vests on close out for $25. Appears to be 600 fill-power now. They aren't hard-use gear, but for the price I would recommend it! I love mine.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles