Looking for ideas on a reasonably priced rrt

Durango Greg

I'm looking for a decent priced try for my 02 durango that will have a roof top basket that I'll be installing within the next couple weeks.

99Yota

Observer
I'm looking for a decent priced try for my 02 durango that will have a roof top basket that I'll be installing within the next couple weeks.

I've seen them on craigslist and here on expedition portal for $500 and up.

When you say basket, will the flat surface inside the sides be large enough to accommodate the footprint of the RTT or will the RTT mount behind the basket? Most RTTs require a flat surface or crossbars to be supported and open properly.

I had a baja rack which had sides about 5" taller than the ''floor." Since the flat surface of the rack was too small for my RTT, I would have needed to run crossbars which would put the tent even higher which might have been ok if just for a weekend etc but I keep mine on top full time.

To mount the RTT, I had to remove the baja rack and use Rhino Rack risers and Thule crossbars in the factory channels- works great.

Durango Greg

It's a Thule cargo basket the sides might be about 4 or 5 inches tall I can't remember the width or length since I'm modifying it to fit the Durango

AbnMike

Observer
It's a Thule cargo basket the sides might be about 4 or 5 inches tall I can't remember the width or length since I'm modifying it to fit the Durango

I don't think I've ever seen a RTT that will sit inside a basket. You'll probably have to add some kind of aftermarket bars to cross over and attach to the sides and then attach the tent to those. The tents open up flat, so it would be impossible to open correctly with sides. You'll have to raise the tent somehow.

I have an ARB Simpson III with the annex listed for sale here in the Classifieds. I'll let it go for $1100 which is a good $600 off for what is a brand new tent. We're just going with a camper trailer instead for a variety of reasons.

F40

Adventurer
A roof basket isn't the way to go with a RTT, nor will it be too happy with the weight imo. I would look at having a flat rack made, or just use Thule cross bars.

Check out Smittybilt for affordable tents.

Durango Greg

Not sure measurements of the basket yet I have it cut in half right now it was originally on an xterra then my dad's xj's so I'm extending it about 2ft so it will look right on the Durango. After looking at the prices of rtt I think we're going to look into the suv tent with a stand alone tent not only for cost but with a toddler it might be easier.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles