Looking for Help With Choosing a GPS unit.

ZMagic97

Explorer
Hi all,

After doing some searching on the forum and some general Google searches, I figured I'd make a post for some opinions on what a good GPS unit for me may be. I found some good info in general, but some is dated unfortunately.

Here's some things to keep in mind:
-Most of my driving in mixed on and off road. I have basic navigation skills and can use a paper map with no issue. I do not go WAY off the path, but a GPS that knows forest roads and some back areas would be great. I also like finding land marks, hotels, fuel stations...etc.

-I'm looking for more of a dedicated unit rather than a multipurpose one. For example, I'm not looking to use a tablet or a phone. I just got an iPhone 6s a couple weeks ago and I noticed the Apple Maps work very well. I have only used them to double check myself in the Phoenix are for freeway exits and addresses, not the navigation process. I have considered getting a RAM mount for it for street navigation. However, that is not ideal for me.

-It does not need to be mobile. I would enjoy something I could stow away in the center console when not in use, but I do not need anything for cycling, dirt bikes, hiking..etc

-A strong mount would be great. The common Garmin suction mount often falls off my inner windshield due to temperature swings here. Also, in the summers I always have a sunshade up when parked.

-I would like on road AND offroad navigation. However, I do not need topo maps. I hear some topo ones shows areas like mines...this I would be interested in if true. Basically, I do not need a off road dedicated unit.

-This will be mounted in my 06 Sierra. I'd like something that doesn't impede my storage space or view too much. Below are some interior shots. Sorry they are not the best.

A couple other photos from another for a better view.

I know it's a lot I'm looking for. If I can find a good unit for what I'm trying to do without it being a small fortune I can make a mounting idea come to life.

Thank you in advance.
Chris

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I am pretty happy with a common road nav unit, a Garmin Nuvi 65LM. I've been pretty impressed with what it has for roads, to the point you kind of need to be careful or it will lead you to an overgrown logging path and cheerfully say "Turn Right on Unpaved Road"......

Used with Basecamp, you can do about anything you describe.

A better mount could be devised. It needs a RAM mount. One day I'll probably work on designing an adapter, if you can't buy one by now. I started on one that added a RAM ball into the OEM clip in backside, but was in a hurry and set it aside.

stingray1300

Explorer
Stick with a Garmin. I currently have a 3597LMHDT (Lifetime map updates w/ HD traffic). All touch screen. Very nice unit. Shows trails :)

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Off road navigation would be TOPO mapping. But I agree for no nonsense navigation, garmin is the top choice. Now, Delorme has an awesome unit as well. But the screen is on the small size.

ZMagic97

Explorer
I appreciate the replies. I ended up getting the US topo maps on CD for upload and print, so I'm thinking Garmin is the way to go for most of my needs, if not all.

Airmapper

Inactive Member
Remember, a Garmin road nav unit CAN display Topo mapping. I even found limited free Topo mapping and used it on mine a bit, but found it cluttered the screen. Actual Garmin mapping, if your willing to pay for it, probably integrates cleaner.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
The reason the "off road" versions are better is water sealing for on open cockpit rigs. If you only using it inside, buy a cheap garmin with big screen. Done!

Look into a Kenwood in-dash nav unit. They use Garmin as their nav system. You can add maps, including the topo but it doesn't do much good on those units, by the time you zoom in enough to see any detail, you can't see much of the area. The base map is surprisingly good with fire service and other back roads. Again the zoom can be a problem as you lose detail the farther out you go to see the whole area. You can add POIs (Points of Interest) also, I found on-line a source that gave me every diesel fuel station in the country, also every mine (don't know how accurate it is but it lists a lot of very old/remote ones here in the cascades). All in all it's a great in-dash unit that does a pretty fair job for camping (don't think it would qualify for overlanding) excursions

ZMagic97

Explorer
Look into a Kenwood in-dash nav unit. They use Garmin as their nav system. You can add maps, including the topo but it doesn't do much good on those units, by the time you zoom in enough to see any detail, you can't see much of the area. The base map is surprisingly good with fire service and other back roads. Again the zoom can be a problem as you lose detail the farther out you go to see the whole area. You can add POIs (Points of Interest) also, I found on-line a source that gave me every diesel fuel station in the country, also every mine (don't know how accurate it is but it lists a lot of very old/remote ones here in the cascades). All in all it's a great in-dash unit that does a pretty fair job for camping (don't think it would qualify for overlanding) excursions

I had one in my Rubicon and really liked it. The only issue with my Sierra is it has has the Bose system, and I do not believe the Bose system and a different head unit are compatible.

Edit: Also, this makes me price jump a lot. Not to say I'm trying to be cheap, but this is making the price jump 8x to 12x more.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94