Looking for help finding the right camper

Hey folks, I've looked at (I think) all the major brands but was wondering if anyone had advice for me. Everything I've seen to date is either big enough but built like a winnebago with old style systems or modern but not big enough for me to sleep in (four wheel camper, etc).

I'm looking for:

north/south bed or 84+ long if east/west
2 way fridge with modern energy package with solar
casette toilet
No tv or any of that ********.
I'm fine if I end up having to get a dually, but would prefer singles.

I talked to Bahn about a custom camper, but his prices are ... impressively high. Happy that there is a market for them, but if I was going to spend that much I'd just get a global x or something. I also emailed four wheels about a custom camper, but they're booked out most of the rest of the year and barely answered my emails.

Cheers!

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Have you checked out Bigfoot and Northernlite - Get a slightly used model and change up accordingly . Also a Northstar hard side might fit the bill as well.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Hey folks, I've looked at (I think) all the major brands but was wondering if anyone had advice for me. Everything I've seen to date is either big enough but built like a winnebago with old style systems or modern but not big enough for me to sleep in (four wheel camper, etc).

I'm looking for:

north/south bed or 84+ long if east/west
2 way fridge with modern energy package with solar
casette toilet
No tv or any of that ****.
I'm fine if I end up having to get a dually, but would prefer singles.

I talked to Bahn about a custom camper, but his prices are ... impressively high. Happy that there is a market for them, but if I was going to spend that much I'd just get a global x or something. I also emailed four wheels about a custom camper, but they're booked out most of the rest of the year and barely answered my emails.

Cheers!

send us an email through our website and we can take care of you. Www.totalcomposites.com

cheers

WC, the only two hard-side campers that I would consider are the Northern Lite and Big Foot molded fiberglass units. Relatively low maintenance required to keep them healthy. Minimal seams to leak. No slides to fail.

If you would consider a pop up hard-side, then the Alaskan deserves a look. It is by far the most comfortable camper I’ve ever been in. The down side is because of a wood floor pack and frame, they require more maintenance to keep them healthy.

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
It sounds like your new to truck campers. May consider looking at and pick up a used, older model 900 series Lance camper with extended bunk and winter package. They’re incredibly well built, reasonably priced and easy to carry and wheel on a K2500/F250. Their interiors are very well built and nicely appointed. The biggest plus if it turns out that a truck camper isn’t for you they’re easily to sell and your not out $40k + for a new one. Good luck!

rruff

Explorer
I talked to Bahn about a custom camper, but his prices are ... impressively high.

As I recall, the Bahn shells are ~$40k? That is high, but if you make the interior simple (and it sounds like that's what you want), local tradesmen should be able to handle it and it won't cost a mint. Or do it yourself...?

Check out Victorian's link above. The custom TC shells should be solid and are a lot cheaper.

I don't have your height requirements, but also wanted a simple, rugged, lightweight camper... with lots of storage room for two people full time, and mostly outdoor living since we'll be snowbirding to where the weather is nice. I decided to make my own... but I"m wondering if a TC shell would be smarter...

Hey everyone, thanks for the details. I don't currently have the truck, but I'm happy to get a 1ton or even dually. I'm looking for primarily highway, but with some fire roads and snow. For those in California, something like the access to Shuteye Ridge is about as rugged of overlanding as I need to do.

I'm looking for something ready to go, so I haven't considered a shell. When I talked to Bahn it was more like $250k+ for a complete camper (not including truck) so it's hard to imagine the bare shell is only $40k.

My only real reservation with the northern lite is the dependency on propane and a black tank vs a cassette toilet. I would rather have more electricity and fewer energy sources. I could nit pick a little bit about how much stuff they bolt on to the outside with the various awnings but I could probably have that deleted at the factory as well. Anyhow, they do look like the best option for low maintenance and ready to go.

Sparse Grey, when you say Alaskan has more maintenance, what do you mean?

Thanks!

BritKLR

Kapitis Indagatoris
Hey everyone, thanks for the details. I don't currently have the truck, but I'm happy to get a 1ton or even dually. I'm looking for primarily highway, but with some fire roads and snow. For those in California, something like the access to Shuteye Ridge is about as rugged of overlanding as I need to do.

I'm looking for something ready to go, so I haven't considered a shell. When I talked to Bahn it was more like $250k+ for a complete camper (not including truck) so it's hard to imagine the bare shell is only $40k.

My only real reservation with the northern lite is the dependency on propane and a black tank vs a cassette toilet. I would rather have more electricity and fewer energy sources. I could nit pick a little bit about how much stuff they bolt on to the outside with the various awnings but I could probably have that deleted at the factory as well. Anyhow, they do look like the best option for low maintenance and ready to go.

Sparse Grey, when you say Alaskan has more maintenance, what do you mean?

Thanks!

I‘ve had the big land yacht truck camper and while they are nice and roomy to live in they aren’t something you want to bounce around the back country......or drive on the beach. Lighter is always better. Good luck!
015A0C2D-7A32-4DDB-9A61-13C98A6346EA.jpeg

rruff

Explorer
when you say Alaskan has more maintenance, what do you mean?

When you have wood, you need to be extra careful about making sure all exterior surfaces are sealed.

Regarding the price of a Bahn shell, $40k was taken from their website. That's still ~2x what a TC shell would be. All the stuff inside is where the $$$ add up.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Bundutec Bunduvry. Odd that nobody has mentioned their hardside. It's like a smaller, lighter, more overlandy Lance.

Capris Retreat is another option.

Neither require a DRW, unless you want to drive like a nutter. Then DRW is mighty nice to have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles