Looking For Heavy Duty 4 Bike Hitch Mount Carrier Recs.

deminimis

Explorer
There was a thread along these lines back in '11, but with new models, improvements (if lucky), and whatnot, thought I'd start a new thread. Looking for the best 4-bike hitch carrier option there is. Yakima seems to have gotten cheap. Thule and Curt have their detractors too. It's going on our front hitch and really looking for something pretty bomproof. One 29er and three 26" MTBs. Really hoping to find something that really secures the bikes and won't fold under if we accidentally hit a tope' at speed. Weight is not a concern. Well, the heavier the better. If anyone has thoughts on great hitch racks (or ones to avoid), please post it up. Thanks!

Hitch receiver is under the winch (can't see it in the shade):

upload_-1

Obviously the offers from Northshore won't work for us up front.

Last edited:

Co-opski

Expedition Leader
I have the Thule T2. It is heavy but I would not recommend it as it does not hold bikes in place very well. I should have just gone with One Up but the shipping to AK was killer.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I'm wrapping up a year-long rack review. My lead rack thus far is the 1Up USA Quick Rack. BTW, a few years ago a friend was on a road trip in Colorado with two bikes on the front of his Van and got a $200 ticket for having his lights and indicators obstructed. He thought it was a one-off bummer. He got pulled over two more times on his way back to Washington. Just food for thought.

deminimis

Explorer
It's settle. 1Up it is. Looks to be bombproof and highly versatile. Looks like I can use the rails in a number of different configurations, which is what we need, as sometimes it will be on the front, sometimes on the rear, sometimes I'll mount just the rails on top of our race trailer (buggy takes up all the inside real estate) and I can even see mounting a rail or two on the fronts of our boat and our waverunner trailers so we have less bikes out on the front hitch. Thanks for the headsup. I don't think we'll be obstructing our headlights with bikes as our Ram has a mighty wide spread. Thanks again everyone.

PS: I may take an old 90's era Yak rack and period bike mounts (you know, the trays with the inverted "V" bar) and permanently mount those on top of our race trailer just so they are always there and available. They aren't sexy, but never lost a bike with those old fellers.

sjxj

Observer
I've had a 1Up rack for a few years now, and it's freaking awesome. Super secure, and I like how it holds my bikes up a little higher with the staggering. Plus, if you ever need to, you can order spare parts.

I'm sure you'll like it.

Jason911

Adventurer
Also a vote of the 1UPUSA - can be upgraded to fit fat bikes as well, and can be configured to fit multiple bikes, seemingly indefinitely.

p nut

butter
Almost bought a 1Up, but REI was having a spectacular sale, so went with Kuat for roughly 60% price of 1Up. If I needed something more heavy duty, I would have gone 1Up. But Kuat has been spectacular for my uses. I like the built-in repair stand as well.

keezer37

Explorer
They should have a strap down option (à la Kuat) for the rear tire to accommodate touring and commuters with fenders. It would be nice to simply leave the rear arm folded and use the strap. Better than the fender cozy they offer as it's relying on the supports of the fender. Kind of a big deal if you've got Woody's.
This looks to use the same (ball in the corner) expander as the Kuat. These can be lifted in the vertical after they are set. I haven't looked into this closely but I've wondered if two balls should be used as it seems to pivot on the one.
I'd like to see this security key. I'm envisioning a allen wrench with a special keyway. I wonder how big it is and do I want to carry it with me?
I read they use SAE bolts. Come on. I thought there was a concerted effort to push America away from fractions.
Looks like it will clear the backstays of any rear luggage rack.

I really like that they offer this in a single.

deminimis

Explorer
Well, Uncle Sam wants a payday, so I haven't ordered up the 1UP yet. Looks like it's the old Yakima on top of my daily Corolla for this weekend's misery at Post Canyon (my 13yo just got a new 19" Kona Hei Hei and he wants to heap abuse upon me).

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Looks like this has been put to bed, but we REALLY like our 1Up on the front of our Fuso... We carry everything from Fatbikes to touring bikes with no problems. Even with the bouncing of this truck while cruising down the highway, they have been rock solid. I can't say the same for my Thule T2.

IMG_6176.JPG

IMG_6174.JPG

IMG_6175.JPG

dman93

Adventurer
Not to hijack OP's thread, but I'm looking for a strong 2 bike rack. I had a chance to look at pretty much everything at Sea Otter last weekend ... no 1Up presence in the vendor area, but lots in the parking lot and I know a couple of happy owners. But there was a new version of the Kuat Sherpa which was appealing; it has a lower profile to clear a folded down pickup tailgate when empty of bikes and not tipped down. I don't know if that is needed, but if I ever get a high-clearance bumper it may be useful. Plus, I like the more finished design of the Kuat's. Anyway, my question regarding 1Up for two bikes max: is it worth paying a bit more for the Super Duty version? Bikes are not likely to be more than 30 pounds each, but I'd like to be able to do extended washboard and offroad with no worries. Thanks.

Jason911

Adventurer
Anyway, my question regarding 1Up for two bikes max: is it worth paying a bit more for the Super Duty version? Thanks.

Major difference between the standard and the super duty version beyond the added capacity is the receiver hitch. Super duty has a solid 2" hitch and Standard has an adaptable 1 1/4" up to 2" hitch. Both have the adjustable anti-theft adjustable expander ball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke