Looking for Good Street Legal Off-Road Bike Options

sedat

Adventurer
drz400E or S.
Aircooled
TW200
DR650
XR400.

I personally own a KLR650. I'm an ox of a dude. I inappropriately wheel mine and rather like it because of the heft. (I'm probably the only guy)
Edit: whatever your choice, GET THE EZ BUTTON. I was done with kickers when starting a friends ill maintained WR on the side of a mountain after getting flipped off it.

702krawler

Adventurer
I'm definitely a brand new rider. In fact, I haven't even taken my safety course yet (two more weeks). Based on additional research I've done, and input from everyone here, I'm leaning very heavily toward a WR250R.

Wiley

Adventurer
You are on the right track, I would say dont buy anything until after the course, you will get a good idea on your level of comfort with the small 200-250's, and can then decide what you should invest in.

A

agavelvr

I was in your situation a few years ago.
I started on a KLR650. Great bike, bad choice for me due to where I ended up putting it with a limited skill set :)

I started riding a 250 about a year ago and my riding vastly has improved. Light bikes are so much fun and allow you to make mistakes that would be painful on a large bike. In January, I managed to total my KLR and upgraded to a 690 enduro for dual sporting. It's more bike than I can reasonably handle in terms of power, but it does things I would have had a really hard time on the KLR. It's a handful on single track due to the steering geometry, but is a better all around bike for what I do compared to the KLR. If I am going out for a single track session, I take the 250 for enjoyment. If I am on a trip and happen to do some single track on the 690, it's managable.

So, if I had a time machine, I would probably have originally selected a Honda 250CRF-L over the KLR650 for an introductory dual sport. Easy maint, lower costs, lighter weight. Not the greatest for long highway trips, but manageable for leaving home and getting to trails. Had that been my original choice, I would likely still be riding it. A DR650 is a nice dual sport option and I ride with a lot of folks who enjoy them. Inexpensive to set up for adventure riding. For your application though, it might be a bit heavy and less fun on technical trails.

I highly recommend buying used. There are plenty of people who buy 250s and either fall away from riding or change their riding focus, which equals nice savings for you. If it turns out to be the wrong bike for you, it is less painful to sell and switch to a new ride. Buying new, you might end up staying with the wrong bike for too long due to the depreciation.

Hope it helps,

Advmoto18

Observer
Budget notwithstanding....

I just bought a 2015 KTM 350 EXC-F. A great motorcycle out of the crate. BUT IMO, at a minimum, needs ECU "enhancement" and 13/50 gearing to make it the machine it wants to be!

This scoot has returned the smile to my 60yo mug!

702krawler

Adventurer
So, I passed the motorcycle safety course, and am now looking in earnest. Used WR250Rs are tough to come by, so I may either go with the Honda CRF250L, or buy new. I'm relatively certain I'll always want a dirt focused bike, so I'm not too concerned about near term depreciation. I have a strong feeling I'll pickup a second, more (but not completely) street-oriented bike, within a year. The Honda Africa Twin looks intriguing...

82fb

Adventurer
Maybe too late, but I was in your place a year ago. I happened(dumb luck) to see a wr250f on craigslist that was CA plated. I bought it, knowing nothing about riding or motorcycles. As it turns out, it is perfect for me. Tons of power, relatively light, and not too bad on the road for a few miles. Can cruise around 50-55 comfortable, although if you want, it can easily hit 75-80.

I would probably not want to do more than a couple hundred road miles in a day though, seat is not THAT good! Did 90 miles a couple weeks ago out in the desert, about half road half trail, and I think if you are going to pick either road performance or trail performance, I would take trail anyday.

hansrober

Adventurer
My choice was the KLX250. Light and agile, and easy on the wallet. It keeps up with my buddies on their dirt bikes and believe me they are near bullet proof. All the bikes these guys suggested are awesome so I dont think you can go wrong whatever you go with.

702krawler

Adventurer
Yeah, it is a little late. I picked up a WR250R back in November. Added a windscreen, skid plate, and better mirrors so far. On the short list are panniers and a bigger gas tank.

Ray Hyland

Expedition Leader
Yeah, it is a little late. I picked up a WR250R back in November. Added a windscreen, skid plate, and better mirrors so far. On the short list are panniers and a bigger gas tank.

That's the bike I would have recommended too.

How are you liking it?

702krawler

Adventurer
So far so good. I've mostly been riding on road, to continue to improve my overall riding skills, but I ventured out on a short (15 mile) trail ride this weekend and really enjoyed it. The bike is pretty easy to handle off road, and I get the sense that I'm a long way from testing its limits.

My only real complaint is the small gas tank with a 120 to 140 mile range, which makes some trips require careful planning. Otherwise, I have no regrets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles