Looking for Good, Entry Level Knife Sharpening Kit Recommendations

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Best elec hands down. Razor sharp, has different belt grits as well

Yes, that was my conclusion as well. Thanks for bringing this thread back alive, as I had forgotten to update it. I bought the Ken Onion Worksharp electric sharpener, and its pretty fantastic. I've sharpened everything in my house, garage, and neighbors house too. It's not great on an axe unless you get the right belt for it, but otherwise, wow. And fast. I can sharpen 6 pocket knives of various size, plus another 6 kitchen knives, and a couple pair of scissors in about 20 minutes, if I go slow. I did get a leather stropping block as well. Replacement belts are pretty inexpensive on Amazon. Overall, very happy with this set up.

The Artisan

Adventurer
Yes, that was my conclusion as well. Thanks for bringing this thread back alive, as I had forgotten to update it. I bought the Ken Onion Worksharp electric sharpener, and its pretty fantastic. I've sharpened everything in my house, garage, and neighbors house too. It's not great on an axe unless you get the right belt for it, but otherwise, wow. And fast. I can sharpen 6 pocket knives of various size, plus another 6 kitchen knives, and a couple pair of scissors in about 20 minutes, if I go slow. I did get a leather stropping block as well. Replacement belts are pretty inexpensive on Amazon. Overall, very happy with this set up.
Yep I also use it to sharpen my all my automotive grade upholstery shears
Kevin

RoamIt

Here's my sharpener, a little overkill, but then again, I always have an axe to grind....;)

Attachments

• Grinder1.jpg
    Grinder1.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 23

pith helmet

Lansky Diamond system is a good one for less than $100. I don’t use it for cheap knives but for a good steel like my Benchmade where I want to keep the bevel its great. Just realize that it will literally erase your blade if you get too aggressive.

Lansky Diamond system is a good one for less than $100. I don’t use it for cheap knives but for a good steel like my Benchmade where I want to keep the bevel its great. Just realize that it will literally erase your blade if you get too aggressive.

Get the Lansky stand as well. It’s a good system. Watch a few YouTube tutorials on using it properly.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I have a Worksharp electric knife sharpener, Ken Onion edition. It’s pretty awesome. Not cheap, but really, it’s the only one you’ll ever need. Does everything from pocket knives, to scissors to hatchets and axes to lawnmower blades. Does great on my wife’s kitchen knives, and all my Kershaw folding blades.

I got mine from BladeHQ for $130 or so
Here’s a video:

Last edited:

workerdrone

Part time fulltimer
^ I like the K.O. Work Sharp, have to admit. Been playing around with it for a while, to save time vs whetstones. I have the larger belts with the blade grinder attachment.

What's especially cool in my opinion is how easy it is to watch the burr form - so you know immediately when it's consistent along the whole edge and you can progress from the coarse belt you started on.

I think razor sharp is not truly achievable easily, but good 'n sharp is easy and quick. I finish on a leather strop.

Whetstone vs this, they will both effortlessly trim paper and seem razor sharp. It's when you take the two edges to the cutting board that you can see the subtle difference in the effort it takes to cleanly slice foods like leeks, onions, peppers where the skin on the cutting board may not always slice clean through

I've not been able to achieve a freehand push cut on paper with the work sharp

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz