Looking for finished FSJ Expo / Adventure rigs.

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Ive been looking around for completed FSJ Expo or Adventure rigs without much luck. Was wondering if anyone here had any all decked out & ready to go? I saw the FSJ thread but they look to be fairly stock with a few exceptions. Gotta be some here somewhere? :jumping:

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
We are out there...

Guess it kind of depends on what level you consider done? We all may agree that a Jeep is never truly finished...but usable? Mine was in that catagory before engine failure...and rust. Big enough that I could sleep inside safe and dry with no need for a tent. But add stuff like a F/F, tools, gear, etc....and then you must add to the outside. They are capable out of the box and can tollerate much in the way of upgrades at a reletively reasonable cost as well.
Look around at some of my posts and you may see some examples of mine as it was before it started getting cleaned up a little...and before the engine went south.:(

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
Go here:

www.ifsja.org

You might have better luck.

I have some 500 posts on the IFSJA and still havent seen what according to this site what you would call a Expo / Adv. rig.

Guess Im looking for a roof tented, snorkeled, self sufficient wheeling rig. I understand that there are different levels but I was hoping to see one all done and ready for the world tour. You know the Dekar special. :smiley_drive:

AzPhil

Observer
As old as me and my Wagon are, we are just getting started, and yes, the FSJ is a great camper out of the box, but is anybody ever ready for Dakar? Not without a sponsor or a powerball win. We rednecks are proud but poor.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
We're "small time"...

I have some 500 posts on the IFSJA and still havent seen what according to this site what you would call a Expo / Adv. rig.

Guess Im looking for a roof tented, snorkeled, self sufficient wheeling rig. I understand that there are different levels but I was hoping to see one all done and ready for the world tour. You know the Dekar special. :smiley_drive:

MT,
Yeah, I doubt you'll see any that are set up ready to do Dakar or the Camel Trophy. Most of us are just local adventurers. Due in part I think to the fact that our "buy-in" costs for these now outdated rigs is reletively very low. The added fact that most came with very thirsty V8s that haven't been produced in 19 years, best case...kinda makes a trans-con trek truely adventourous since one would never be likely to find support parts.
Does that mean they would not be a good choice? Heck no. But then the build cost will go up fast. And since most of us will only travel a couple states either way (unless trailered) due to fuel costs, we can usually limit the amount of extra baggage.
If you look at pics of mine you may see something fairly typical with a nod towards the expo. The basic stance is achieved via a Rustys 4" lift. A set of narrow BFG mud T/As in 33x10.50 15 are mounted to some old school slot mags and work and fit pretty well. Though my rig would greatly benefit from axle gears and a new engine transplant, it has never failed to provide me with reliability and a big grin. The lack of power has, perhaps, been the leading cause for less extreme damage and breakage? Mind you mine is dragged around by a carbed and tired 258, backed by a 4 speed and sporting the fantastical 272 gears in the diffs!:Wow1: The only nod to improvement there was a LocRite I installed in the rear a couple years ago.
The front bumper was fabbed by me. I wanted something of an ARB look without the big ARB price (if they even offered one for a FSJ, they don't). The factory aluminum bumper offered less than stellar protection and nowhere to mount a winch. That alone may have proven to be the single greatest mod so far. I can push as far and hard as I wish but eventually I WILL get stuck. It is a level of security knowing that I could self-recover.
The roof rack I also built out of Home depot gas pipe.Yeah-yeah...you can stop laughing now. It was a first time trial at such an endevor for me and I am only so-so happy with it. It works. It holds the 4 8" Bosch lights to illum the trail ahead and the two utility lights that point out the rear for backing up or night time camp activities. And it also holds my spare tire and an old, free, metal Army footlocker that is for parts, tools, fluids, and what-not. But having made this from scratch on a very limited budget...I feel it is far to heavy. It is a good size and would allow the use of an RTT if I should ever have need of it ( I don't when camping in this alone) but would require some shuffleing of stuff first.
Does it sit ready to tackle the Sarhara? Climb Everest? No. haha...hardly. But for the amount of money I have in it, played against the sheer joy of building and using it...it has been a fantastic choice and a worthwhile investment in my very humble opinion.

Last edited:

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
i was going to use one for expo'ing

i rebuilt the motor and did a lot to it to prepare it.

but as i spent some time on the road with it, i realized it was not for me. the ride was horrible. the seats were painful, it was like riding in a tin can. there isn't much insulation. i have two kids, and there just wasn't enough safety built into the vehicle for them.

i could have spent a bunch of money to get it where i wanted it. but i found a 1994 Grand Cherokee in decent shape for $600 (after i talked the kid selling it down from $3000 because the windows didn't roll down, no AC, and some other minor problems). it has a lot better ride, tons of aftermarket parts, easy to get parts for, no CARB!!!!!, EFI etc.

i still love FSJ's, but i will never own one again.

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Odd thoughts...

i was going to use one for expo'ing

i rebuilt the motor and did a lot to it to prepare it.

but as i spent some time on the road with it, i realized it was not for me. the ride was horrible. the seats were painful, it was like riding in a tin can. there isn't much insulation. i have two kids, and there just wasn't enough safety built into the vehicle for them.

i could have spent a bunch of money to get it where i wanted it. but i found a 1994 Grand Cherokee in decent shape for $600 (after i talked the kid selling it down from $3000 because the windows didn't roll down, no AC, and some other minor problems). it has a lot better ride, tons of aftermarket parts, easy to get parts for, no CARB!!!!!, EFI etc.

i still love FSJ's, but i will never own one again.

*GL? Wow...While I understand you don't feel the FSJ fits your needs I am a little surprised at the assesment. "The ride was horrible"?? that is really unusual to me as I have found most of the Waggys to ride like a Cadillac. Honestly...in stock for they WERE the cadillac's of the day in 4x4. And "riding in a tin can"...uh. I have always found that Jeep did an exceptional job of carpeting and insulating the upscale waggys to keep the soccor moms happy. Don't suppose you ripped out your carpet and headliner did you?
And while the saftey thing, what with airbags and crumple zones etc...well, sure, the FSJ is old-world compared to that. But own you Grand Cherk for 20 years, buy a lift kit for similar money, bang it off a herd of rocks, and then see how well it holds up? Ad in higher insurance, more emmissions systems, higher tags, and lets not forget it won't sleep people in the back comfortably without removing half the interior...
I don't mean to sound like I'm begrudging you your opinion, I'm not. Nor do I disagree that the GC is a good vehicle. But its not really apples to apples and your using a kinda broad brush. Mine has served me very well. Is easy and reletivly inexpensive to modify and service. But again, thats just my opinion.
:)

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
the carb sucked.

i had a 1978 waggy with a 360. it had all the interior parts in it still. the roof rattled and drove me nuts.

mine still had the stock suspension. stock shocks and springs. it only had 72K original miles on the vehicle. i have no idea why it road like it did. i owned a 1985 toyota truck with 4" of lift and it road like a caddy as well. i even used waggy springs on it.

i will say, the waggy was great off road. i put some 31's on it with no lift. it had the quadra trac on it as well. the D44's were strong, i had great traction, great suspension flex, but horrible over bumpy stuff. if you went slow it was fine.

the grand cherokee i bought is a limited with a V8. it rides like a caddy and it has 132K miles on it. it may be due to the coil springs front and rear. it also had quadra trac on it. it does just as good off road as the waggy did.

i think the body and frame issue is a moot point for me. i really do not bounce my vehicles off rocks. i never use anything larger then a 33" tall tire. and i tend to use a light foot to get over obstacles. i only have to give it the onion occasionally.:smiley_drive:

Metal Twister

Highly Motivated
the carb sucked.

i had a 1978 waggy with a 360. it had all the interior parts in it still. the roof rattled and drove me nuts.

mine still had the stock suspension. stock shocks and springs. it only had 72K original miles on the vehicle. i have no idea why it road like it did. i owned a 1985 toyota truck with 4" of lift and it road like a caddy as well. i even used waggy springs on it.

i will say, the waggy was great off road. i put some 31's on it with no lift. it had the quadra trac on it as well. the D44's were strong, i had great traction, great suspension flex, but horrible over bumpy stuff. if you went slow it was fine.

the grand cherokee i bought is a limited with a V8. it rides like a caddy and it has 132K miles on it. it may be due to the coil springs front and rear. it also had quadra trac on it. it does just as good off road as the waggy did.

i think the body and frame issue is a moot point for me. i really do not bounce my vehicles off rocks. i never use anything larger then a 33" tall tire. and i tend to use a light foot to get over obstacles. i only have to give it the onion occasionally.:smiley_drive:

Sounds like you needed the Lemon Law.

I think your evaluation is unique and extremely rare. It would be interesting to post this up on the IFSJA forum and see what kind of response it gets. Id be surprised if many, or for that matter any would agree with your take on the FSJ. Not that it matters and I im not saying yours wasn’t that bad, it just doesn’t sound like a typical evaluation of an FSJ. I to have a Grand Cherokee and with the all the bells and whistles and for the occasional off road trek its a wonderful vehicle, smooth quiet and plenty of power. It is a much more refined vehicle than its early ancestor the FSJ. I can’t help but think that the FSJ would be much more suited to serious off road than the newer G.C. I cant invision a serious water crossing in the G.C. even after seeing the commercial. :coffee:

getlost4x4

Expedition Leader
here i was playing with it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeB7SaBTSjY"]YouTube- waggy offroad[/ame]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz