Looking for feedback on CVT Black Butte (Ground Tent)

nnnnnate

Adventurer
As suggested in the title I am looking for owner feedback on the CVT Black Butte. At this time I am not interested in an RTT and feel like for the price and current discount this tent could really work for me. I am a little unsure about how sturdy it is in wind and weather. I have searched for info on this here on ExPo as well as other general searches and being as new of a tent it is (Nov '13) I haven't seen much feedback on it.

If you have info on this tent please share your thoughts on it. Thanks.

I am also interested in this topic...I am in the same boat, not ready for an RTT.

I liked the idea of being able to leave the tent behind and not having to 'take down camp' when moving the vehicle. A 'Pro' for the ground tent.

A 'Pro' for the awning room is the size, both in footprint 79"x84" and in overall headroom.

But I already have an ARB awning so I just ordered the CVT awning room. It uses the frame of the awning to suspend itself so no additional weight in poles, just some fabric.

I am curious if I can also set up the ground tent simultaneously with the awning room...

Looking forward to some feedback.

Cheers.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
It doesn't seem like this tent has been real popular. I had hoped someone could provide some actual feedback about it but I'm starting to think thats not going to be possible.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I think it's just too new. I don't think CVT has had them long. The Butte tent looks awesome and appears to be a pretty easy set up. If I was looking for a ground tent...I'd look at these for sure. Isn't it the same concept as the oztent? I'd imagine it being just as sturdy in wind, if staked out properly.

60Dan

Explorer
I ordered one of these the beginning of this month during the group buy.

Will report back once I get it and test it out

nnnnnate

Adventurer
I called CVT this morning to ask a few questions about it. I'm still on the fence but am probably not going to buy one mainly based on its transport size. I've got a 2 door Wrangler and the 6'6" length is really just going to be too long to carry inside my rig and I don't have any roof mounts. I am still trying to decide on whether to get a roof rack which would help to carry it but feel like a trailer might be better for my situation. I really want to be sure about whatever direction I go so I don't end up buying gear multiple times. I know for sure that I don't want an RTT because my dog wouldn't be able to get in (Great Dane) but also because of him I need more space for storage. There are too many options out there which complicate everything.

Regardless I'd love to hear what you think about it when it comes in and you get some use out of it.

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I called CVT this morning to ask a few questions about it. I'm still on the fence but am probably not going to buy one mainly based on its transport size. I've got a 2 door Wrangler and the 6'6" length is really just going to be too long to carry inside my rig and I don't have any roof mounts. I am still trying to decide on whether to get a roof rack which would help to carry it but feel like a trailer might be better for my situation. I really want to be sure about whatever direction I go so I don't end up buying gear multiple times. I know for sure that I don't want an RTT because my dog wouldn't be able to get in (Great Dane) but also because of him I need more space for storage. There are too many options out there which complicate everything.

Regardless I'd love to hear what you think about it when it comes in and you get some use out of it.

Man, I feel like good roof rack would be in order regardless. I use mine more than I ever expected and you have even less storage space than I do. What about a rtt with an annex and your pup could sleep in the annex? The Black Butte looks to be a fantastic option especially if got an awning to go with (also requires roof rack). Price couldn't be better with group buy going on. I just don't like the idea of trailer...one more thing to register and store. I imagine it making backing out of hairy situations a little more difficult too. They work for a lot folks and my opinion is coming from someone who has no experience with camping with a trailer. Good luck with whatever you choose.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
The pup sleeps with me and keeps me warm so leaving him in the annex is a no go. If I understood right I was told that you can zip an awning to the Black Butte and it can work free standing. It makes sense to me being that the top of the tent can act as the "roof rack." My work buddies keep poking me to just buy a fiberglass poled tent which would be smaller and lighter packed but I keep coming back to this one. I'm inclined to buy things once and pay a bit more for something that will last. Since there aren't really any reviews about actual tent use I am a little nervous about whether it will last and I think this tent is very well priced as it is, with the discount its phenomenal.

As far as a trailer is concerned in Utah my understanding is that single axle trailers for non-commercial use are not required to be licensed. I have an RV pad on the side of my house that is plenty large enough to store 4 of the trailers I have lusting after. I built the pad thinking I'd end up with a "normal" size camper, it'll be no problem with these baby sized trailers.

Like I said though, I have a lot of decisions to make about how I want my rig and they aren't easy since I don't want to buy things twice.

gunnermoose

Adventurer
I am following this thread. I am trying to make the same determination.

I like the idea of the awning, ground tent and either the screened walls or solid walls for the awning.

60Dan

Explorer
My motivation behind purchasing one was that I have a camping lab awning and they are no longer in business - so I can't purchase the walls.
But even if i could, I like the idea of being able to retreat to the Butte when it rains. Plus if we bring extra people with us, looks like you could fit a couple of extra cots in there.

It does look the same as the Oztent but not the same price I'm sure.

I also have a camping trailer so space isn't an issue for me as it is with others.

Bobby said it should ship the beginning of May so will report back then

compactcamping

Explorer
The rapid fold open ground tents sized comparably to the OzTent RV-2 were original available from Mombasa about two year ago. I have experience with the Mombasa and Tepui version of them which appear to be functionally equivalent to the CVT version.

They work free-standing in calm conditions and require staking / guidelines(on the main bow) in breezy conditions. Once you've open it a time or two, they take 15-20 second to open. The bottom of the window flaps are velcro'ed in a few places so they can be a bit draft sometimes. They use the same poly/cotton ripstop fabric that the roof top tents do. There is a flap that slides into the a C-channel which most Roll Out style awning have for making them an Awning Side Tent. The flap is also zipped for easy attaching and removing.

TRUIZ

Observer
Kind of lame that it doesn't come with an awning already attached to it. Still an awesome looking tent though

compactcamping

Explorer
Hmmm, since the rollout awning attachment flap is zippered, in theory it would be easy to sew up a zip on awing with a couple of adjustable poles like the OzTent setup.

nnnnnate

Adventurer
Scott- Thanks for posting this info. I think I stumbled on your site yesterday via tventuring.com. Can you say anything about the size of these tents? I really wish I could see one in person. Currently I camp with my great dane but I am hoping to get my wife to come camping on occasion and in the future a rugrat or two. Are these tents large enough for two adults and a large dog? What about two adults, a large dog, and a kid? I understand that the more people you pack into the tent there will be less room for gear but just wasn't sure about the foot print. Thanks.

Also, after comparing pics of the Tepui and CVT versions they look to be the exact same tents. I keep trying to talk myself out of one of these tents compared to a "traditional" geometric ground tent but come back to this design over and over. If they were a different dimension when packed up it would be a non issue but as it is, its a problem getting it into my 2 door JK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles