Looking for expedition vehicle suitable for family of 5

ulbi00ab

Our family consisiting of 2 adults and 3 boys aged 8-11 is looking for an expedition vehicle suitable for worldwide travel including South America, Africa and Asia. We are U.S. residents but have dual citizenship in the U.S. and the EU. That said we would prefer to find a vehicle that can be registered in the U.S. as that eliminates the need for getting a commercial drivers license. Also open to vehicles that can be registered in Canada.

Requirements:
* Sleeps 5 people comfortably (although one of the beds can be shorter as the 8 year old is only about about 150 cm / 5 ft tall)
* Engine can handle low quality diesel available in Africa, South America and Asia
* NOT reliant on propane for heating
* Vehicle can be registered in U.S. or alternative in Canada (or somewhere else where a U.S/EU citizen can easily register it)

Thanks in advance for any tips/intros/offers. Really appreciate any help this forum can provide :)

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
There is almost no way around a crew cab with a smaller camper. Bunk beds in the camper otherwise you won’t be able to get enough cabinet storage , washroom space and seating area. With that many people you would need to make some compromises.

Attachments

• 22F0A88C-F77A-413E-B9B6-6D33864BC958.jpeg
    22F0A88C-F77A-413E-B9B6-6D33864BC958.jpeg
    77.3 KB · Views: 177

billiebob

What is your budget? New, anything capable of what you ask will cost at least $250K. Used and under $100k will likely be over 20 years old. On a budget, the cheapest choice would be an older full size crew cab and a tent trailer on a custom frame.

I am definitely watching this thread.

Last edited:

kchristian

Adventurer
I’ll be in your shoes in a few years. My kids are 6, 2 and 8 months. I think a Sprinter with bunks is the way to go. I keep trying to figure out how to make one of my land cruisers work but it’s just not going to happen.

Peter_n_Margaret

Adventurer
A crew cab uses too much of the potential living space for seating. Better to have legal seating in the back section.
We generally only travel as 2 up, but have 2 seats in the rear as well as the 2 up front.
Our vehicle also has a bed-over-cab which saves more living space. Another bedding alternative is one that raises to the ceiling when not in use.
Diesel space heating and hot water, massive solar plus battery charging from the alternator and induction cook top.
Cheers,
Peter
OKA196 motorhome

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
While not ‘Expo’ cool, our Sprinter Navion has been great for Mexico, US, and Canada. Based on ’06 Sprinter, has a slide out, fits in normal parking space, low key for stealth (without deploying slide), diesel (hence the ’06, no DEF/etc), seats 7 with belts, etc, etc. Kids have now gotten older and choose to sleep outside via tent or hammock, but we can still all fit- albeit cozy. The only issue would be converting the generator to a diesel unit to meet all your criteria, which makes sense, and not a huge deal...
We’ve traveled Central America via a Land Rover, but not camping- however, I would not hesitate to venture across same with the Navion. And being Mercedes diesel drivetrain, serviceable worldwide.

zelseman

Observer
While not ‘Expo’ cool, our Sprinter Navion has been great for Mexico, US, and Canada. Based on ’06 Sprinter, has a slide out, fits in normal parking space, low key for stealth (without deploying slide), diesel (hence the ’06, no DEF/etc), seats 7 with belts, etc, etc. Kids have now gotten older and choose to sleep outside via tent or hammock, but we can still all fit- albeit cozy. The only issue would be converting the generator to a diesel unit to meet all your criteria, which makes sense, and not a huge deal...
We’ve traveled Central America via a Land Rover, but not camping- however, I would not hesitate to venture across same with the Navion. And being Mercedes diesel drivetrain, serviceable worldwide.
This was along the same lines of what I was thinking if $250,000 was out of budget.
A long wheelbase sprinter with strategically placed bunk beds would work on the cheap. If a capable off-road truck is needed, then an F450/550 with a custom box on top would work too for under $100,000.

vagabondette

You could manage a family of 5 in thr expedition vehicle we are selling if you are willing to have some people in the back while you are driving. It sleeps 4 comfortably in its current setup (2 queen beds), but if you converted.the recliners into a jackknife sofa then it would sleep 5. There are two seatbelts in the back (on the dining seats). We are asking 150k and the vehicle is located in Kansas City.

vagabondette

You could manage a family of 5 in thr expedition vehicle we are selling if you are willing to have some people in the back while you are driving. It sleeps 4 comfortably in its current setup (2 queen beds), but if you converted.the recliners into a jackknife sofa then it would sleep 5. There are two seatbelts in the back (on the dining seats). We are asking 150k and the vehicle is located in Kansas City.

Forgot to say it matches your other specs...does not.require ultra low sulfer diesel, does not use propane. It is registered in the US and can go anywhere.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
I would highly recommend staying away from putting people in the rear with a big expedition truck. Those boxes are all mounted in a way that they flex and move when going off road. I have been driving unimogs and other big trucks in the military , sometimes with people in the rear. It usually didn’t take long till someone made the truck into a vomit komet..... check out this video

vagabondette

I'm sure if you're going offroading or something aggressive like that you wouldn't want people in the back, but I work remote and often worked in the back while my husband and son were up in the front. It was completely fine.

Korey H

Our family consisiting of 2 adults and 3 boys aged 8-11 is looking for an expedition vehicle suitable for worldwide travel including South America, Africa and Asia. We are U.S. residents but have dual citizenship in the U.S. and the EU. That said we would prefer to find a vehicle that can be registered in the U.S. as that eliminates the need for getting a commercial drivers license. Also open to vehicles that can be registered in Canada.

Requirements:
* Sleeps 5 people comfortably (although one of the beds can be shorter as the 8 year old is only about about 150 cm / 5 ft tall)
* Engine can handle low quality diesel available in Africa, South America and Asia
* NOT reliant on propane for heating
* Vehicle can be registered in U.S. or alternative in Canada (or somewhere else where a U.S/EU citizen can easily register it)

Thanks in advance for any tips/intros/offers. Really appreciate any help this forum can provide :)

One would need to delete the def/dpf for the international (same issue with my current 2017 144 sprinter - 4kids); but, these I think are very attractive in the Earthroamer ish, family edition.

I’ve been chatting with them and they’re making some good overlanding upgrades (no more LP for example). Unfortunately they won’t build on the gas platform of the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smurf40

Observer
I would highly recommend staying away from putting people in the rear with a big expedition truck. Those boxes are all mounted in a way that they flex and move when going off road. I have been driving unimogs and other big trucks in the military , sometimes with people in the rear. It usually didn’t take long till someone made the truck into a vomit komet..... check out this video
I completely agree, seats in the front for all (if wanted by the kids). That said my boys ride in box a fare bit, (and it rocks a ton) but funnily enough they look forward at us in the cab and say “boy you guys rock a lot up there” I think a trip like what you are speaking of needs to be seen from a proper seat and window. Riding in the back is a tough second place all the time.

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
Crew cab truck. Ford or Dodge 550/5500 with a large box on it's back.

Doesn't matter how long the trucks cabs is, or if it uses potential living space. There's plenty of living space outdoors, go outside. A 550 is still plenty long for a decent box.
636965068522587294.jpg

If you're budget is big enough, you could also consider two smaller cheaper vehicles and go as a convoy. Especially handy if one breaks down. A regular cab F550 for example, and a Jeep Wrangler 4 door.

And the 550 is still available with a gas 6.8l, and soon a gas 7.3l. Which covers your fuel quality concerns.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online