Looking for camp table recommendations (must pack inside of my storage drawer)

yonah

Calling-in from west of the Rockies
Good morning,
-
I'm in the market for a camp table. My short term goal is to upgrade to a Tembotusk Skottle, so I really just need the table for food prep, serving, and misc. tasks like a place to set our basin while dishwashing.
-
My biggest constraint is the table must fold and pack into my ARB storage drawer - which measures 17"(W), 11"(H), by 49"(L) on the inside. My budget is around $100 max. I know there are some $300+ options out there, but I'm 9/10 a weekend warrior when it comes to camping/overlanding trips, so I want to be reasonable - it's a table after all.
-
Currently, I'm eyeing this model from ALPS Engineering (http://www.alpsmountaineering.com/products/furniture/tables/regular-dining-table), but want to reach out to the community to ensure I'm not overlooking another option on the market.
Dining-Table-2016.jpg
-
Cheers,
-
-Stephen

redsands

I have the "XL" version of the ALPS table and it's been great. Lightweight yet sturdy. Best part is how easily it rolls up and packs away. I'm not sure of the length on the XL when folded and stored in the sack, but it may be a tad too long for your drawers. I can get exact measurements tonight, if you'd like.

FYI, the "Regular" ALPS table is on sale on Backcountry.com for $70 at the moment.

yonah

I have the "XL" version of the ALPS table and it's been great. Lightweight yet sturdy. Best part is how easily it rolls up and packs away. I'm not sure of the length on the XL when folded and stored in the sack, but it may be a tad too long for your drawers. I can get exact measurements tonight, if you'd like.

FYI, the "Regular" ALPS table is on sale on Backcountry.com for $70 at the moment.

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Backcountry price.
I think the XL will be a little too long, per ALPS site: Shoulder Carry Bag Included: 5" x 7" x 55".

yonah

prerunner221

Adventurer
I have the smaller version of that table. It gets plenty of use at the beach, and during a cross country trip in June. Great product. I used it for food prep and my cooking table. If it broke today I would buy a new one tomorrow.

13557844_10154318308174494_4088700658059351292_n.jpg

yonah

I have the smaller version of that table. It gets plenty of use at the beach, and during a cross country trip in June. Great product. I used it for food prep and my cooking table. If it broke today I would buy a new one tomorrow.

13557844_10154318308174494_4088700658059351292_n.jpg

Digging the FJ. Nice set up.

OCD Overland

Explorer
All of the folding aluminum tables like the Alps in the first post are nearly identical. I assume they either all come from the same company in China, or competing companies that rip each other off. That's not to say that they're bad, but it does say that you shouldn't spend a premium thinking that because of the price you're getting a better table. We have three of the cheapest we could find and they've actually held up well - three years now with nothing but minor scratches and I assume they'll last many more. I tried out several when we got ours, and ended up getting the Wal Mart version. They were far cheaper than the others, have the extendable leg for leveling (wish all four were), and have an extra bar across where the legs join for extra support. They're really better tables than the Alps, for nearly ⅓ the price. My only complaint is that the slats for the top are a bit finicky and require more pieces because of the way they're arranged, and I suspect that the Alps would be easier to set up due to that. Not a deal breaker, though, imo. considering you're saving yourself $60/table.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/39511156

The best table we have, by a wide margin, is the Grand Canyon from Travel Chair that was mentioned before. It's a very versatile size, incredibly sturdy and well made, and all four legs are adjustable for leveling or to change the height. Everyone should have one of those. The only problem, which is universal, is that the ratchet on the legs will fill with grit and it makes extending them a pain. I don't know anyone who doesn't complain about it, and it's an obvious drawback to an otherwise perfect camp table. They should fix it.

Last edited:

yonah

All of the folding aluminum tables like the Alps in the first post are nearly identical. I assume they either all come from the same company in China, or competing companies that rip each other off. That's not to say that they're bad, but it does say that you shouldn't spend a premium thinking that because of the price you're getting a better table.

Sounds like most RTTs on the market.

I tried out several when we got ours, and ended up getting the Wal Mart version. They were far cheaper than the others, have the extendable leg for leveling (wish all four were), and have an extra bar across where the legs join for extra support. They're really better tables than the Alps, for nearly ⅓ the price. My only complaint is that the slats for the top are a bit finicky and require more pieces because of the way they're arranged, and I suspect that the Alps would be easier to set up due to that. Not a deal breaker, though, imo. considering you're saving yourself $60/table.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/39511156

Awesome table, and price, but from looking at the dimensions and eyeing the design, it doesn't look like it will fit into my drawer.

Also, I went with the ALPS regular table via SteepandCheap - $56 shipped to my door. I'll give it a shot. The only drawback I can see is it doesn't have an integrated leveling option like the Travel Chair, but again, it's $56. I have a set of leveling blocks I use for the truck when the RTT is up, so I can always slide a block or two under the table keep it planted.

Thanks for the thorough response. I appreciate you taking the time to do that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior