Looking for better payload truck (getting rid of Ram Rebel)

VentureDad

Currently have a 2019 Ram Rebel that’s my daily and overland vehicle. I love everything about it except the payload numbers. I’m looking to get rid of it and get an older HD truck. Not sure if I want to get a gasser or a diesel but I would like a truck with a better payload than my Rebel. My intention is to have a truck for towing, mild overlanding, and have a truck with a better payload for a 4 season camper. 4 door since we are a family of 5. My plan is to sell the Rebel and get the bigger older truck and a smaller overland/daily driver like an LX470. I don’t mind having higher maintenance cost as long as the truck is reliable and won’t leave me stranded in the middle of the desert or mountains. Suggestions on what you might think will fit the bill. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
What’s your payload now? What does the payload sticker in the door say?

When you say payload for a 4 season camper are you talking about a travel trailer or truck mounted camper?

VentureDad

Looking for a slide in camper. Just well insulated one but on the lighter side like a fiberglass slide in. Not looking for a dually so would probably get a smaller big foot or maybe an Alaskan Camper. The Rebel tows our travel trailer fine. Max payload is around 1500 pounds and the rear end sags when you put a toothpick in the back. Currently I have 2” coil spacers to help the sag with decked drawers, a topper, and camping gear.

andy_b

Looking for a slide in camper. Just well insulated one but on the lighter side like a fiberglass slide in. Not looking for a dually so would probably get a smaller big foot or maybe an Alaskan Camper. The Rebel tows our travel trailer fine. Max payload is around 1500 pounds and the rear end sags when you put a toothpick in the back. Currently I have 2” coil spacers to help the sag with decked drawers, a topper, and camping gear.

Estimate how much the human payload plus current camping gear weighs, and then round up when there is 1) more space for gear and 2) the trappings of 4 season activities. Not including water, food, and other consumables for that many people and it is going to go up quickly.

Buy once, cry once.

jbaucom

If you want payload and don't want a dually, then you don't want a diesel, especially in older trucks. The extra engine weight eats into payload. I don't know how old "older" is, but if you want reliable then I'd get a Super Duty with a 6.2 or GM HD with the 6.0 V8. Still might be a bit optimistic to pack a family of 5 in an older SRW truck with a 4-season camper in the bed and stay within the payload rating. A 2015 F350 CCSB SRW maxed out at 4,440 lbs payload, and if the truck was ordered with the 10,000 lb GVW then the max could be as low as 3,210 lbs (and these numbers are for stripped down trucks without comfort and convenience options). I assume with a family of 5 that you would want a long bed for extra space in the camper, so that would drop those numbers even further.

The Alaskan is the lightweight between the two options that you mentioned, with a wet weight of approximately 1 ton. The Bigfoot campers lighter options appear to come in at around 2,500 lbs wet, at a minimum. If your family is like mine, then your passenger weight is not decreasing with each passing year - my family of 4 weighs about 650 lbs and my 12-year-old is the tallest member of the family. With the Alaskan, a 3,000 lb payload might cut it with a full load of passengers, clothes, food and beverages, not to mention any tools, recovery gear, and comfort items carried, if you pack light. If you're looking at the Bigfoot campers, then aiming for a truck with a payload north of 3,500 lbs seems like a minimum requirement. If you definitely want to play it safe, add at least 500 lbs to these figures.

VentureDad

The camper would be used mainly for hunting season with on average 2 people. Luckily my family is on the smaller scale weight wise. I’m not trying to fit my whole family in the camper so that’s why I was thinking an Alaskan. Mainly need to tow with some occasional overloading and need to fit 5 in the cab for snowboarding and camping activities.

Last edited:

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
The camper would be used mainly for hunting season with on average 2 people. Luckily my family is on the smaller scale weight wise. I’m not trying to fit my whole family in the camper so that’s why I was thinking an Alaskan. Mainly need to tow with some occasional overloading and need to fit 5 in the cab for snowboarding and camping activities.
Honest question... Would there be a 2nd vehicle for hunting? If not, how would you haul the carcass after a kill?

ThundahBeagle

Slide in campers - you need a minimum 250/ 2500 series truck. You approach or pass qvw just sliding that thing in (um...)

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Check the articles at the top of the page. The Ram AEV would be perfect. Already has the camper, able to offroad and plenty of room in the bed for a deer.

VentureDad

Honest question... Would there be a 2nd vehicle for hunting? If not, how would you haul the carcass after a kill?

Usually I hike in and pack out quarters depending on what type of animal. So the short answer is chevrolegs and a backpack. After hiking out I put the quarters in a cooler. I do have a Polaris ace I use depending on where I go. Considering getting rid of the Ace and getting a TJ. Not sure if that’s what you were asking but that’s it in a nutshell.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94