Looking for AT Tires

TantoTrailers

I have a 2016 F150 as my daily driver and I am in need of some new tires. I would like to get something slightly more aggressive than the stock tires I am replacing. This vehicle is 2wd and I don't plan on taking it on any challenging off road adventures where it would be questionable, but I do want to be able to get off the beaten path from time to time. (I will be building a dedicated overlanding vehicle in the future) I am looking at the 3 options below which are available from my dealership. Does anyone have any experience or input on these 3?

Pirelli Scorpion A/T Plus
Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT
General Grabber APT

ultraclyde

Observer
Is this the thread to check in and recommend whatever tire you're currently running? Good, just wanted to make sure I was in the right place.

I just put 175/70r18 Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLTs on my '13 F150. They are probably a step more aggressive than you want, but "ve been impressed with them. Very quiet on the highway and ride great. Heavier (they're e-rated) than the p-rated street tires I took off, though, and that cost me some acceleration and about 1mpg.

I'd look at the standard AT3 and the ATP versions if yo have a Discount Tire near you. The surface tread pattern is the same as the XLT and but it lacks the sidewall biters. I ran the AT3 on a Jeep I had and found them durable and better in mud than they should be. A great tire for a truck that sees mostly street miles but some use off road.

Out of the ones you mention, I almost bought the Grabbers but read bad things about harsh ride but the traction was always spoken highly of. The Scorpions have a bad rep in some circles for poor traction in mud, but they ride nicely. The trail runners seem to be a good compromise tire that covers the bases but doesn't excel at any one thing.

TantoTrailers

Personally my first pick is the Pirelli by looks alone. Reading the reviews, the low road noise is also a plus since 90% of my driving on these will be pavement =(

ultraclyde, I appreciate the input but those are not offered by my Dealership and I am trying to take advantage of a promotion to scoop these up....edit: I feel like a ******** I completely missed the part where you mentioned the tires I spoke of! Thank you for the feedback!

Last edited:

TantoTrailers

Those Toyo tires are quite burly and would give the impression that my truck is 4x4 worthy, which it’s not haha but I’m taking note of those for my future expedition vehicle.

Grassland

Do you need winter traction at all?
My dad's truck has the trailrunner AT (13 ram QC 4x4) and they had significantly less traction on snow and ice than my BFG K02 on my F150. It was a cold weekend, -25 Celsius, and I borrowed his truck to tow my work trailer for a couple days while my truck was down. Did not at all like them in that aspect.
Don't have much experience with them on dry/wet roads or dirt roads.

TantoTrailers

Do you need winter traction at all?
My dad's truck has the trailrunner AT (13 ram QC 4x4) and they had significantly less traction on snow and ice than my BFG K02 on my F150. It was a cold weekend, -25 Celsius, and I borrowed his truck to tow my work trailer for a couple days while my truck was down. Did not at all like them in that aspect.
Don't have much experience with them on dry/wet roads or dirt roads.
Definitely need snow and ******** weather tires cause here in Chicago we have 2 seasons. Winter n construction.

rruff

Explorer
In your experience how have AT tires affected your gas mileage over stock/road tires?

I'm happy with the Hankook ATMs. They are big (~35x13) and over double the weight of the stock street tires, but I detected no loss in MPG. A little noise, a little firmer ride, but squirm less in corners.

Not all ATs are the same when it comes to rolling resistance.

ultraclyde

Observer
In your experience how have AT tires affected your gas mileage over stock/road tires?
As I mentioned, I've seen about 1mpg drop in my calculated average fuel economy. I think this is partially from rolling resistance of the tread and partially from weight. The weight increase was made worse by going from P-rated tires to E-rated. We're talking adding 20 POUNDS PER WHEEL in rotational weight. That's significant, but I'm happy with the trade off. You can't go where I want to go on street tires.

ramatl73

Observer
Toyo Open Country AT3. Have those on my 2016 RAM 1500 4wd. The Nitto Terra Grappler G3 are good too, had those on my old Ram 1500 2wd. I think Toyo makes them for Nitto or vice versa.

old .45

Observer
I have been running Firestone Discovery AT tires on my present truck and my previous truck... the are quiet on pavement and wear well siped enough for good performance in the rain at highway speeds. I have found them to be more than enough for the of road driving I do, fire roads and even some rougher 2 tracks and rocky sections with some mud and water crossings thrown in. Stock size for my Fx4 F 150.

Wilbah

Adventurer
Theres a thread right now about Michelin LTX's that you might consider. I know for me they were great in the snow and moderate off road. I would look at then for your needs.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles