Looking for an expedition TRUCK

bmwags

I got a Ford Raptor Supercrew. Pretty much everything you'd want, right out of the box. Find a good used one with warranty still.

DRTYTOY

Observer
what cant the Subaru do? what year?

Ran into this Subi on a trail in Colorado and he was having problems with not enough clearence to clear the small rock obsticles that a bone stock 4WD truck could have made on street tires. Talked to him a bit and he said he had like a 1.5"-2" lift on it with oversized tires and he was still bottoming out badly, I didn't even know if it had any skids or anything under it :Wow1: He did eventually make it to his end point but I wouldn't be comfortable taking that car on that trail and it was pretty easy.

doubleroses

Adventurer
I have a 2013 Tacoma DCSB. It's a tight squeeze for 3 people. I wouldn't go 5. After getting our 2000 Land Cruiser I understand that each have their own place. A full size truck would my option if I were you.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Ran into this Subi on a trail in Colorado and he was having problems with not enough clearence to clear the small rock obsticles that a bone stock 4WD truck could have made on street tires. Talked to him a bit and he said he had like a 1.5"-2" lift on it with oversized tires and he was still bottoming out badly, I didn't even know if it had any skids or anything under it :Wow1: He did eventually make it to his end point but I wouldn't be comfortable taking that car on that trail and it was pretty easy.

Put your flame suit on brother! ha ha

Dake21

Adventurer

Ground clearance stock is 8.7 inches. He if he 1 or 2 inches that over 10 inches. A stock Rubicon has 10.5 inches of ground clearance so something doesnt work there.

digitaldelay

Explorer
Ground clearance stock is 8.7 inches. He if he 1 or 2 inches that over 10 inches. A stock Rubicon has 10.5 inches of ground clearance so something doesnt work there.
I know what you mean, but I think it's different with a solid axle. You don't lose ground clearance when the suspension compresses.

Jason

bfdiesel

Explorer

Like the fact the rubicon clearance is 10.5" at the diffs and greater everywhere else and the subby is 8-9" everywhere, so it can't put a wheel on a rock to lift the diff up and over.

There is far more to tackling trail obstacles than just "minimum ground clearance" numbers.

Approach, breakover, and departure angles are far more important than "minimum ground clearance" numbers, and a Jeep Wrangler has these angles in spades.

A Subaru is a highway passenger car with passenger car clearances, and should stick to mild, carefully graded dirt roads or getting to the ski area in the winter as the top end of off road capability.

phsycle

Adventurer
Hopefully this doesn't turn into a Sub vs truck thread. We enjoy our Subaru, but we also know it's capabilities. We want to extend our range in the backcountry; hence, this thread.

Width/space wise, fortunately, my girls are slender like their mom, so space really isn't an issue now and won't be for quite a few years to come. Looks like the Tacoma is a couple of inches wider than the current Subaru, so that could only help.

That said, even more room would not be the worst thing in the world. Plus the comfort of driving a bigger truck over long distances is something to be accounted for as well. I've driven an older Tacoma for 9 hours and it felt like 18. The super uncomfortable seats didn't help, either. I'm sure the new Tacoma is much more comfortable, but the old one did take a toll on me. I've also driven in full-size trucks and SUV's, and the difference is quite noticeable. I'm not as tired or beat up.

I'm going to try to see about renting a newer Tacoma to see if it will be doable (if I can find one). I'll also check out the Frontier. Plenty of full-size trucks for rent as well. We will see what the panel has to say. Thanks again.

Dake21

Adventurer
Oh ok I get it. I tough you were talking about ground clearance alone, but sure I agree with you guys.
Tacomas were way too expensive in my aera to even consider buying one.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
2013 Outback. It's pretty capable and handles fire roads and asphalt better than a lot of vehicles I've owned. But:

1) Load capacity. When it gets loaded down, it sags too much. Airbags would help, but ride still suffers a bit.
2) "High clearance only" roads are avoided, because of the said sag and capabilities in rougher terrain. I'm not going to test its limits driving way out in the back country.
3) Cargo space. Subaru is ok with a roof rack, but that's packing pretty minimal for a family of 5. If we were to head out on for a week, we would need a trailer.
4) Most importantly, I want a truck again. :)
1). king springs
2). primitive lift spacers
3). no argument if you pack that much stuff
4). that's the real reason.

E.J.

Explorer
DSCN6194.JPG

DSCN6212.JPG

My old Foz was 12" at the diffs, I think I might be a little better driver than the guy in that OB.
Now that I've got something with low range and a locker wheeling is a little more serene.

edit: I also really wanted a truck.

phsycle

Adventurer
1). king springs
2). primitive lift spacers
3). no argument if you pack that much stuff
4). that's the real reason.

I understand that you want to defend Subaru. They're fine vehicles and we love ours for what it is. While capable, to "extend" our ability to explore, we want a better vehicle. Although I do want a truck, it is more about capability. Please look up "Hole in the Rock trail" and see how extensive a Subaru will have to be modified to get it through that trail. :) Again, don't want a Subaru debate. Thanks.

DRTYTOY

Observer

Wasn't trying to diss any Subi's but just stating what I witnessed, I didn't get any pics of his wheels but I was suprised they held air in the tires. This is a backwards shot of the obsticle that gave him problems. Right after I snapped this pic he made it over but you can see what was hanging him up. Also it was steeper than the pic makes it look and his tires were wet which I'm sure didn't help. One thing you can't get in the Subi's(Correct me if I'm wrong) is low range. I don't know about everyone else but I'd think wheeling a Subi with out low range and with a manual tranny wouldn't be any fun for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke