Looking for an expedition TRUCK

Dake21

Adventurer
you don't think so?
all low range is, is another selectable set of gears (btw, I had a DSG box in my subie) that gives you a different ratio.

You don't think that an infinitely adjustable ratio box can do the same?

No, because like you said the CVT is changing the existing gear ratio. A transfer case has a reduction gear that produces extra torque and engine braking.

freshlikesushi

Free Candy
all a reduction gear is doing is changing a gear ratio.....again...reducing. a CVT is infinitely variable gear ratios only limited to the what the other differentials can use.

just do some research. subaru even has videos out there for guys like you

99Discovery

Adventurer
I'm a GMC/Chevy guy and I concur with the full size Ram. The new generation is awesome, complete with drainable water cooler/ice boxes in the crew cab foot-wells. Save up your $$ and get the Ram Power Wagon, then you have your e-lockers, winch, electronic sway bars, and protection all ready added. Think of it as a Jeep Rubicon, but a truck!

I have a 2011 GMC 2500HD with three kids and we love it and have plenty of room for the kids, but the approach angle is garbage because of the MPG-friendly front bumper. You'd have to dump quite a bit of money into it to make it really trail capable. So right now it's essentially a trailer-puller and we explore in the Disco 2.

If I had known about the Power Wagon, I would have got it no questions asked.

On another note, there was a recommendation to get a diesel because of a 90s power-stroke that got 300k. The modern diesel is quite different from the bullet-proof Ford 7.3. They are more powerful and awesome; no doubt, but honestly, I'm not sure I would recommend them on the trail. I was considering trading my 2500HD on a 2014 RAM dually with Cummins for a slide-in camper and tow the disco, you can get darn near $15k off of MSRP when ordering a RAM diesel, and the "stripped" versions are actually quite nice.

Back to the diesel, they are awesome on the highway, but the new Urea injection requirements and the fact the particulate filter needs to regenerate (temperatures over 1000F) by burning off the ash isn't necessarily "trail friendly". True, they have computer chips that don't go into regen mode until you are over 55MPH (sometimes happens on a dirt road), but if you were driving below 55MPH on an extended backcountry trip, the computer would limit yoru power to a crawl until you could free up the filter.

That and I've seen quite a few people who have needed to replace this $1k+ filter every 60k miles or so. And this filter is NOT included in the 100k power-train warranty by any of the big 3 (so all of the big 3's engineers say you do NOT want to warranty this filter that long). That says a lot.

What also says a lot is the blue-tech diesel in the RAM 1500 is only warrantied out to 60k miles.....every other engine in Chrystler's fleet is 100k (even the big brother Cummins) but not the blue-tech.....hmm....something to think about.

So; in short, simple to work push-rod hemi-V8 equipped Power Wagon for the win!

granelli

Why not a Tundra? Overbuilt and comes with one of the best performing/longest travel suspensions for a stock truck aside from a raptor and with a set of bolt in coilovers you have a very tough capable machine. The Tacomas are awesome for various reasons but I really prefer the size and power of the tundra. I bought a 2007 crewmax limited for $23k with 37k miles. I'm up to 105,000 miles in two years with no problems at all. Towed a race car and trailer many times, done lots of offroad (both low and high speed) and it just keeps going and feels as tight as it ever has. They have awesome brakes and a great transmission. They will factory warranty the 500+hp supercharged option past 50k miles on a used truck, driveline and all. To me, that means they are very confident in the toughness of their trucks.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
I'll vouch for the Power Wagon as the best damned all-around truck you can buy. I bought an '05 (3G) when they first came out and it is by far the best truck I have ever owned. After nine years, the only problem has been a dead CD player, replaced under warranty. I currently also own a '98 GMC Z71 that I have had since new. Comfortable but not very reliable over the years; GM left out a lot of engineering that I have had to build back in with various upgrades. Also own a 2008 Tundra CrewMax TRD, nice truck but very car-like. Tundra on-road handling was terrible until I upgraded the shocks and put on a leveling kit (not my idea, but it did work for more than looks). Interior of the Tundra is huge, truck is comfortable and very quick, but gas mileage is poor. The only downside to the Power Wagon is really crappy gas mileage with all that weight and the 4.56 gears. I love that truck and will keep it forever. The others are expendable. For everything Power Wagon, go here: http://forum.powerwagonregistry.org/. You can also go to the PW pages on DodgeTalk.com, but most of the PW guys have moved to the previously mentioned forum. Did I mention that it's a great truck?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I drove a stock '05 Dodge 2500 qclb G-56 at the shop I use. The owner invited me to compare my '07 5.9 G-56 to his. 227K,SBC OFE clutch,new water pump,brakes,shocks etc. That's it. That truck drove better than mine! Stock tires and no camper certainly help but I was impressed. The pre-emission manual Dodges are pretty damn reliable and you will walk away in one piece in the event of a collision with a lighter vehicle.

phsycle

Adventurer
Thanks again, everyone. I am leaning towards a Ram. Probably not the Powerwagon, but either a v6 or v8 double cab. Maybe minimal upgrades (factory locker, if available?), but mostly will keep it stock. Looking forward to getting a truck again. We'll have the Subaru for mostly on-road travels and the Ram for rougher country.

PowerWagner

Explorer
Thanks again, everyone. I am leaning towards a Ram. Probably not the Powerwagon, but either a v6 or v8 double cab. Maybe minimal upgrades (factory locker, if available?), but mostly will keep it stock. Looking forward to getting a truck again. We'll have the Subaru for mostly on-road travels and the Ram for rougher country.

Maybe hang tight and check out the new RAM 1500 Ram-Runner they're launching later this year/next. Supposed to have choice of V6 diesel or a V8. May have lockers out of the gate.

402xjeeper

Observer
Ford f150, easy to mildly lift, multiple cab and bed combos to choose from. Very capable and durable. A Tacoma does not have enough payload for a family of 5.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
If you are buying new, F150 all the way, with the v6 non ecoboost. I had one out the other day, and I was very impressed with it compared to the current gen ram. The Ford v6 is a much better engine than the pentastar. It feels like the 4.6 v8. Where as the pentastar feels like an underpowered minivan engine just slapped into a truck just to say they have a v6. Plus the comfort of the ford inside is ahead of the Ram now. I am currently shopping trucks myself and if I buy new, it will be the ford XLT crew 5ft box.

phsycle

Adventurer
I don't know much about Ford. However, a business client has a F150 ecoboost (the 3.5L). He's had it for about 1.5 years now and is fairly happy with it, except it gets nowhere near the advertised MPG. He says he's not gotten over 17MPG, and usually averages 13-15MPG. Probably about 1/2 city. But even on long trips, he's topping out at 17, and not 20+.

But they look like good trucks. I like the ride the few times I've been in them.

That said, looks wise, I'm still liking the Ram. RE: Ram-Runner--any info on those? Can't seem to find anything online...

Buliwyf

Viking with a Hammer
can you get into a 4x4 Ram crew cab for under $30k though? I thought those big full size trucks were hella expensive? I mean, sure you can get a stripper 2wd reg cab for that price but you need 4wd and room for the family.

2015 F250 Crewcab builds to around $43k on Fords website. Dealer pricing is obviously much lower usually. If I recall correctly. A good F350 expo setup truck is 38,000 box stock. CC adds almost $4000. And a few other interior options adds up to $43. Skip the lame Fx4, try to get manual hubs and xfer cases.

Also keep in mind that the big trucks last forever for regular camping light towing use. So the price might not be a deal breaker. They'll go 25 years easy now. Just noticed that my buds 7.3L Superduty is 14 years old. Runs like new, needs front springs.

ripperj

Explorer
My 2012 Ram 2500 Hemi gets almost identical mpg to the ecoboost posted above, I would much rather have the bigger truck

Sent from my Passport using Tapatalk 2

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I know two city slicker dads who were all excited about the ecoboost F150 mainly due to the claimed mileage. Both of them absolutely hate the trucks today primarily because they can hardly break 17mpg on the highway and to be fair they would be just fine in a 2.5L Outback with what they use the trucks for. Given I typically tow more often and haul more people and do more road trips than they do with my subaru:) - on the flip side I find it interesting that my 07 Sequoia returns 17mpg pretty much every road trip we take with it packed to the seams with people and gear with the trailer also. So I would not suggest going ecoboost route if your expecting impressive mileage because by all things I see and hear they do not return the mileage numbers you would want. If you go into it knowing this the F150 Ecoboost is probably a good truck otherwise.

rayra

Expedition Leader
$6k got me a 2002 k1500 Z71 Suburban with 117k mi on it, in very good mechanical and cosmetic condition. $10-12k will get you one 3-5yrs newer with 80k mi. Seats 6 in comfort, has 30cu ft of storage room behind the 3rd row seat, has 140cu' of interior room altogether, and with the 2nd row folded and the 3rd row out, I can stuff a full sheet of plywood in the back. Or a big sofa. Or a bunch of 2x4s

suburbancargo_zpsn43mwy2w.jpg
merryXmas_zpsd944ed29.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior