Looking for an awning + walls should I look at anything besides ARB?

MiamiC70

I am looking to install an awning on my Subaru Outback 2000mm x 2500mm however, I will also want to install a wall kit so been looking at the ARB awning and Deluxe room kit. Should I be looking at anything else?
I like the big windows and option to use as a screen or tent wall as I am in S. FL which means a lot rain and mosquitoes in spring and summer and walls come in handy for that month we call winter.

outback97

Adventurer
I am looking to install an awning on my Subaru Outback 2000mm x 2500mm however, I will also want to install a wall kit so been looking at the ARB awning and Deluxe room kit. Should I be looking at anything else?
I like the big windows and option to use as a screen or tent wall as I am in S. FL which means a lot rain and mosquitoes in spring and summer and walls come in handy for that month we call winter.

I don't have any experience with other setups, but I have the ARB awning and deluxe room kit, and can offer some comments on that system.

I love the awning. It gets used more for shade than rain shelter where we travel here in the west, but it is handy in some light rain, provided there is not a lot of wind.

I am less sold on the room.

Here's what I like about the room:
Integrates well with the awning
Lots of mesh and therefore good ventilation
Large windows, feels open
Fairly easy and quick setup
Protected / private space when sleeping inside a vehicle

Here's what I don't like about the room:
It's a bit bulky to transport
I wouldn't trust it in any high winds, fortunately haven't experienced that though
Not sure how well it'd hold up to heavy rain. I'd want an upright pole in the center to help shed water
Cannot move the vehicle once it's set up (obviously)
Requires decent amount of flat clear space next to vehicle
*Note that most of these are deficiencies as compared to a freestanding tent, which reflects how I would use it, not necessarily how others use it.

Something else to consider is how high off the ground your awning is mounted. There's some flexibility in the awning room, but there's a sweet spot range that your Outback could fall a bit short of. Our slightly lifted Xterra is a good height match for using the awning and room, and its roof is almost a foot higher than a fifth gen Outback's.

zCA3Pn_OVXl2sxcdJ71MXA9KPym_SpjtsItdhNXYlGCP14dg8wFDxn1wIoxt8ci3QOyaxobDFvk_seF7MfivdY96QL6VomPrk3HAzjIBOL_zcoxXAkKlLAfHEBZ7-9xL0DdNIGLptZo=w2400

In summary, I highly recommend the awning, not so sure about the room for our purposes and where we go. Florida is a long ways from Utah so maybe it'd be ideal for you there. Hopefully someone else can offer further comments on other options.

dcg141

Adventurer
I don't have any experience with other setups, but I have the ARB awning and deluxe room kit, and can offer some comments on that system.

I love the awning. It gets used more for shade than rain shelter where we travel here in the west, but it is handy in some light rain, provided there is not a lot of wind.

I am less sold on the room.

Here's what I like about the room:
Integrates well with the awning
Lots of mesh and therefore good ventilation
Large windows, feels open
Fairly easy and quick setup
Protected / private space when sleeping inside a vehicle

Here's what I don't like about the room:
It's a bit bulky to transport
I wouldn't trust it in any high winds, fortunately haven't experienced that though
Not sure how well it'd hold up to heavy rain. I'd want an upright pole in the center to help shed water
Cannot move the vehicle once it's set up (obviously)
Requires decent amount of flat clear space next to vehicle
*Note that most of these are deficiencies as compared to a freestanding tent, which reflects how I would use it, not necessarily how others use it.

Something else to consider is how high off the ground your awning is mounted. There's some flexibility in the awning room, but there's a sweet spot range that your Outback could fall a bit short of. Our slightly lifted Xterra is a good height match for using the awning and room, and its roof is almost a foot higher than a fifth gen Outback's.

zCA3Pn_OVXl2sxcdJ71MXA9KPym_SpjtsItdhNXYlGCP14dg8wFDxn1wIoxt8ci3QOyaxobDFvk_seF7MfivdY96QL6VomPrk3HAzjIBOL_zcoxXAkKlLAfHEBZ7-9xL0DdNIGLptZo=w2400

In summary, I highly recommend the awning, not so sure about the room for our purposes and where we go. Florida is a long ways from Utah so maybe it'd be ideal for you there. Hopefully someone else can offer further comments on other options.
I would second pretty much all of that. The one I have is canvas so I think it will shed water well but its probably even bulkier than yours. You also lose some room from the side of the vehicle extending out from where the awning is mounted. Your pic shows that perfectly and mine does the same thing.

Last edited:

outback97

Adventurer
I would second pretty much all of that. The one I have is canvas so I think it will shed water well but its probably even bulkier than yours. You also lose some room from the side of the vehicle extending out from where the awning is mounted. Your pic shows that perfectly and mine does the same thing.

That's a good point that I failed to mention, thanks. Xterras have a pretty narrow roof rack compared to some SUV's, so it might be worse on mine than on some other vehicles, but unless you have the awning mounted slightly outboard of the side of the vehicle, you're losing some depth of the room.

If I used this setup more often, I'd probably mount the awning a little further outboard for this reason.

Pax2525

Adventurer
I have a brand new deluxe room in the box Id like to move along. Have an extra one in my shop and we are moving to a larger awning on my trailers. Thanks

WOODY2

Adventurer
Would suggest investigating the differences between old style rooms and new style. There are major differences IMHO. Some like the new some like the old, the previous generation are hard to find FYI.

MiamiC70

The new one looks like what I want. Being in South Florida bug netting will get lots of use and the bigger the windows the better the airflow also a good thing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne