Looking for an '06+ LR3 with HD package...

Divided_Wood

Anyone seen one around? Have perused just about every Craigslist market and haven't found much luck.

Looking to spend $6-7K. Hoping maybe someone has one off-market they're thinking of getting rid of. Closer to 100K miles, the better.

I need another Rover to round out the stable--I don't hate myself enough to drive my Series in the winter :coffee:

TexasTJ

Climbing Nerd
I would sell you mine now that its all fixed up, but I'm quite a bit above you price range.

Divided_Wood

In terms of miles, HD package, or both? I know 2 folks who have gotten theirs with HD under 7 grand and well south of 150k miles. Maybe I'm being unrealistic in expecting to find a similar deal, but I know they are out there.

Edit--I'd be willing to go above 6 or 7 grand, just basing my search off of those aforementioned experiences.

morrisdl

Adventurer
Id sell you my 2006 w/locking rear diff for $20k too ;-)

ZTuG6gg8lpbNBBZ6r0FIagxXRE4OPIX8fFTM2jsDDKWP85uUQw2bMBAWKG6Nd7E_-PykbNNyM0QiFmVpsZZ8t_4C56KGUD9e7QhQxtP0oJk8nl8P_yiGc-ab_xX2hQ_YXPV_Dpdb22GUkIa6XcOapMVjehlurTgePwIRFIlcZLdfXqo6s0FIGHmx4gDHC3B_vCFnURMMLd2OsZl8Z9w2bKZD309Je3NBmSwRT81ptB8j-k_plizvOgo-9MSr6cCeEuLkjROQYFMho8zeU-FNkUzFmNetW0I5dszISd6mNeq8K8CbtxYdgii06THxhZKSfdO2Rf2Wl7nwyOudx1G9W2n-4yXC9mJxu6oGtRFn_bbRxdVB44Lk6jxdD6YEn-m2pBaHxMEv7GkazIFcXz-SFvXbgqX-f4nOQUt3eGHlD323U1E1qDNmn6AJWfxZwz2wPIBikgp-Z5kMW4AedXTObmNmChmh4lg8wDa6PkTNyrOYe1R9RLyeZAXoWc3nAp_HmkiGF-PZV2oRf6z32pqd5axWnczwf6DuKzD04-KVyzr_wECky_WGzZUZJqcFSBRDztduI1x6R3nz_3AWI7_i9SixbqoqEPXmnY2gr-joPnvgCQyo_08yhHAH4CzhQ5-jp61Y85hJFukG-RwBegxNjnYdd4NgqL1plCO6=w1400-h1257-no-tmp.jpg

NCLRbear

Adventurer
I have an '06 w/ HD that i may be willing to part with but I have over 200k miles. runs great and maintained very well.

P.S. I love the No RDS license plate ^^^

krick3tt

Adventurer
I think you should put some real money on the table. If you can possibly find one in that range you are going to spend a lot more than that getting it in shape to be safe on the road and elsewhere. I found a 07 HSE for 9500 and still had to contend with hidden issues that cost over $10K
Perhaps a Jeep would be more in your range.

Divided_Wood

I own a Series, so I know how expensive and time-consuming Rovers can be to maintain.

LR3 pricing is weird to me in that it's so all over the place. As I mentioned above, I have a few buddies who have picked up 06s with HD package for less than 7 grand within the last year. Another friend paid more for his, but he's had it for 4 relatively trouble-free years. There are lots of them floating around in the $7-9K range, and plenty in the $12-14K range. I understand there are more issues that can rear their ugly head in a cheaper truck, but am having a hard time making sense of the extremely wide range in prices in these trucks around the U.S.

Angry_Man

Adventurer
I own a Series, so I know how expensive and time-consuming Rovers can be to maintain.

LR3 pricing is weird to me in that it's so all over the place. As I mentioned above, I have a few buddies who have picked up 06s with HD package for less than 7 grand within the last year. Another friend paid more for his, but he's had it for 4 relatively trouble-free years. There are lots of them floating around in the $7-9K range, and plenty in the $12-14K range. I understand there are more issues that can rear their ugly head in a cheaper truck, but am having a hard time making sense of the extremely wide range in prices in these trucks around the U.S.

Maintenance, a $7K truck should need $5000-$7000 of once every 10 years parts replaced or serviced. A $12-14k truck should only need fluids and pads for another 10 years. Second is the initial MSRP range, a 39k V6SE truck vs a 64k HSE. Issues are exceptions, these trucks are bullet proof unless you have bad luck. Plenty of 200-600k mile examples from the last 12 years.

There are tons of 05 and up LR3 for sale on OfferUp, CL, Facebook, etc. here in the San Diego area. Might consider a non-HD model for exceptionally low price and open up your scope to more vehicles with great maintenance history. With that said, you can easily save a few thousand on the right vehicle, spend it on dropping in an ARB rear locker and a fresh set of bearings in the diff and youre good in that area for 100k miles or more.

Just some other options for you to consider.

DiscoDavis

Explorer
Price range reflects service history and care in maintenance. People buying the 7k trucks are getting lucky, the 12-14k should have perfect service history with no gaps and all major intervals checked off.

Ray_G

Explorer
There are tons of 05 and up LR3 for sale on OfferUp, CL, Facebook, etc. here in the San Diego area. Might consider a non-HD model for exceptionally low price and open up your scope to more vehicles with great maintenance history. With that said, you can easily save a few thousand on the right vehicle, spend it on dropping in an ARB rear locker and a fresh set of bearings in the diff and youre good in that area for 100k miles or more.

Just some other options for you to consider.

x2 on the non-HD expansion.

Folks tend to view the HD as some pinnacle, but in reality I'm not sure that 99% of the folks need it 95% of the time (Ok, I totally made those percentages up...but you get my point).
Simply put, these things are superb out of the box even non-HD. If you are wheeling so hard you need locker(s) you could always spend the $ on ARBs-and the reality still is if you are wheeling it that hard, that often, it will be broken quite a bit b/c they are heavy and maintenance intensive (and there better platforms for that kind of flogging).

So if you are really looking for a winter DD...dispense with the HD requirement. IMHO.
:)
r-
Ray

x2 on the non-HD expansion.

Folks tend to view the HD as some pinnacle, but in reality I'm not sure that 99% of the folks need it 95% of the time (Ok, I totally made those percentages up...but you get my point).
Simply put, these things are superb out of the box even non-HD. If you are wheeling so hard you need locker(s) you could always spend the $ on ARBs-and the reality still is if you are wheeling it that hard, that often, it will be broken quite a bit b/c they are heavy and maintenance intensive (and there better platforms for that kind of flogging).

So if you are really looking for a winter DD...dispense with the HD requirement. IMHO.
:)
r-
Ray

#AMEN!

Whenever I need to rebuild my diff, if the price is right, I'll put a locker in at that point. I've never needed one and that one time I felt I really needed one was when I was in a position I should never have gotten myself into in the first place. Even in that case, I was able to get out with the vehicles capabilities knowing to never get myself in that place again.

NCLRbear

Adventurer
I have a Ediff on mine and i honestly have no idea when i need it and don't. I have no control over it ( as you know its automatic) I just point my rig up a hill, or down and it goes and most of the time makes it. (except that one time i lost a window:Wow1:) so I can't say how often you will use it but i do know its awesome.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles