Looking for Alaska rig

Sup3rrad

Looking for rig capable to be in Alaska for extended long stays. Needs to handle extreme weather & terrain. Be able to sleep comfortably. I don’t mind if I needs some work.
I currently overland and off road in a very well built jeep cherokee xj. however I feel for this venture I'd need more space. I'll potentially be working along the arctic sea for weeks at a time 6 weeks on 2 weeks off. there is room & board but i like to have my own peace of mind and my own space. I plan on exploring and off roading as much as I can. I want to be comfortable but I dont need anything over the top. just some good shelter and space to cook & sleep out of the elements.

I'd like to stay under 40,000 total. cheaper the better.

camper on a pick up or flat bed is what i had in mind.

most of the time it will just be me. Occasional visits from my dog and fiancee.

I'm very mechanically inclined I prefer older engines such as a 7.3 diesel, inline 6 etc. but i'm not to picky when it comes to that.

gas or diesel are both fine for me.

must have 4x4 or 4wd

doesnt have to be a package deal. If I can find a truck or used vehicle with a moderate build to start that'd be great.

I'd go for an older tundra, excursion, F250, 2500, 4x4 van. I'm open to all options and opinions. having the ability to tow is a nice option. I'll probably be selling my 1999 f250 7.3 turbo diesel before the trip. Its in great shape but only RWD.

Last edited:

AbleGuy

Officious Intermeddler
This sounds like quite an intriguing challenge of yours.

More details as to your specific budget, needs/wants, lifestyle preferences, comfort expectations and intended use really would be necessary to give you any useful advice.

Without more, I’d say keep your set up as simple as possible.

We once lived up in Yukon/Alaska/Northern B.C. @ for two months in an 8’ long, 60” high 1/4 cab over shell with essentially nothing built in in it, on a half ton reg cab, long bed 4x4 with a six cylinder engine and had a great experience doing so.

Would that combo work for everyone? Certainly not….so, again, fill in the blanks for us about your plans and maybe we can help you out.

Last edited:

Peterson600

I have my 2021 4Runner for sale..

-Carter

Attachments

• 20221223_131000.jpg
    20221223_131000.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 85
  • 20221223_131041.jpg
    20221223_131041.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 100
  • 20221223_131353.jpg
    20221223_131353.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 90
  • 20221223_131959.jpg
    20221223_131959.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 91
  • 20221223_132048.jpg
    20221223_132048.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 85

TripLeader

Explorer
Looking for rig capable to be in Alaska for extended long stays. Needs to handle extreme weather & terrain. Be able to sleep comfortably. I don’t mind if I needs some work.

Here's some questions that might get some traction on this?

Budget?

Preference of manufacturer?

Camper on a pickup?

Sleeping in a SUV?

RV style?

How many people? Pets?

Diesel or gasoline?

Your mechanical abilities?

Sup3rrad

Here's some questions that might get some traction on this?

Budget?

Preference of manufacturer?

Camper on a pickup?

Sleeping in a SUV?

RV style?

How many people? Pets?

Diesel or gasoline?

Your mechanical abilities?

thank you! haha I was very tired when I originally posted.

UPDATE
I currently overland and off road in a well build jeep cherokee xj. however I feel for this venture i'd need more space. I'll potentially be working along the arctic sea for weeks at a time 6 weeks on 2 weeks off. there is room & board but i like to have my own peace of mind and my own space. I plan on exploring and off roading as much as I can. I want to be comfortable but I dont need anything over the top. just some good shelter and space to cook & sleep out of the elements.

I'm very mechanically inclined i prefer older engines such as a 7.3 diesel inline 6. but i'm not to picky when it comes to that.

must have 4x4 or 4wd

I'd go for an older tundra, excursion, F250, 2500, I'd even consider something smaller. I'm open to all options and opinions. having the ability to tow is a nice option. I'll probably be selling my 1999 f250 7.3 turbo diesel before the trip. Its in great shape but only RWD.

Gabe M

This can get you there and there's plenty of room to build out the back to be as comfy as you'd like.

-thanks Gabe

I currently overland and off road in a very well built jeep cherokee xj. however I feel for this venture I'd need more space. I'll potentially be working along the arctic sea for weeks at a time 6 weeks on 2 weeks off. there is room & board but i like to have my own peace of mind and my own space. I plan on exploring and off roading as much as I can. I want to be comfortable but I dont need anything over the top. just some good shelter and space to cook & sleep out of the elements.

I'm very mechanically inclined I prefer older engines such as a 7.3 diesel, inline 6 etc. but i'm not to picky when it comes to that.

must have 4x4 or 4wd

doesnt have to be a package deal. If I can find a truck or used vehicle with a moderate build to start that'd be great.

I'd go for an older tundra, excursion, F250, 2500, 4x4 van. I'm open to all options and opinions. having the ability to tow is a nice option. I'll probably be selling my 1999 f250 7.3 turbo diesel before the trip. Its in great shape but only RWD.

DM sent

out.wandering.McL

here's a couple ideas. I don't know any of these people, just some interesting rigs I'd pursue if money and time were no issue:)

out.wandering.McL

A couple more:

crazysccrmd

Observer
Where will you be at and where will the truck be at? Most places you’d work at on the shore of the Arctic won’t be somewhere you can take the truck, and most of the ones you can take the truck to won’t have anywhere for you to explore with a vehicle that size.

Sup3rrad

Where will you be at and where will the truck be at? Most places you’d work at on the shore of the Arctic won’t be somewhere you can take the truck, and most of the ones you can take the truck to won’t have anywhere for you to explore with a vehicle that size.

As of now prudhoe, yes I’m aware. The truck will mainly be boondocked/parked while working. Then I’ll take a few 2 week trips to other parts of the state. I’m open to suggestions as well. my main rig is an xj I’ve considered taking this because of its capability. I’d just need a very good rtt I suppose. Its a great rig just not very comfortable on long haul drives.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior