Looking for advice on a 4x6 off road trailer build to pull behind and Jeep Wrangler

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
This will be our first off road trailer build of this type and looking for some advice on what to buy and how to do it. Hopefully we can get some answers and do it right the first time. The trailer will be box construction with a lid and a RTT eventually. Might go without the RTT until I can free up so funds but want to build the box so the RTT can be added seamlessly without having to refab the lid or anything.. Also we will be using the Stock Jeep 5 star wheels so it matches my jeep wheels. And 35' tires.
So here are my questions.

1. What size and gauge for the frame materials? 2x2? 2x3 etc?

2. What size and gauge for side supports and roof?

3. What gauge Skin for the trailer floor and sides?

4. If I'm planning on a 4x6 size trailer what size(Length) axle would I need and should I do brakes? I never know how to order an axle. Is there a standard sized for a 4x6 trailer. Just planning on straight axle. Not timberen or anything like that

5. I'll need spacers for the Jeep wheels since the Jeep Wheel hole is smaller than the trailer axle so would I do 2" spacers? Best place to order a spacer

6. For this if you that have had to drill into the Steel for your hitch pin etc for like a max coupler how did you drill your hole? We had a helluva time drilling with a drill bit and could never really find a bit that would drill into 1/4” Steel very good. So our holes looked horrible. Finding a drill bit that was big enough for the hitch pin wasn’t easy either so we ended up just using like a 1/2” bit and reaming it around. But I know there has to be an easier way.

I'm sure I'll have more questions but this should get me started on figuring out what I need. I'd appreciate and help or answers to questions above.

Just for reference only this is the style of box we are looking at making.

0eb6823f45d36cfaa31993492451652c.jpg

Last edited:

ExCabSwap

I think everything you're wanting to know is covered in redeth's build.. have you looked at that yet?
This will be our first off road trailer build of this type and looking for some advice on what to buy and how to do it. Hopefully we can get some answers and do it right the first time. The trailer will be box construction with a lid and a RTT eventually. Might go without the RTT until I can free up so funds but want to build the box so the RTT can be added seamlessly without having to refab the lid or anything.. Also we will be using the Stock Jeep 5 star wheels so it matches my jeep wheels. And 35' tires.

4. If I'm planning on a 4x6 size trailer what size(Length) axle would I need and should I do brakes? I never know how to order an axle. Is there a standard sized for a 4x6 trailer. Just planning on straight axle. Not timberen or anything like that

5. I'll need spacers for the Jeep wheels since the Jeep Wheel hole is smaller than the trailer axle so would I do 2" spacers? Best place to order a spacer

6. For this if you that have had to drill into the Steel for your hitch pin etc for like a max coupler how did you drill your hole? We had a helluva time drilling with a drill bit and could never really find a bit that would drill into 1/4” Steel very good. So our holes looked horrible. Finding a drill bit that was big enough for the hitch pin wasn’t easy either so we ended up just using like a 1/2” bit and reaming it around. But I know there has to be an easier way.

I'm sure I'll have more questions but this should get me started on figuring out what I need. I'd appreciate and help or answers to questions above.

mudraider

Adventurer

1. What size and gauge for the frame materials? 2x2? 2x3 etc? I'VE BEEN CONTEMPLATING THIS A LOT, SND DECICED THE CENTER PIECE WILL BE ABLE TO SLIP RECIEVERS IN IT, SO I CAN PUT A BIKE RACK, CLEVIS FOR PULLING ETC, ON IT. THE REST WILL BE 2" .125WALL

2. What size and gauge for side supports and roof? LISTENING FOR OTHERS RECOMMENDATIONS

3. What gauge Skin for the trailer floor and sides? LISTENING FOR OTHERS RECOMMENDATIONS

I'M DOING TIMBREN, PRICE IS COMPARABLE FOR THE RESULTS GIVEN

5. I'll need spacers for the Jeep wheels since the Jeep Wheel hole is smaller than the trailer axle so would I do 2" spacers? Best place to order a spacer. NO IDEA, BUT PLRNTY OF LINKD IN THE THREADS IVE SEEN

FOR THIS, I LIKE TO USE STEP BITS. AVAILABLE AT THE BIG BOX STORES, THEY MAKE CLEAN HOLES. JUST USE LOTS OF OIL TO KEEP THAT EDGE COOL.]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mccool

Observer
What kind of wrangler? Either way you need to be very cognizent of the weight. I learned from experience it's easy to make it heavy.

While redeth built a very nice trailer, I would wager that it's well over the tow capacity of a wrangler.

Edit: I made my frame out of 2.5" square tubing 1/8" thick. Tow bar is 2.5" 3/16". Skin is 14 gauge. Box uprights are 1" square 14 gauge. Box is 54" x 87" x 27" . I haven't weighed it yet, but i would not tow it with a tj, even a 4 door jk would be iffy. I'd consider hdpe for the sides, some one has a build thread here who used it, super light weight.

Last edited:

lacofdfireman

Adventurer
What kind of wrangler? Either way you need to be very cognizent of the weight. I learned from experience it's easy to make it heavy.

While redeth built a very nice trailer, I would wager that it's well over the tow capacity of a wrangler.

Edit: I made my frame out of 2.5" square tubing 1/8" thick. Tow bar is 2.5" 3/16". Skin is 14 gauge. Box uprights are 1" square 14 gauge. Box is 54" x 87" x 27" . I haven't weighed it yet, but i would not tow it with a tj, even a 4 door jk would be iffy. I'd consider hdpe for the sides, some one has a build thread here who used it, super light weight.

What is HDPE? I have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

Never seen Redeth’s build but I’ll sesrch for it and see if I can find it. Thanks for all the advice.

FosterWV

Baller On A Budget
I built the box of mine out of 3" angle and used 3/16" alum for walls, top etc. It's a light trailer but RTT, 4 Yaks, Bikes etc it gets heavy fast

Axle length check etrailer.com all info you need, plus leaf springs etc

If you have a '12+ Jeep the 4.10 gears and 3.6 will be perfect for towing but trailer brakes are nice again depending on final weight and where you plan on taking it.

Wheel spacer I'd recommend SpyderTrax 1.25" no need go any wider, assuming you are using factory wheels

Good luck w your build.

Mccool

Observer
What is HDPE? I have a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.

Never seen Redeth’s build but I’ll sesrch for it and see if I can find it. Thanks for all the advice.

High density polyethylene. Basically cutting board material I believe. I can't remember who now but someone on here built a really cool trailer using it for their sides.

M8A1MuleBuilder

All the measurements are there for the M8A1 Ammo Mule style trailer.
Use 1-1/2” x 3” rectangle tube to keep it light weight
1-1/2” square tube on the side wall verticals all 16 ga very strong in this configuration
I have many build videos, check them out on my ch
Under YouTube ch
Azman67

Attachments

• BA1A7730-3EEB-4EF9-B614-C38C81F9E408.jpeg
    BA1A7730-3EEB-4EF9-B614-C38C81F9E408.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 60
  • 8D0C7039-E5D0-48A3-803F-EF4777CE0963.jpeg
    8D0C7039-E5D0-48A3-803F-EF4777CE0963.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 58
  • D683E24C-6659-4625-9E5B-149983C2B292.jpeg
    D683E24C-6659-4625-9E5B-149983C2B292.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 57
  • A6B94B23-C95F-4C30-AD34-7F7006EF103A.jpeg
    A6B94B23-C95F-4C30-AD34-7F7006EF103A.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 60
  • 4C64D68D-7E79-4D3F-BAE4-B7BEF14ECECA.jpeg
    4C64D68D-7E79-4D3F-BAE4-B7BEF14ECECA.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Copasspupil

Observer
Fellow union brother,
Recommend that you hold off on the axle until you have finished the frame first before order it. I had to buy an additional axle after having it done and gave the measurements to the trailer shop by me. Buy a 3500 lb axle that fits a Jeep which is what I did and no need for spacers and pay for the electric brakes too. Well good luck. Lots of excellent builds here

MikeOfBonsall

I'm in the process of building a very heavy duty but small (3' x 7') off road army style Jeep trailer and I may post some footage later, but building trailers gets to be a lot more expensive that buying a used army one which would;d be easy to resell whereas homebuilt trailer go for very little. You can get army Jeep trailers for under a grand.

Mr. T

It may be to late to make a change but to access all your gear from the top is harder then from the back by swing door or tailgate. Also your RTT can mount just on top of you trailer (better for towing) and you don’t have to make a RTT support above an access lid but you could make supports for transporting kayaks or a canoe just above the folded up RTT. A more compact setup with less wind drag while towing. See my pictures for some ideas.

IMG_0654-L.jpg

IMG_0656-L.jpg

IMG_0673-L.jpg

built this one a few months ago, its 4' x 6' and 15" deep. within 3/4" of track width of jeep and loaded with 1000lbs of stuff didn't drop my highway MPG anything noticeable. i have/had ideas of putting a RTT directly onto the lid, but now I'm having more ideas of building a bigger trailer.

build thread here :

VILLAGEIDIOT'S Trailer build

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles