Looking for advice...buying a new to me Jeep

Ok, so im going to look at a couple of jeeps in the next few days, Ive got a 99 TJ at home so i am familiar with them, but Grand Cherokee's not as much.

The two Jeeps im considering at a 2000 grand cherokee wit a 4.0ltr.

and a 1994 Grand Cherokee with a 318, laredo fully loaded with Quadatrac, i like the look of the 94 better, but the 00' is newer.... milage is not an issue with either one, both well maintained( own by the same guy and i've sold him all the parts for both of them over the last2 years lol).

which is the better choice? i've owned stuff with the 318 before so i know its a decent engine. but the 4.0 im new too. anything i need to watch out for? known issues? and reccomendations on first mods?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
The 4.0 inline 6 is the engine to get. The 318 is nice because its a V8, but when it comes to durability and ease of maintenance, the 4.0 inline is unbeatable. It's basically a tractor motor. Lots of torque down low, bulletproof reliability, and TONS of Youtube support on how to fix or repair virtually anything on it.

thats good to know. but how well does the quadatrac system work? thats factory limited slip right? i know the 2000 doesnt have it but the 94 does, big difference in the two?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
great question and I'm fuzzy on the three or four variants. Here is a great site to help out with all things Jeep Grand Cherokee:
http://www.wjjeeps.com

There are also some Jeep youtube videos that might help:

malibubts

Adventurer
The Quadra Trac systems are fairly well known for having the Viscous Coupler in them going out. Try to drive tight figure 8s and if you have binding or skipping it's in indication of this being the case. That VC controlls power distribution and when they fail, essentially fail into 4HI. A lot of people end up swapping in the 242 TC (Selec Trac) or you could get it fixed.

I'll second the comments on the 4.0 being bullet proof. I'd go for the WJ personally. I'd also try to stick to a lower end model. The WJ can have the same issues with Quadra Trac and having the blend doors in the automatic AC fail. Usually those are items found on the higher trim level, but a Laredo with the 4.0 should be pretty solid. It'll leak oil though, since you have a TJ I would guess you wouldn't be surprised, but it's worth calling out.

thanks for the input on the VC, i didnt know they had issues, i'll be sure to test it out. and the 2000 4.0 grand cherokee is pretty basic from what i know and apparently just has open diffs,but i'll double check. no idea which transfer case yet. i know both jeeps have been very well maintained, and he has two other jeeps so he's a jeep dude lol.

I guess i'll just have to go over both closely and drive em both and see which one i like best, as they both have pros and cons. i do like the idea of factory front and rear limited slips, but the electrical issues ive heard of with the 318 are a worry now....hmmm this might be a tough call.

Cottontail

Easy Street on Mud Tires
I've had four Grand Cherokees....a 1994 with the 5.2 V8, a 1996 with the 4.0, a 2004 with the 4.0, and a 2013 with the whatever it has (3.7 maybe). Hands down, my favorite was the 96 with the 4.0. I love the engine and how simple and bulletproof it is (bought it in 1999 with 43,000 - still have it with over 255000). It is also the most comfortable of the 4 I've owned. The 94 was a close second and the 5.2 is FAST, but it just didn't quite compare to the 1996. The 2013 was my least favorite and the 2004 was fine...nothing exceptional, but nothing terribly troubling.

I rolled my XJ down a mountain earlier this year, so if I end up replacing it rather than rebuilding it - and I can't find an acceptable XJ to replace it with - I will be looking for a 96-98 ZJ with the 4.0, no question.

What are you going to use the Jeep for? Overlanding, trail riding, daily driver? My daily is a 2006 Commander with the Hemi. I like the Jeep, but not thrilled with the Hemi. First one blew up on me and both engines are only getting me 12 mpg.

Winter time daily driver, exploration vehicle and camp rig( tow a small trailer maybe), thats kinda what it will be used for. i think i'll have to just see which one i like driving more.

MOguy

Explorer
I had an 01 Grand with the select trac and the 4.0. It allows for 2wd, part time 4 (traditional 4wd) and full time 4 wheel drive (all wheel drive using a viscous coupler to help spread the power as needed). All positions have their purposes but like malibubts spoke of the Viscous Coupler has it problems. The full time 4wd the quadra trac systems use a Viscous Coupler. At about 100k miles or so on my Jeep the full time (all wheel drive) became worthless. My drive way is on a slight slope. In the winter when covered in snow/ice when I first had my 01 grand I could get up it, a few years later I couldn't. I could put it in part time 4 wheel drive and no issues.

I would never consider any vehicle that used a viscous coupler. If the V8's only option was the quadra whatever I NOT would consider it at all.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior