Looking for a "survival rifle"

adrenaline503

Explorer
So, I have never owned a gun, and until recently I haven't really had any interest. Anyway, I am looking for a rifle that I could use for hunting and for some light security in the backcountry. I also plan to pick up a tactical shotgun for home security, so that would be a secondary role.

I am quite taken by the kel-tec su-16b.

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/su16b.html

Does anyone have any experience with this model? I like that is light, collapses and uses a reasonable caliber round. I dont plan on hunting deer or anything that large; honestly, are you ever going to eat an entire deer before it goes bad? Anyway, any advice would be appreciated. Please don't turn this into "do you really need a gun in the back country" debate. Thanks.

Ridgewalker

Adventurer
My "truck gun" is an old Savage over and under....22 rimfire over 20 ga. The way I look at it is for survival I have a shotgun for flying birds which will also work as a slug gun or buck shot for larger game and a .22 rimfire for the smallest of game (rabbits, squirrels, amadillos, skunks, sitting birds, plinking, etc.)

A .223 will destroy any small animal unless you reload your own down to .22 levels.

Many years ago I read a book by Justice Marshall on a canoe trip he took down the Yukon River in AK. He was trying to chase a large black bear away from his landing spot with a .22. He hit the bear in the heart and it ran a few yards into the alders and died.

Not that you would want to shoot a bear with a .22, but a .22 is the epitome of a true survival weapon. The military has use a .22 over a .410 for years as a survival weapon in their planes.

Just one of millions of opinions. Location, game size/type, ammo costs, skill level, etc. all come into play.

Good luck and practice a LOT!:wings: Before you need it as a survival tool.:chowtime:

adrenaline503

Explorer
Thanks Ridgewalker, I have seen the .22 as a survival rifle and am considering it as an option. I would like to shoot a few different calibers since I dont have much experience.

Ridgewalker

Adventurer
The only real advantage of a .22 is it is cheap to learn how to shoot as well as cheap to keep honing your skills and it is very easy to carry lots of ammo.

Right now a .223 is expensive to get ammo for. I use to buy Cabela's generic soft points by the 1000. Today because of the ammo being needed in Iraq, everyone is out of the economy stuff. The same goes for 9 mm pistol ammo.

Like everything...practice, practice, practice makes it work and not the specific caliber.

Good luck on your decision!:arabia:

Ridgewalker

Adventurer
Now I have to buy commercial stuff which is rarely less than $8/box of 20 rounds or about $.40 per round. .22 ammo you can find in "bricks" of 500 rounds for $12-15/box or $.02-.03 per round. If you want a little more poop, the .22 magnum runs about $9 per box of 50 or $.18 per round.

Wolf makes a steel .223 cartridge (not very accurate) that you can find for $100 per 500 rounds or $.20 per round. I have never been happy with any of these I have shot, but it is cheap for .223 ammo and has a lot more poop than a .22 LR or .22 magnum.

You can find all this and more at cabelas.com

S

Scenic WonderRunner

What Kind of Hunting?

I do know from personal experience....that in Upstate New York......for hunting dear.....you can only use a High Powered Pistol or a Shotgun with "Slugs".

After seeing what a 12 gauge shotgun can do to an old hot water heater in a junk yard with a 12 gauge slug..........that would be my choice!

I would choose for a long gun for defence.............

A 12 gauge shotgun..........and I would load up every other round with Buckshot and Slugs.

What you might miss with the Slug.......you will slow down with the Buckshot!

(I don't think it would be legal to hunt Deer with a .223.....anybody know for sure?)

Model 870™ Shotguns. The Most Popular Shotgun in Firearms History......

......click around

870_exp_sm_combo[1].jpg

......Just my 2 Slugs............

Last edited by a moderator:

Explorer
I'm going to suggest that you pass on the kel-tec and opt for a high quality bolt action .22, used sks and single shot 12 gauge.

You could have all three for the price of the kel tec.

The .22 will teach precision shooting (kel-tec won't)

The SKS is a great defensive weapon. (for less than the kel-tec)

The single shot 12 gauge will be great for birds (kel-tec won't)

adrenaline503

Explorer
007 said:
I'm going to suggest that you pass on the kel-tec and opt for a high quality bolt action .22, used sks and single shot 12 gauge.

You could have all three for the price of the kel tec.

The .22 will teach precision shooting (kel-tec won't)

The SKS is a great defensive weapon. (for less than the kel-tec)

The single shot 12 gauge will be great for birds (kel-tec won't)

Which SKS model do you recommend?

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
IMO a semi-auto isn't a good example of an outdoor "survival" rifle. And, again IMO a .22 Long Rifle is not a survival rifle either. It lacks sufficient power for anything larger than a rabbit. Killing game should be done as humanly as possible. J&G Sales, located in Prescott, AZ. sells a number of what I consider to be great truck shotguns and rifles. They are cheap to purchase, are used police shotguns or military bolt action medium caliber guns that won't be a huge loss if stolen.

My choice for a survival weapon is a 12G. It's better suited to small game when using #4 or #2 shot, yet with slugs will deal with anything in North America. The used mossburg below would be perfect.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.../1702?osCsid=6cf975302fdcb4f226270b1329645f4d

The good old Mauser below would fit the bill quite well. It has reasonable accuracy, sufficient power with commercial 8MM loads to work on large game. It can also be practiced with a lot if desired using surplus ammo. There are also a lot of aftermarket parts available if you wish to sporterize it.

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.../1334?osCsid=6cf975302fdcb4f226270b1329645f4d

Mark

MaddBaggins

Explorer
A friend of mine has a cool little .22 survival rifle. It all breaks down and fits inside the synthetic stock. It weighs something like 2-3 pounds.
Otherwise, I have a lightweight .270 win that can take care of most anything in NA (if you place the shot right). I don't recall how much it weighs, but I can carry it all day long up and down mountains looking for deer. .270 is a little big for small game though.
A 12ga with various different shells and shots would be a nice choice.

I hunt javelina with a .357 revolver. I'm a good shot up to 50 yds with that. I have a 4" barrel on mine, if you had one with a 6" barrell it would be a good survival tool.

adrenaline503

Explorer
Scenic WonderRunner said:
What Kind of Hunting?

I do know from personal experience....that in Upstate New York......for hunting dear.....you can only use a High Powered Pistol or a Shotgun with "Slugs".

After seeing what a 12 gauge shotgun can do to an old hot water heater in a junk yard with a 12 gauge slug..........that would be my choice!

I would choose for a long gun for defence.............

A 12 gauge shotgun..........and I would load up every other round with Buckshot and Slugs.

What you might miss with the Slug.......you will slow down with the Buckshot!

(I don't think it would be legal to hunt Deer with a .223.....anybody know for sure?)

Model 870™ Shotguns. The Most Popular Shotgun in Firearms History......

......click around

870_exp_sm_combo[1].jpg

......Just my 2 Slugs............

I was looking at the 870 for the shotgun. I have fired these in the past, and it is by far the most solid firearm I have ever used. The Model 870™ Express® Synthetic 7-Round looks perfect for my needs.

Haggis

Appalachian Ridgerunner
Like crawler and SWR said, you can't go wrong with a good used 870. They will take a great amount of abuse and still will be as reliable as anything. Used guns can be had cheap. My personal truck gun is an 870 (12 ga, camo finish) I picked up for under $100 and it's been banging around the truck now for a long time. I carry a selection of rounds, 00 buck, BB, #2, #4 steel shot (for ducks), #6, & #8, in an ammo box tucked under the seat. Accessories can be had by the score; stocks, extended mags, barrels, sights, shell holders, whatever. Heck, a new one can be had, no frills for around $250.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94