JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:REOutArchery02: My survival rifle is my Ruger SS 10/22

My 24/7 is this Smith & Wesson

IMGP0644-2.jpg

:gunt: JIMBO

big sky trapper

Adventurer
wow a pretty good selection going among the members.

But my take on things has become a little differant as i get older

My personal ultimate survi weapon:
little50.jpg
[/IMG]
Its a .50 cal fire locked, rifled barrel, capable of loading traditional round balls as low as 175 grains or Mini balls up to 550 grain weight. Small shot up to buck shot.

I can make my own "bullets" over any campfire from just about anything. I can still legaly make for my own use up to 500 pounds of Black Powder per year with out any licencing ect.

I ve used just about everything from wasp nest to my shirt tails for packing and wadding.

This rifle has taken several deer, antelope, an elk, and to many ducks, grouse, pheasants, squirrels, gophers, beaver, coons ect to count in the last year. And one black angus cow of ours that had to be put down. And hopefully this winter a fair chase buffer!

A max loaded shot of 100 grains of Goex 3f and a patched round ball cost about 20 cents a shot with store bought componets As long as I do my part as the rifleman there's no animal on this continent i wouldnt go after with it

It dont need primers or caps, just a piece of flint or chert found all most every where for a sparker.

The muzzel report is extreamly quiet compared to any center fire, and no more recoil than a 5.56

And last of all at present no state or federal juristriction that im aware of considers it a "firearm". Although there are a few heathinistic places that it will be comming up shortly ....

Last edited:

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:REOutArchery02: Thats admirable Big Sky, sometimes we have to bring our old weapons around, to "BETTER" the newer technology

You might consider carrying this old boy, as a companion to your LONG STICK

:gunt: JIMBO

6Pins

Adventurer
Looks like I'm late to the party too, but my personal choice is 1957 Winchester 94 shortie that I was passed down to me when I was 14yrs old (I'm 40 now).

They stopped making them quite a while ago, but they should be easy to find.

Explorer
big sky trapper said:
wow a pretty good selection going among the members.

But my take on things has become a little differant as i get older

My personal ultimate survi weapon:
little50.jpg
[/IMG]
Its a .50 cal fire locked, rifled barrel, capable of loading traditional round balls as low as 175 grains or Mini balls up to 550 grain weight. Small shot up to buck shot.

I can make my own "bullets" over any campfire from just about anything. I can still legaly make for my own use up to 500 pounds of Black Powder per year with out any licencing ect.

I ve used just about everything from wasp nest to my shirt tails for packing and wadding.

This rifle has taken several deer, antelope, an elk, and to many ducks, grouse, pheasants, squirrels, gophers, beaver, coons ect to count in the last year. And one black angus cow of ours that had to be put down. And hopefully this winter a fair chase buffer!

A max loaded shot of 100 grains of Goex 3f and a patched round ball cost about 20 cents a shot with store bought componets As long as I do my part as the rifleman there's no animal on this continent i wouldnt go after with it

It dont need primers or caps, just a piece of flint or chert found all most every where for a sparker.

The muzzel report is extreamly quiet compared to any center fire, and no more recoil than a 5.56

And last of all at present no state or federal juristriction that im aware of considers it a "firearm". Although there are a few heathinistic places that it will be comming up shortly ....

I just realized how perfect and well tested a flintlock rifle really is! (thanks) Great survival gun, and think about the added safety! I'm dependent on primers. I need a flintlock!

I like your style.

RAB

I also have a savage .22 mag. over and 20 gauge lower, it works for about any thing you need to hunt.

I would suggest that you look in to a cheap little Ruger semi auto .22 rifle.
these seem to be a nice firearm, my uncle has one. its cheap to shoot very low recoil, so it is novice shooter friendly. easy to clean, and if you get a composite stock there is almost no maintenance.

or if you really need a survival rifle there is always the Henry survival rifle. its purpose is in the name! i never had one, my buddy did he liked it but they are a bit more expensive than a Ruger like by $20 or so. the Henry also breaks down. so it will be easier to transport in a loaded up expedition vehicle:ar15:

RocTrac

Adventurer
I would and am looking into a sidearm/carbine combo. I am still bouncing between the .357 .44 and .45 cal. All three are availble in a lever action carbine rifle and a easy to carry side arm. I guess it is time to check out the range and impact specs on each.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I've never been all that impressed with pistol cartridges out of a rifle or carbine. The weight of the long gun is pretty much the same regardless of caliber. The weight of spare ammo isn't much different. Why handicap yourself for the sake of only one type of ammo? It's not that I don't understand the appeal, I just am not willing to make that compromise. The closest that I'd personally come to buying such a critter is a lever gun in .38-55 or .375 Win.

EDIT: On the drive home from work I realized that common calibers might work OK if the area in question doesn't need or can't use mid-ish level rifle power (.30-30 etc.). I'm not sure what sort of area this might be, but I would imagine that they do exist.

Last edited:

RocTrac

Adventurer
I am thinking along the lines of a guide gun, short barrel for quick deployment. It may not be much on range but with good knock down power for in close, and of course one round for both weapons. I can't see shooting a rabbit or other small animal when they can be snared easily. Killing a large game animal is a waste since you can not carry it out with you and are not likely to stay long enough to eat it all. You also increase your chances for encounters with other preditors.

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
My preferred survival rifle is a H&R1871 Survivor Rifle/Shotgun in 45 Long Colt / .410 3" Shotgun Model Nickel-SB1-41N. Great single shot, takes handgun ammo or shotgun shells, plus has storage in the stock and foreend for ammo and small survival gear (fishing line and hooks, bandaids, wire snare, matches, candles, compass, spaceblanket, etc.)

I prefer the 410 3" with slugs for deer season, shoots like a rifle and less recoil over a 12 gauge, and use 3" #6 shot for bird and small game hunting. I've used the 45 Long Colts in place of a slug, much slower and very minimal recoil, good for rabbits with less noise over the 410 shells.

Also I carry 10 rounds of 410 in a shirt pocket, takes up the space of 3 12 gauge shells.

JIMBO

Expedition Leader
:eatchicke I've got these RUGERS and 10,000 rounds of .22 LF

RocTrac said:
I would and am looking into a sidearm/carbine combo. I am still bouncing between the .357 .44 and .45 cal. All three are availble in a lever action carbine rifle and a easy to carry side arm. I guess it is time to check out the range and impact specs on each.

I'm ready for THE STOCK MKT CRASH

:pROFSheriffHL: JIMBO

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
A little urban survival here:

04.jpg

Remington 870 - 12 gauge
Knoxx SpecOps recoil reducing stock (4 position adjustable)
Olight 220 lumen LED light
Magazine extension tube (6 + 1 capacity)
Hogue forearm

Last edited:

skysix

Adventurer

Wild West Guns "Co-Pilot" in .457 WWG Magnum / 3" .410 shot shells that can also use various light 45-70 loads for smaller game (but larger than birds/squirrels etc)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles