Looking for a Rock and Roll bed

carnut1969

I’m working hard on my 2003 E450 Red Cross ERV conversion and have begun to collect parts for the interior.

I think the best solution for my floor plan is a rock and roll seat/ bed. This way I can have the kids buckled in safely when driving and make a decent bed for overnight accommodations.

Issue is that in the US they are few and far between. Really think a lot of the couches that fold into beds are either ugly or not designed to be a passenger seat in a moving vehicle, or prohibitively expensive. I’ve searched and seen that people have removed sleepers out of conversion vans... I’d prefer a more modern looking solution.

Just looking for other suggestions... maybe a company I haven’t found?

Thank you!

plh

Explorer
I believe I have seen the hinges available on Amazon if you are looking to build a DIY solution.

plh

Explorer

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
I have one sitting in my container that I would sell but shipping would be a PITA. If you are interested I could strip the foam off and see how much it could be shrunk down. A sort of reverse IKEA

David Whiteman

You can buy tested RnR beds from these guys...

Used them last year and were much cheaper than their European competitors selling M1 beds, so i had much spare $$$ to spend on other parts of my conversion :)

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
As someone who went through a similar process a few years ago, I recommend one of two approaches:
1) Continuing your search and just spending the money to get a completed/engineered RnR system from someone. Pay the shipping if you must.
2) Find a van converter to build you just the bed system on a time/materials basis. GTRV was theoretically willing to do this for me a long time ago, but I have no idea on their current policy.
3) Finding a conversion van sleeper and have it re-foamed and reupholstered to modernize it to your taste - this will likely be cheaper too

I took option (4) and built my own from scratch using reproduction Westy hinges from BusDepot, but I do not recommend this option. If safety is your goal (as it was for me), the time and engineering to build a bed system from steel (rather than plywood, as with the original Westfalias) adds up fast. In retrospect, the prices asked by 3rd party Rock-n-Roll bed builders are easily justified.

Here are the blog entries on my build, if you're curious: https://chooseadventures.blogspot.com/search/label/Rock-n-Roll

Reactions: plh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles