Looking for a particular hat

rnArmy

Adventurer
This'll be a short thread. My computer took a major dump a while back. Was able to save all my data, but I lost all the links (Favorites) I had been saving over the years (tons of links lost - it was a sad day).

Anyways... there's a fabric hat out there I'm looking for (I lost the link obviously). My wife called it the "old man's hat"; I thought they were styling. They looks kinda like a baseball cap (I think more flat on top vs. rounded), but it has ear flaps that fold down and I believe cover the back of the neck too(?) when folded down. When not folded down, the are folded up and tie in the front of the hat above the bill. I think some if not all of them are insulated, they had quite a few color options, and I think (?) the history of the company was that it was started by a family (might still be family owned?) and with something to do with the railroad originally? And they weren't cheap. If someone knows what I'm talking about and could post the link that would be great. I'll know it when I see it.

They're not the big bushy fur lined trapper kind-of hats.

Thanks. And is 58 yrs old considered "old"?

Last edited:

Correus

Adventurer
You mean the "Stormy Kromer" cap? The flaps are narrower that the traditional Elmer Fudd, which ties in the top. Some also call it the "Rancher" cap or "Wildfowl" cap.

Then of course you have the Star Wars Imperial Officer cap.

rnArmy

Adventurer
Yup; it is the Stormy Kromer. As soon as I clicked on their website (thanks Correus!) I knew it was the one I remembered.

And my wife (who's younger than me) has referred to me as "Elmer Fudd" before. More than once now that I think about it.

Normally I'm wearing a baseball-type hat with 180-brand earmuffs when it is cold out, but I've been thinking about these other (Stormy Kromer) caps - just couldn't remember their name.

Thanks everyone who responded to my request - that was quick. Now to figure out what color I want (so many choices). I'll be stylin' here soon.

Last edited:

rnArmy

Adventurer
1538968336998.png Elmer Fudd's actually a pretty handsome kind-of-guy! I'd take being compared to him as a compliment. He kinda has that rugged outdoorsy look.

Last edited:

Correus

Adventurer
I tend to wear a Korean War US Army M-1951 Pile Field Cap during the winter.

When I'm out and about and want to wear something spiffy in the non-winter months I reach for my vintage, Australian issued, Akubra slouch - without the sunburst. I don't pin it up either.

67cj5

Man On a Mission
I tend to wear a Korean War US Army M-1951 Pile Field Cap during the winter.

When I'm out and about and want to wear something spiffy in the non-winter months I reach for my vintage, Australian issued, Akubra slouch - without the sunburst. I don't pin it up either.
Best hats in the world, I have an Akubra as well.

Attachments

• akubra-thecroc.jpg
    akubra-thecroc.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 24

Correus

Adventurer
Very Cool.
You can still buy Your hat from their website or most shops and I know one company that will even export them to you if you are not in Aus. They always keep me up to date with their hot Deals.

Yup, they are still available to get them through a few places here in the States, such as David Morgan. Yet you can't get original military puggarees through them, they only have the civilian one. For military ones you either need to go through a surplus dealer or private collector. I got mine from a private collector; it's an unissued one dated 1965 and made in the original factory. It has a 7 bander puggaree. It did come with the military insignia, but out of respect I removed them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior