Looking for a non made in china snatch block, Any recommendations?

alia176

Explorer
I don't have much to contribute to this thread except the name "snatch block" when it really should be "pulley block". Curious, where the snatch word got associated with a recovery operation that involves no snatching what so ever. :unsure: .

My teenage daughter giggles every time she sees the assortment of pulley blocks I have hanging in the garage, for tractor/backhoe operation. :rolleyes:. I have one of them older Warn or maybe it's from Supewinch, I can't recall but it's been living in the back of the 80 for the last 17 years. Probably used it less than five times and yeah, it weighs few pounds but I'm still using the 22 year old Warn steel cable that came with the M10,000 winch. Meh, it's all good as long as you go home at the end of the day w/o damaging yourself or your rig.

billiebob

The reason "Made in the USA" is hard to find is because we are not willing to pay the difference.

AEV used to make all their wheels in the USA, finally, maybe 10 years ago they went off shore because we were not willing to pay the "Made in the USA" premium and support local industry. Completely understandable on both AEVs part and our part as consumers. Flat out anything made where the labour cost is 10% of our labour cost should be slapped with a 90% import tariff.

Last edited:

ramblinChet

Interesting, here is what I found:

At AEV, we remain committed to American manufacturing, and we would much rather have our wheels manufactured in the US. But right now, you can’t get wheels made in the USA at aftermarket volumes. Still to this day, the only cast wheel plants left in the US are for high volume OE wheel programs. So unfortunately, buying from China is a necessary evil of being in the aftermarket cast wheel business. We have made the effort to buy from a high quality Chinese plant. Our plant also produces OE wheels for Volkswagen, Audi, BMW and Harley Davidson, among others. Our supplier has American employees on the ground in China who oversee our programs for us, and we have been over to China to inspect and visit the plant in person. When lower volume wheel manufacturing becomes feasible again in the US, we will be first in line.

Metcalf

Expedition Leader
I don't have much to contribute to this thread except the name "snatch block" when it really should be "pulley block". Curious, where the snatch word got associated with a recovery operation that involves no snatching what so ever. :unsure: .

My teenage daughter giggles every time she sees the assortment of pulley blocks I have hanging in the garage, for tractor/backhoe operation. :rolleyes:. I have one of them older Warn or maybe it's from Supewinch, I can't recall but it's been living in the back of the 80 for the last 17 years. Probably used it less than five times and yeah, it weighs few pounds but I'm still using the 22 year old Warn steel cable that came with the M10,000 winch. Meh, it's all good as long as you go home at the end of the day w/o damaging yourself or your rig.

snatch block (plural snatch blocks)
  1. (nautical) A kind of block with an opening in one side to receive the bight of a rope.
From a 1913 Websters Dictionary

Manual_of_military_engineering_(1905)_(14759602516).jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94