Looking For a New 1/2Ton

My current travel vehicle is starting to get tired so im looking at new options. Im not in a huge rush, but i am looking. Hoping to snag a good deal on an outgoing model F150 or Tundra perhaps.

My current ride is a 2012 F150 Ecoboost crewcab with 115,000 miles;
-Bilstein 6112/5160 and an Add a leaf (which has been absolutely fantastic)
-General Grabber ATX 275/70r18 on factory wheels
-Decked Drawer system (Meh, not sure ill buy another one)
-ARE topper (Meh, hasnt held up great)
The truck has been pretty good for what we do; which is alot of running around with our 2 kids and 100lb dog, and 6 weeks or so traveling per year. Of the 115,000 miles on our truck, approx 20,000 are towing and offroad. We arent rock crawlers or super technical trail inclined (though i did use my factory f150 side step as a pivot point once), but we definitely enjoy blasting down forest roads and moderate trails to get us away from the crowds.

The current options im considering are the Tundra, Ram Rebel, and F150. The things that matter to me are reliability, fuel range, and payload. I like to work on my own vehicle, and so far have been able to do all of the repairs and maintenance on my current truck (thanks Youtube). Because i like to work on my truck i think i want my next truck to be a simple v8 (meaning a 5.0L if i get a Ford). Im definitely not saying we havent enjoyed our first gen Ecoboost because its has done everything we have asked it to. It has been great unloaded, and i actually used to get 19.5mpg when the truck was unmodified. However adding all the weight of overland we now average 13...on a good day... going down hill... with a tail wind. Im hoping a good ole simple V8 will return comparable mileage loaded, be a little easier to work on, and perhaps have a little longer longevity?

Payload capacity has been a tricky for us in our current F150. With our current setup we use 84% of our trucks payload when we travel. We discussed going up to a 3/4 ton, but man are those trucks big and cumbersome. I dont think im ready to take that plunge yet, especially since our vehicle will simply be a passenger vehicle much of the time. Our build process for this upcoming truck will be thoughtful of weight and our actual needs (not my fantasy Expedition Overland needs haha). I plan to do suspension similar to what i have, go with an RLD or RSI topper/cap (or similar?), some sort of rooftop tent, a fridge of some kind, and perhaps some skid plates or winch if there is room in the budget.

Pros and cons list ive thought of so far:

Tundra Pros: Reliable, crazy aftermarket support, pretty easy to work on and service im told, 38 gallon fuel tank
Tundra Cons: Pricey for the basic options you get, thirsty, old...

Rebel Pros: alot of bang for the buck (leather etc), interior is super nice, rear locker, 5.7Hemi seems to be a decent motor
Rebel Cons: its tough for me to trust FCA after test driving a super sketchy brand new Gladiator last year, thirsty, 26 gallon tank, unproven?

F150 5.0L Pros: Aluminum!, 5.0L v8 seems decent, Im familiar with the platform, rear locker, 36 gallon tank
F150 5.0L Cons: thirsty, blows my mind that the XLT has heated seats but some of the worst halogen headlights ever,

I know i need to test drive all three, just wondering if anyone had any insights or fact based preferences i should consider?
Thanks for reading.

whododat

I can tell you firsthand about Ram products. I had a 19 Ram 1500 Big Horn 4WD and it was one of the worst vehicles we have ever owned, reliability wise. It was however, the most comfortable vehicle to travel in and got decent mileage but the lack of reliability did it for us and I got rid of it quick. I was still getting alerts for it after I sold it, which were the "stop driving vehicle and take it to the dealer" warnings. Our 2015 1500 Tradesman never had an issue which was probably due to having less electronic gadgets. I guess it is luck of the draw.

D

Deleted member 9101

I'm a huge fan of the 2.7 in the F150. Better mpg than the 5.0 and it has a ton of low end grunt that the 5.0 lacks. It doesn't have the problems that some 3.5s and 5.0s have and it has indestructible innards. The 10 speed will help out with the mpg while you are loaded. You can also get a "payload package" with the 2.7 that increases the payload and towing rating. It also adds the 9.75" rear end and 3.73 gears.

The Tundra is nice.... The only problem I have with them is you pay a 3/4 ton price, get a 3/4 ton ride, 3/4 ton handling, 3/4 ton fuel economy and have none of the payload or towing capacity of a 3/4 ton.

Honestly, if you are going to drive around with a bunch of "Expo swagg" on your truck all the time, there is a good chance a 3/4 ton gasser will get the same mpg.

D

Deleted member 9101

Also...the 5.0 is nowhere close to being a "simple V8." It is every bit as complexed as either EcoBoost and doesn't offer anywhere near the same performance.

While its a good motor, its a dog when compared to either EcoBoost when it comes to moving weight.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
I'd think the two I'd be between are the Toyota for reliability and the Ram for comfort. But, I'd probably end up buying the F150, haha.

Which is what I did. Went with the 5.0L as well with 3:73 gears. Probably going to replace this truck in a couple years so I'll be facing the same dilemma all over again.

Agree with Jnich though. The 5.0L makes it's power high up. While towing a 23' travel trailer I find I'm in the 3,000 (ish) RPM or higher zone a lot. On relatively flat roads....

For that reason, if I replace this truck with another F150, I'd likely go EcoBoost. I don't think there are any longevity benefits of the 5.0L. It's all a crap shoot.

Drive all 3 and see what you like.

phsycle

Adventurer
The Tundra is nice.... The only problem I have with them is you pay a 3/4 ton price, get a 3/4 ton ride, 3/4 ton handling, 3/4 ton fuel economy and have none of the payload or towing capacity of a 3/4 ton.

Bro, it doesn’t even have the payload of a 1/2 ton! I’m assuming @nwoodworth1390 will be getting a Crewmax. No Crewmax I have ever seen has been over 1,300 lbs. Average has been 1,100 or so. That’s less than a Gladiator/Ranger. ?

Given your history, circumstance, etc. I’m not sure why you’d look at anything other than an F150. You are already familiar with it. Your last one has treated you well. The latest ones only improve on what you currently have. If I were buying one now, I’d be pretty tempted by the F150 Tremor option. Ready to go straight out of the box.

This may seem silly, but one thing I really love about the Tundra is the roll down rear window. Such a cool feature. Couple that with a pano sunroof: my kids would be in heaven. Wish all auto makers would adopt this.

D

Deleted member 9101

This may seem silly, but one thing I really love about the Tundra is the roll down rear window. Such a cool feature. Couple that with a pano sunroof: my kids would be in heaven. Wish all auto makers would adopt this.

Well...Ford does the huge glass panel roof.... Only problem is it's known for leaks and the plastic guides wear out quickly.

The roll down rear window is really cool though. Only down side is you can't have anything in your bed when you open it... It will all end up in the cab...haha.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Bro, it doesn’t even have the payload of a 1/2 ton! I’m assuming @nwoodworth1390 will be getting a Crewmax. No Crewmax I have ever seen has been over 1,300 lbs. Average has been 1,100 or so. That’s less than a Gladiator/Ranger. ?

Given your history, circumstance, etc. I’m not sure why you’d look at anything other than an F150. You are already familiar with it. Your last one has treated you well. The latest ones only improve on what you currently have. If I were buying one now, I’d be pretty tempted by the F150 Tremor option. Ready to go straight out of the box.

Well...Ford does the huge glass panel roof.... Only problem is it's known for leaks and the plastic guides wear out quickly.

Agreed. I'll always skip the sunroof if possible.

I do like the Tundra's roll down window. But, Jnich is right in his statement. I found that out when I drove an Avalanche with the back window removed. That trip required a lot of vacuuming afterward.

Seems like the F150 Tremor and the Rebel would be a good comparison.

jadmt

ignore button user
I test drove a new 2020 Tundra that was decked out. the first few minutes in it I was like dang this is super nice I just might make an offer..By the time I was done with the test drive I was sleeping..when I got back the salesman asked what we thought and I said nice but no pizazz...we then went and test drove a new Chevy boss basic work model and it felt like it had more pizazz than the loaded Tundra.

D

Deleted member 9101

I test drove a new 2020 Tundra that was decked out. the first few minutes in it I was like dang this is super nice I just might make an offer..By the time I was done with the test drive I was sleeping..when I got back the salesman asked what we thought and I said nice but no pizazz...we then went and test drove a new Chevy boss basic work model and it felt like it had more pizazz than the loaded Tundra.

I had a 2015 for about 6 months... So it's pretty much a 2020....haha.

Honestly, there is nothing about the Tundra that makes it stand out. It truly does nothing better than the competition. They are a good truck, but they don't do anything well enough to make the increased purchase price, higher insurance premiums, and higher fuel bill worth it to me.

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
They are a good truck, but they don't do anything well enough to make the increased purchase price, higher insurance premiums, and higher fuel bill worth it to me.
While I agree with this, they do hold their value pretty well. So, you do recoup some of the money that way.

Around here, I find they are comparably priced to Ram and Ford. In fact I would say Ram's are usually priced higher around here.

Capture1.PNG
Capture2.PNG
Capture3.PNG

phsycle

Adventurer
I try to avoid sunroofs but they are pretty nice. Makes the cabin feel even bigger (riding in my friend’s f150). Roll down rear, it’d feel like a drop top!

New Chevy’s have been growing on me as well. Never cared for that G locker, but honestly, I’d probably not even notice for the places I go. 4wd/lo range is all I’d probably need.

D

Deleted member 9101

While I agree with this, they do hold their value pretty well. So, you do recoup some of the money that way.

Around here, I find they are comparably priced to Ram and Ford. In fact I would say Ram's are usually priced higher around here.

View attachment 636755
View attachment 636756
View attachment 636757

While very true... That won't offset the extra cost of fuel if you own the truck for any length of time.

Even with deeper gears, taller tires, 2" level, and no front air dam my F150 gets better mpg at 80 than my Tundra did at 70...lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior