looking for a little input

BCJC

Adventurer
hi guys, well i currently own an 04 gmc canyon 4x4. it has a factory electronic rear locker, and shackles/tb crank to fit 33" bfg at's, aftermarket skids and shocks, and 4.11 gearing. a good truck no doubt. but the thing is i have always wanted an 01-04 model tacoma trd, but they were way too expensive when i bought in late 03. however, now that the new taco's are out, it seems like there are alot more 01-04's out on the market. my canyon is paid off, and i'm thinking of trading it in for a taco. the problem is of course money. i'd probably end up taking a $5k (CDN) hit on a trade for a low mileage (70-100k km) 01-04 taco trd. and of course then i would have to buy tires, skids, shocks etc. down the road. i'd really appreciate any input, and please try to be as objective and unbiased as possible. should i just put that money into my canyon, or in the long run am i gonna look back and be glad i switched? thanks.

jealous in canada

3 DOGS

Observer
If you can find a reasonable trade do it. The reliability of the Taco will far exceed the GMC. I was always a Chevy guy then I bought my first Toyota - with 125,000 miles yes 125,000 on the odometer (traded a tired and gas guzzzling Suburban). I traded the Toyota in at 175,000 miles for a new Taco. I shorted myself and got the XCab and 4 banger - great truck - no room and not enough umph for me. Then through some judgement errors I bought other trucks and finally just got back into an 03 DC TACO 4X4 TRD V-6 - LOVE IT!!. It may not be as "plush" inside as your GMC but it'll run forever and my gas milege is 20+ on the highway.
Look around for the Taco you want. I just saw 1 here in Nebraska - Bellevue Toyota for 22,995 - an 03 DC TRD 4X4 V- 6 with 30,000.
I don't think you'll be disappointed in the switch. If you want a more "plush" interior then go for the 05 and newer Taco. A friend of mine has one - very nice inside.
Good luck.

BCJC

Adventurer
thanks for the reply. actually, my gmc's interior is quite bland, and just the way i like a truck interior to be. the pro's/con's of my truck vs. a taco are as follows:

taco:
better locker
better clearance
better reliability
better aftermarket

canyon:
much cheaper
better power:mpg ratio

i mean from that example it seems obvious, but it is quite alot of money difference. what mpg are some of you taco owners getting, currently i get 21 mpg avg. mixed driving. i'm not interested in a 05+ taco, just not for me, but any advice/warning/what to look for in a taco would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
BCJC said:
thanks for the reply. actually, my gmc's interior is quite bland, and just the way i like a truck interior to be. the pro's/con's of my truck vs. a taco are as follows:

taco:
better locker
better clearance
better reliability
better aftermarket

canyon:
much cheaper
better power:mpg ratio

i mean from that example it seems obvious, but it is quite alot of money difference. what mpg are some of you taco owners getting, currently i get 21 mpg avg. mixed driving. i'm not interested in a 05+ taco, just not for me, but any advice/warning/what to look for in a taco would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

I get about 16~18 MPG.

For advice, it's a toyota, your pretty well off. Just watch for the peps that slap a TRD sticker on it and say it is a TRD and charge more. All except for Colorado, if it has a locker it is a TRD. (some reason CO got a batch of non TRD's with lockers)

Some issues would be dash rattle, and axle wrap to watch out for. You can check TTORA for adds and might be able to come up with a good seller up there.

bigreen505

Expedition Leader
Without trying to disuade you from the Toyota if the Chevy is reliable, paid for and fits your needs, there is no great reason to part with it unless you really just want a Toyota. If it is none of the abive, then go ahead and jump.

Scott Brady

Founder
bigreen505 said:
Without trying to disuade you from the Toyota if the Chevy is reliable, paid for and fits your needs, there is no great reason to part with it unless you really just want a Toyota.

Yep, my opinion too.

I owned a little Chevy truck many years ago as a DD. It was rock solid reliable and got great gas mileage.

If you have no payment right now, be very thankful and spend the extra money you have on fuel to explore the outdoors. IMHO. :)

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
flyingwil said:
For advice, it's a toyota, your pretty well off. Just watch for the peps that slap a TRD sticker on it and say it is a TRD and charge more. All except for Colorado, if it has a locker it is a TRD. (some reason CO got a batch of non TRD's with lockers)
Early in the Tacoma history it was possible to get the locker as an option seperately from the TRD package. I know this was possible in '96 for sure (a friend has such a truck), maybe later. If pressed, I'd think up to around '99 or '00 this was still possible, but I have no books that state a precise cut-off or anything. But, I did have a 1999 Tacoma sale brochure that listed the locker as an option. I think the only reason they turn up here is simply that there are a boat load of Taco here period, so you are probably just more likely to find the odd configurations.

BTW, I'd keep the paid off truck until it becomes unreliable. But then again, there's also the thought that selling it while it still has some value makes sense. Anyway, my path has been to keep a truck until it's well into it's life and use the money on fun things to fill the bed of the truck.

Bergger

Explorer
I used to have a chevy, long time ago, and it was a decent truck. However I bought my first Tacoma in 1995, single cab 4x4, and have never looked back. In 03' I traded it in for a double cab and plan on keeping it for a long, long time. If you really want a Tacoma go for it but be patient. Your current truck is paid off so you are in no hurry. Just bank what your old payment was every month and wait until you find a really good deal on a used Tacoma. Then buy it and use the money you saved either to pay the difference or better yet to use as mods for the Toyota. :victory:

BCJC

Adventurer
thanks for all the honest replies. you know, it is a good reliable truck so far, i guess the honeymoon is over and i find myself checking out the hot blonde (taco) everytime i see her, and wondering what if...?:drool: from what i've seen, there is no way to "switch" without taking a substantial hit financially, and now that it's paid off, i don't feel like jumping back into more debt. i'll keep my eyes open, and you never know. thanks again and if anyone else has more/other suggestions, i'm all ears. oh, and please be kind and pull my poor chev out if you happen to be driving by!;)

datrupr

Expedition Leader
bigreen505 said:
Without trying to disuade you from the Toyota if the Chevy is reliable, paid for and fits your needs, there is no great reason to part with it unless you really just want a Toyota. If it is none of the abive, then go ahead and jump.

:iagree:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier