Looking for a good FJ-80 91-93

fowldarr

Explorer
There are a couple on Denver Craigslist that are in your price and year range....one of them looks pretty stock, the other already lifted, but used.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Is there a common issue of LC's having an 02 problem? I have called on two and they both said that when it was wet outside the CHECK ENGINE light would come on but went away when it dried again. Od two folks would say the same thing.
Thoughts?

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Yep, super common. As a matter of fact.. we just received a code 28 AGAIN for 02 sensors. 80's eat them. There was even a recall 02 campaign for 1993-1994's way back when. To this day, if that model year has not been in for the service.. *(you can check with the dealer with your VIN) , you can go into the dealer and have it all taken care of by the dealer for free.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Oh Boy!

I have found a white (!) '94 with 184K on the clock and LOCKERS for $4500 asking! If I can get my ducks in a row, then I will take a look at it this weekend!

Is there a FAQ for buying one of these?

Cheers!
:elkgrin:

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Well ???

Here is a '94 I found - haven't seen it in the flesh yet - that comes Saturday or Sunday. Interior is 'used' but looks livable esp. with some sheep skins on the front seats. It has lockers(!) and 184K on the clock. One curiosity is the steering column. The seller said it was cracked badly and he just removed it without replacing it obviously, but do any of you know why this would be? Is the plastic brittle? Something to look for? CarFax is good, so I do not suspect a theft. Anywho - here is a serious contender for $4500 asking...

DSCI1796.jpg

DSCI1797.jpg

DSCI1801.jpg

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Looks good. The leather looks like normal abuse from years of wear and tear. Don't know how the column cracked... ours is in good shape with 208k on it.. but i don't armor all my plastic :D

a.mus.ed

Explorer
The plastic doesn't seem the type to crack without some persuading. Not a lot of sun hits there, either. I'm thinking it was stolen at one time, or at least someone tried to steal it.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
The plastic doesn't seem the type to crack without some persuading. Not a lot of sun hits there, either. I'm thinking it was stolen at one time, or at least someone tried to steal it.

Would a thief need to brake that with the ignition off to the side? Wouldn't the ignition key cylinder also unlock the steering?

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
I'd just make sure all the electrical stuff in that area works well. If it works, I wouldn't stress about it. Get the price for the replacement parts and get that knocked off the price at a minimum.

There is a really good condition one in the For Sale section... about twice the cost but it looks sweet.

Wombat

Observer

When I bought my 80 (through a member here) he had removed the plastic shroud around the steering column because it had started to make an annoying squeak on the bumpy roads/trails in Baja where he spent a lot of time.

Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles