Looking for a good FJ-80 91-93

a.mus.ed

Explorer
An LX450 is the same rig - came with a little softer rate springs/shocks. There are lots of fans of the LX450's because they were often sold with maintenance packages and to an older population, meaning they were more often babied.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I'm not sure those of you who are saying '91-'92 have ever driven a FJ80 with even a slightly larger tire and particularly at altitude = unbearable dog... Literally painful to drive... The only way I'd buy a '91-92 would be to convert it to something, and in that case I might actually seek one out and swap the axles with later. (by the way I have a locked set of 80 series axles and an engine/trans/t case with 175K for sale if anyone is intersted :) )

Head gasket job really isn't too tough for the record, just takes some time and maybe $500. If you can do one and spruce up your top end (ie take the head to the machine shop) then you can probably easily get 300K out of one. I have driven a diesel 80 series ('91 that was converted) with ... 420K miles on it. And the best part, new upholstery, etc. It seriously felt like it had 150K miles on it maybe, solid as a rock. It belonged to a traveling salesman who had the entire west coast as his territory.

Hope it helps...

Also contrary to popular belief the part time 4WD kits on FZJ-80s goes a long way as well, noticeable power increase and a couple miles per gallon, almost no loss of performance. Something to keep in mind as well. Even the FZJ80s are a little low on power at least with their stock axle gearing and slightly larger tires.

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Well...

OK - I learn as I go - and it seems that 93+ might prove to be the better rig, even though it is more money. The four wheel disc brakes and floating axles are strong points - and I found this '96 rig with front and rear lockers for $8K:
Screenshot2009-10-25at100125AM.png

Thoughts?
:smiley_drive:

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
Good decision... the rear axle is worth the premium imo.

I've seen "built" FZJ80s in the used section of ih8mud for less than $8k. If I were you I'd look there and be patient until the correct truck that was local enough to check out appeared - particularly if you are really budget conscious.

IIRC, '95 ('96?) was the first year of the revised dash with the passenger side air bag. I'd go that route if I was buying for myself. I'd try to find a LX450 for the reasons already stated: over-priced when new at the dealer and driven by grey hairs with thick wallets and total factory maintenance regimen. Should be able to easily find an unmolested example for ~$5-6k I'd think.

Regardless, make sure you find one with factory lockers...

bjowett

Adventurer
FZJ80 forsale

Hello Schattenjager,

I'm selling my 93 FZJ80 Project. Have a look at the link below for the major info, search around ih8mud.com a bit for more info on the truck if it interests you (user name bjowett). It needs some things completed, but I'll work with you on the price depending on what goes with it.... as I'd like it gone. You don't want to know what I have into it....

It looks like this, has some dents, rockers pushed a little from hopping some logs, A little TLC would have it looking excellent.

P1010179_0.JPG

http://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/52322-fzj80-taco-6-speed-orion.html

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Checking it out now. Thanks for the heads up!

Hello Schattenjager,

I'm selling my 93 FZJ80 Project. Have a look at the link below for the major info, search around ih8mud.com a bit for more info on the truck if it interests you (user name bjowett). It needs some things completed, but I'll work with you on the price depending on what goes with it.... as I'd like it gone. You don't want to know what I have into it....

It looks like this, has some dents, rockers pushed a little from hopping some logs, A little TLC would have it looking excellent.

P1010179_0.JPG

http://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/52322-fzj80-taco-6-speed-orion.html

Schattenjager

Expedition Leader
Dang - found this one - price ($5K) is good but the details seem iffy - they HAVE been driving it for years like this:

Screenshot2009-10-25at41356PM.png

blupaddler

Conspirator
Don't get caught up in what everyone says that you can find them for this price or that price.

Find a good either, bare bones, or built model. If the owner has taken good care and has records, then buy it. It seems everyone "thinks" they can find an 80 with lockers for $3000-4000. Take Brian D. sig line, "price is soon forgotten, quality is not."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke