Looking for a G-Wagen

Mercfan

I'm trying to find a capable expedition 4x4. My search for a good value in Land Cruisers isn't panning out so I thought I would try my luck in a G-Wagen world (ha!). If you know of one for sale that's a good value plz send my way for consideration.

Would prefer LWB and a diesel engine but I know diesels are rare. Rust free. Budget around $11K. PM or send an e-mail - Thx :victory:

Last edited:

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Found this one on eBay - auction completed but reserve was not met so it didn't sell:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merc...573QQitemZ200585143667QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

What's this one worth as-is (Check engine light on) but only 31K miles. I contacted the seller directly to see what they want for it.

NADA or KBB only showed 2002 G-class SUVs and this one is from 1999 - is this a grey-market truck or something?

Thx,
James

It's one that was imported by Europa International in Santa Fe, NM - as evidenced by the "WDBEG...." VIN. MBUSA did not start importing the G until the 2002 year model.

Many folks, myself included, feel these less electronified early G500's are superior to the 2002+ models.

Mercfan

It's one that was imported by Europa International in Santa Fe, NM - as evidenced by the "WDBEG...." VIN. MBUSA did not start importing the G until the 2002 year model.

Many folks, myself included, feel these less electronified early G500's are superior to the 2002+ models.

Any idea what this vehicle is worth - the seller states $35K!!! but if it didn't sell for $8K then why would it sell for $35K? :)

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
i hope im not prying when i ask whats your price point? there are no "value" g's. you may locate a G thats a better deal than any other G, but that doesnt make it a value in comparison.

i ask because i have both and have had both on trails. i.e. i dont suffer brand myopia. feel free to ask specific questions if youd like me compare both.

i could locate plenty of excellent 100's for 15,000. youll be fixing a 15,000 dollar g, with parts that really ARE twice what toyota charges.

edit: if you actually find a g thats a value compared to a landcruiser, and youre on a tight budget.... flip the G and buy a value landcruiser. :)

Last edited:

Mercfan

i hope im not prying when i ask whats your price point? there are no "value" g's. you may locate a G thats a better deal than any other G, but that doesnt make it a value in comparison.

i ask because i have both and have had both on trails. i.e. i dont suffer brand myopia. feel free to ask specific questions if youd like me compare both.

i could locate plenty of excellent 100's for 15,000. youll be fixing a 15,000 dollar g, with parts that really ARE twice what toyota charges.

edit: if you actually find a g thats a value compared to a landcruiser, and youre on a tight budget.... flip the G and buy a value landcruiser. :)

Hi Zimm -

Please fill me in with a basic comparison between the two. I still like Landcruisers and am eying one on the West coast as we speak but havn't made an offer yet. This G came along unexpectedly and I see that it didn't sell for $8K so I was hoping to steal it for maybe $10-12K though I think that's probably naive. From your note it seems that the parts and the upkeep on the G-s is very expensive. Please educate. Also, it seems this one was imported directly from Germany - would I have problem sourcing parts on this side of the ocean?!

Thanks in advance -
James

zimm

Expedition Leader
Found this one on eBay - auction completed but reserve was not met so it didn't sell:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merc...573QQitemZ200585143667QQptZUSQ5fCarsQ5fTrucks

What's this one worth as-is (Check engine light on) but only 31K miles. I contacted the seller directly to see what they want for it.

NADA or KBB only showed 2002 G-class SUVs and this one is from 1999 - is this a grey-market truck or something?

Thx,
James

its always fascinated me how the mileage disappears from state records.

in my opinion theres a little too much fawning over the gray market pre MBUSA rigs.

the mileage kinda makes that truck outside the bell curve, so, price is like hitting a curve. i bet someone out there would pay more than 30 for a pre 2002 with those miles. unfortunately, that documentation sucks. in my experience, auto check has been better than carfax, but id run both. thats HUUUUUGE gap.

also, hawaii is more like southern florida than souther california, for salt air. id wanna check that with a paint meter.

Mercfan

Zimm -

Give it to me straight... what do you think is a good price range is for this vehicle in round numbers?! Are we talking $10K, $20K, or $30K? My interest drops off sharply after $10K...

James

zimm

Expedition Leader
Hi Zimm -

Please fill me in with a basic comparison between the two. I still like Landcruisers and am eying one on the West coast as we speak but havn't made an offer yet. This G came along unexpectedly and I see that it didn't sell for $8K so I was hoping to steal it for maybe $10-12K though I think that's probably naive. From your note it seems that the parts and the upkeep on the G-s is very expensive. Please educate. Also, it seems this one was imported directly from Germany - would I have problem sourcing parts on this side of the ocean?!

Thanks in advance -
James

OHHHH NOOOOOOO. thats not a 12k truck! :) if it was, i'd buy it!

ive never driven a 200lc, and those are $$$ so ill leave that out.

without a specific question, in general, and keeping in mind each company continually comes out with electronic advances in traction and stability control...

1996G vs 2001 LexusLX

on a tight trail, the G is easier to place without a spotter. its reallllly square, but the turning radius is oddly suckie. the 100 is a bit of a pig sometimes. stock it will drag more and rides plain heavier.

approach and departure go to the G hands down, but that can be almost rectified with aftermarket bumpers, and the fact that the LC can fit 33's stock and 35's with a moderate cheap lift. not so simple OR cheap for the G.

i thought the solid front axle for the G would be a greater advantage. it isnt. the suspension doesnt really allow it to take advantage of the possibilities, so i cant say its better than the independent front on the LC. and it gives up NVH on road imperfections.

obviously the G is locked all around, and only a rear is available stock on a LC 100. my G's front hasnt been inoperable since it failed the fist day i had it... but i havent needed it. NO gripes on its offroad ability, at all. sticks like glue. i dont have a locker in the *** of my lexus, but the atrac or locking center have worked just fine. i dont suspect there would be a whole lot of difference there if i equaled the locker situation, but im sure the G would ultimately win.

both are tank like, but the G is more tank like. :)

maybe the later MBUSA G's have a nicer ride than my europa G, but the LC is hands down a better highway cruiser. the G has a sportier feel in the steering, but... who cares, its an offroad truck. the G is also more trucklike in the way it deals with road imperfections. while i dont mind trucklike at all, i know a better ride when i feel it.

cargo is better in the lexus, i suppose at the cost of having a bigger bum.

wind noise is no race. the g's flat front ruins that aspect.

PARTS? PARTS? **** dude, the hub socket for a G is 200 bucks. parts availability? Dan or Omar at Amercan Toyota will ship you OEM at a 10% markup, johnny on the spot. i believe MB is actively trying to quash the few aftermarket suppliers as we speak. hit the G forums for better detail on that than i can give. either way, i always advise people to keep in mind, an 80,000 dollar truck that sells for 15,000 dollars doesnt know it. it still wants 80,000 dollar maintenance, and allot more of it.

aftermarket goodies go to the landcruisers. no comparison in the US, at least. its improving for the G, but the market is just much more limited.

durability? my G has 280k miles. its runs good but is a work in progress. i certainly cant *****.
my Lc has 120k miles and runs and drives like brand new. tight as a drum. truly amazing.

the G is better compared to the Lc 80's, but those are getting scarce in low mileage units. hence the beater prices are dropping and the few clean ones are going up.

overall id say the Lc give up some off road ability for capacity, but the difference in moderate wheeling ist as bad as i thought it would be. i dont see a G doing anything a lightly modified Lc wont (you know, ditching the plastic bumpers, running boards etc) and even with the added cost, the modified LC is going to be chaper upfront and in maintenance.

all that having been said, i plan on selling my Lexus and keeping the G. i like truckie boxes. i woulda kept my Defender, but i couldnt justify beating on a 60,000 dollar truck, and i was out of useless car space. a mom on nantucket now drives it to the beach. :(

Last edited:

zimm

Expedition Leader
Zimm -

Give it to me straight... what do you think is a good price range is for this vehicle in round numbers?! Are we talking $10K, $20K, or $30K? My interest drops off sharply after $10K...

James

hey. he wants to sell. maybe the bank is coming tomorrow for his house, and he'll appreciate 12g in cash. you could save his life. an offer is a opportuinity, although maybe not a good one.

realistically? illl be honest. knowing what it costs to fix a G, a 30k mile g is worth every bit of 30,000+ to someone that REALLY wants a pre MBUSA truck. the question is, does that guy exist in the time frame this guy needs to sell?

its like what my father said about getting sex. ask. the worst that can be said is no, and that puts you right where you are now.

Mercfan

hey. he wants to sell. maybe the bank is coming tomorrow for his house, and he'll appreciate 12g in cash. you could save his life. an offer is a opportuinity, although maybe not a good one.

realistically? illl be honest. knowing what it costs to fix a G, a 30k mile g is worth every bit of 30,000+ to someone that REALLY wants a pre MBUSA truck. the question is, does that guy exist in the time frame this guy needs to sell?

its like what my father said about getting sex. ask. the worst that can be said is no, and that puts you right where you are now.

Hehe - right... :) and Thank you

Mercfan

Well, looks like I won't have to make a decision on that one... I called and apparently it sold for $24,500... :) Maybe it's for my own good...

zimm

Expedition Leader
Well, looks like I won't have to make a decision on that one... I called and apparently it sold for $24,500... :) Maybe it's for my own good...

all straight, that was a good deal.

but then again i also think there was corrosion on the body due to local, and i doubt the mileage. it may sound like me rationalizing because i didnt grasp aesops grapes, but i question a truck tooooo farrrrr out of the ordinary.

a quick flip from a used car dept of a ford dealer? ever know a MB owner to step down to a ford? auto check and carfax are nice tools IF you can at least discern a mileage pattern, and i and vouch personally that accidents ive had have never shown up on either system, one had a police report.

in my opinion the truck wasnt worth touching without an actual physical touching.

Last edited:

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Any idea what this vehicle is worth - the seller states $35K!!! but if it didn't sell for $8K then why would it sell for $35K? :)

$25k max. I would be concerned about why the mileage is so low. Sitting in a garage is not healthy for any car.

zimm

Expedition Leader

$25k max. I would be concerned about why the mileage is so low. Sitting in a garage is not healthy for any car.

swammi.

********! NOOOOW ya tell me my mint 76 fj40 with 73k miles is worthless and falling apart, and here i thought it was the rusty ones that were in bad shape..... and my poor ol' uncle... hes had that '69 BOSS 302 since... well... '69. man is he gonna be torqued its only got 40,000 instead of 400,000 miles. the 93 D110NAS i got rid of? thats what Mike at ECR said. yup, garage kept with 47,000 miles... i had to beg him to buy it and put it on the website home page. number 238 in case you want to read how crappy he thought it was. im sure the new owner wishes ida put anothe 100,000 miles on it, ya know, to keep the seals fresh and all. it didnt even drip oil like any self respecting defender should. (now wheres that p3 dunce cap when ya need it? :) ) well, to each his own.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier