Looking for a flatbed cabover shell with cargo access

cbattles

Chris Battles
Long time lurker, maybe someone can point me in the right direction...

I don't really want a "camper" as I usually see them. I just want a big shell that I can heat, put stuff in, and sleep in. Ideally, I'm kind of looking for a hard-side, flatbed version of the Project M. A big opening for cargo access from the rear feels like a must, and the bigger the cabover the better, to make use of that space.

I'm really just looking for the most possible area to sleep and haul stuff. I go on hunting trips with up to 4 people, which means a lot of stuff. And, in the winter, I think I could manage sleeping 2 in the cabover and 2 in bunks along the side when it's cold enough to justify it.

I think my ideal solution would actually be an extended van with a high top, but I have a very nice F250 w/ the 7.3 that I'd like to keep and just find right camper shell for it.

Any thoughts?

UHAULER

Explorer
Sounds like a good plan. I think there are too many variables for companies to have in stock. I'm sure you could have a nice one built exactly the size you want, just depends on your budget.

GeorgeHayduke

Hmm Space Kap sorta does what you're talking about but slides into a conventional pickup bed. Bison Overland has a flatbed shell model but it's a pop-up. Maybe one of the upcoming composite shells from Total Composites would work?

cbattles

Chris Battles
Hmm Space Kap sorta does what you're talking about but slides into a conventional pickup bed. Bison Overland has a flatbed shell model but it's a pop-up. Maybe one of the upcoming composite shells from Total Composites would work?

Thanks. For an off the shelf solution, Space Kap is really pretty spot on.

cbattles

Chris Battles
Sounds like a good plan. I think there are too many variables for companies to have in stock. I'm sure you could have a nice one built exactly the size you want, just depends on your budget.

I've been looking at that angle too, but it's a bit ridiculous what some of these companies want to do that sort of thing.

yfarm

Observer
I’ve thought about the same issue, my solution was to mount full length side mount tool boxes on the flat bed and mount a high top Caravan shell on top of the tool boxes. Dont know if they will build a cabover version of their shell. Their product is made of steel and seems very durable, basic design they build has been around forever. If they do custom work another option would be a taller high top shell mounted directly to the flat bed.

cbattles

Chris Battles
I’ve thought about the same issue, my solution was to mount full length side mount tool boxes on the flat bed and mount a high top Caravan shell on top of the tool boxes. Dont know if they will build a cabover version of their shell. Their product is made of steel and seems very durable, basic design they build has been around forever. If they do custom work another option would be a taller high top shell mounted directly to the flat bed.

Good info, thanks, I had never heard of them before.

HNewman

Might not be relevant because of the location but could sere as some inspiration. Cache Camper here in Alaska builds all kinds of great looking cab over shells with cool options that are utilitarian. For example being able to haul a quad then unload it and set up a nice little sleeping platform. I think they build most of these to the customers specific needs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior