Looking for a DOKA Truck

MiguelVicente

Hello everyone! As part of a wouldbe project, I am looking for a DOKA for max capacity 5 seats. The box would be design according to the vehicle.
I have seen some fire trucks in Europe, MB, Iveco, etc.
I would like to read your opinions, pro and cons and tips on the truck.
It will have to be 4X4, reliable, mostly for African or South American enviroment.

This is just an starter exercise.
All your comments welcome.

Regards.
Miguel.

Victorian

Approved Vendor : Total Composites
Mercedes Sprinter DOKA 4x4. Very economical to run and to buy in Europe. Models before 2006 are best.

Attachments

• Untitled copy.jpg
    Untitled copy.jpg
    980.3 KB · Views: 49

Grenadiers

Adventurer
This is an older homemade conversion on a 1983 MAN Doka, incorporating the cab as part of the cabin. The engine is accessed now through a cutout in the cab center console. So, seating up front for two only. Our German friends built this and have traveled 11 years in it!

Attachments

• DSCN986513340001.JPG
    DSCN986513340001.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 56

Av8tr

Unimog.

The support for the truck is excellent both diy and professional. The motor is common and any other issues, if any, (portal boxes) are well understood and easily addressed. The same basic platform can take you from a 416 Doka up to a 2450 Doka 6x6. I believe you would be hard pressed to find another platform that has been in service in such a wide array of situations.

Victorian

Agreed the Unimogs are very capable trucks. But have some disadvantages. For example: the DOKA versions are only good for a max camperbody length of ~10-12' . Meaning, if you NEED a doka, you are most likely planing of travelling with more than two people. Fitting more than two into a 12' camperbody is a challenge. Ideally, you would build a 14-16' camper body to sleep and seat more than 2. Another "downside" of the Unimogs is the highway capabilities. For sure you could retro fit with overdrive, super fast axles and bigger tires. $$$$$$$$$ ! . Totally different story if you are only taking backcountry roads. There is not much that can match a Unimog. But realistically, you need to cover a lot of miles on highways in North America before you get to those remote places.
Another thing that always comes up in conversations I have with "expedition truck" owners: Owning those trucks means a lot of invested $$$$, sweat and time. Even though those trucks could go places others can't. Rarely is that done. Because owners are afraid of damaging the rig, or getting stuck. In other words, a Unimog is not needed to live your dream.

Disclaimer: I LOVE Unimogs.... My first ever car was a mog... drove many thousand miles in the 1300L Ambulance.... have customers that own them. I'm not against them, just not ideal for doing lots of highway miles.

thebigblue

Adventurer
This is an older homemade conversion on a 1983 MAN Doka, incorporating the cab as part of the cabin. The engine is accessed now through a cutout in the cab center console. So, seating up front for two only. Our German friends built this and have traveled 11 years in it!

Awesome truck ;)

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
The DoKa Mercedes LKW (actual dreifachkabine {triple cabs, 3 rows of seats}) are quite well-supported worldwide. 'Victorian' is spot on that a 12-foot cab is about max for cabin length. You could maybe do a 14' cabin. A huge plus for the Doka is the cab is 8 feet wide by 10.5 feet long so it is very usable as a second cabin for sleeping. A very nice arrangement if it is parents traveling with children, or 2 couples, as you can spend your time together when driving and dining, but get separate sleeping quarters. And again a second to fast axles (ex-firetrucks) and larger wheels for a reasonable cruise speed with less noise/softer ride.

Reference- my 1017AF from southern Oregon to Plains, WA (1100 miles round trip) for the Northwest Overland Fest got 12.5-14 mpg cruising between 55-64 mph with a stock OM352A and 395/80-20 tires (46"). The only downside is on all the hill/mountains in central Oregon and Washington on Hwy 97 speeds were down to 28-40 mph.
Reference 2- Cabin is 11.5 feet long, 6'6" interior heightside.jpg

Coachgeo

Explorer
honestly.... most .. if not all Expedition Camper Boxes are stronger than the cab be it Doka or otherwise........ If you get to design your box IMHO step out. of the box.. actually.... step IN the box by putting passengers in there where they are safer!! Myself am using an Ambulance box... on back of my LMTV. No way am I going to put my loved ones or even best friends in the cab.... Cab crush way to easy compared to well built box. So on mine All seating will be in the box except Pilot(s)' though honestly would rather even co-pilot in back where they are safer.

As to view..... camera(s) and a screen in back can show passengers in there the views out windshield and more as you travel.... and it is much cheaper than adding windows in camper and less temperature losses... which further reduce cost.

Last edited:

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Doka mog camper with French family of five, quite a squash but they travelled a long time and a long way :) I think followed warm weather so they could mostly live and eat outside.

http://www.opensens.com/home.htm

But a truck with no bonnet/hood does make the most of chassis length for the camper.

Victorian

As to view..... camera(s) and a screen in back can show passengers in there the views out windshield and more as you travel.... and it is much cheaper than adding windows in camper and less temperature losses... which further reduce cost.

If you are thinking about eliminating windows because of cost, then a LMTV is probably not the right vehicle for you. As the windows will only be a drop in the bucket... I could not imagine spending all that money and time into a vehicle that can get me to amazing places but not have windows to enjoy the view. Not even mentioning the fresh air! Why not stay home and watch TV?

Coachgeo

Explorer
If you are thinking about eliminating windows because of cost, then a LMTV is probably not the right vehicle for you. As the windows will only be a drop in the bucket... I could not imagine spending all that money and time into a vehicle that can get me to amazing places but not have windows to enjoy the view. Not even mentioning the fresh air! Why not stay home and watch TV?
LMTV is one of the least costly trucks to base a larger overlanding truck on...camera's will provide more view than window actually, vents will be added.... when desired will sit outside and enjoy the view and nature.... sleep in the box..... to each his own

java

Expedition Leader
Not exactly a real common truck in Africa but here is ours, F450 Crew cab with a 12' box.

41207111635_36eb84c838_b.jpg

mog

Kodiak Buckaroo
Raising the roof on the CAB seems like a brilliant idea!

With all the space in the cab, a raised roof would be great and with a higher cabin no increased height penalty.
MOCK-UP
top-s.jpg

I think the coolest method would to be to find a roof from a Corey Cruiser Hightop conversion
cc.jpg

But other roofs could be used, including pop-ups. Even a full-size truck bed cap would work and those are literally free sometimes.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles