Looking for a DD/Expo vehicle

Cadavern

May be the area you live but I can find a gx470 with lower miles and in better shape for cheaper than a 4 runner . Picked up the fiancé 03 with 128k on the clock for 10k . And a plus side to a Lexus IS they are usually well taken care of and maintained regularly.

I’ve looked nationwide on every car selling site as well as every single area of Craigslist. Haven’t found one with under 185k or close for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jeff parker

Observer
What should the cutoff be for miles if I’m looking at 4runners? Of course factoring in that they’ve been maintained properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I bought my 1998 4Runner in 2018 with 340,000 miles, it now has 400,000. I send in oil samples at every change, no wear. Basically this engine will not fail from wear, but from metal fatigue.

Rwatson8

You'd have a clean lower mileage well built xj for that price as long as you buy it stock and pick your own components

direwolf82

I will add something, if you really are a huge framed person maybe skip the 4th gen 4runner with sunroof. I'm 6 foot and have very little headroom, my buddy is 6'6" and fits but just barely. Was almost a deal breaker for me actually.
No sunroof is much better.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

spacecowboy7777

Go post in the Mitsubishi forum and everyone will say Montero! Lol on a serious note, I’ve got a 2nd gen and love it. Id say it’s most comparable to a 3rd gen forerunner with much more headroom, less side to side room (skinnier) and half the cost. Ultimately the best vehicle is the one you enjoy, don’t be afraid to buy and sell till you find it. Don’t get analysis paralysis!

Watt maker

Do you plan to sleep in the vehicle or in a tent or trailer? If you’re tall, I would skip the 4th gen 4runner with a sunroof. The models without the sunroof have more headroom. As for mpg in the toyota line, the v6 4th gen will net you the best mpg (not by much though) and is the easiest to maintain. The v8 4th gen, GX, and sequoia will all get around the same mpg, with the sequoia slightly worse due to its increased size and weight. As for miles, it all depends on where the vehicle is from, how it was previously used, and how it was maintained. I wouldn’t worry at all about a 200k mile 4runner or GX if it was driven in the southwest and religiously maintained.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Dont kid your self about mileage though. The Full time 4x4 V8 Toyotas don’t get 16mpg especially with all terrain tires!! Its a big reason I don’t have Toyotas today.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I bought my 1998 4Runner in 2018 with 340,000 miles, it now has 400,000. I send in oil samples at every change, no wear. Basically this engine will not fail from wear, but from metal fatigue.
Most Toyota engines suffer bearing failure between 350,000 and 400,000. The taxi guys all plan on ICE replacement around 350,000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles