Looking for a comparison of 270 awnings

Starting to shop for an awning cost 1000 max. Styl 270 prefer one rigid enough so no poles are needed. Who can offer suggestions. I have looked at the thread new 270. But that isn’t quite enough detail.
I don’t have a clue about material. So all you wise folks in the way of awnings please enlighten me.

Photobug

I don't think you can find one for less than 1000 self supporting. You need to look further in the new 270 thread someone has a chart with weights prices and links. If you only have a grand to spend expect to compromise on what you want, mostly needing pole support.

Check out photobug’s ”New 270 Awning available“ thread.

I’ve got the RR Batwing 270, driver side model. My remarks are somewhere on here under a review of this awning.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I absolutely love my 23Zero Peregrine 270 awning and walls.3
I had the Darche and really think 23Zero fixed everything I didn't like about the Darche.
Before I owned an Hannibal no pole straight out awning which was the super cool thing back then but I will always have a 270 awning going forward.
I will say that while I can use the 23Zero Peregrine without poles if a light breeze none of them are really strong enough with that much sail square footage to not use some poles and guylines if the wind is blowing.

emulous74

I have an assortment of 270 awnings ranging from 400 bucks to about 1500, the only one that is completely self-supporting that I have owned is the Alu-Cab Shadow Awn and it's also the most expensive (1500.00) and the heaviest. The others that I have starting from cheapest to more expensive are the

Guana Equipment Morpho 270 Degree Awning ($400.00) - awesome for the price, decently made, and off the shelf parts, makes using common tools and parts from Home Depot very easy. Set up by one person is an effort of frustration and no self-support aspects at all. It gets the job done, but nothing "easy" about it.

Rhino Rack Batwing ($800.00) - probably the best known 270 awning, at double the price of the Morpho, you can tell there is more engineering and better materials, replacement parts are easily available but have to be gotten through Rhino or re-sellers. Problems, it does not use industry standard (sizing) awning mounting, is larger packed up than most awnings, and while it's easier to set up with one person than the Morpho, it takes longer to set up than the Morpho. Mine got ruined the first time I used it on a trip to Montana, I had it staked and guide roped down as instructed and winds were strong enough to flip my rtt over on itself, two of the poles bent 90 degrees and I had to cut the awning to get them out so I could pack it up.

Overland Vehicle Systems Nomadic Awning 270 ($900.00) - Here is where I found the best compromise, it's self supporting "only" for set up/breakdown, but this makes it really easy to set up and breake down, it's also has a bar that goes forward so you get more coverage than any of the other awnings I own. Quality is on par with the Rhino Batwing, but there is no, to little plastic used, so it feels more robust, but the awning material and robustness isn't as nice as the Alu-Cab. I would of gotten another Alu-Cab, but it didn't cover areas I needed for my trailer that the Nomadic does. The Alu-Cab is still easier/faster to open, but this awning breaks the difference between the Batwing and the Alu-Cab. As I've said, this is a great compromise when price is a factor. The one thing I would want changed is a coating on the awning material to reflect the sun (which is something the Alu-Cab has). This awning also came with the most robust mounts that you should be able to mount it to anything. OVS just released a smaller version called the Nomadic LT, right now priced at 599

Alu-cab Shadow Awn ($1500.00) + Beautifully made, robust materials, great engineering and it's actually cooler underneath the awning when the sun is beating down. It is relatively small compared to other 270 awnings, but it covers enough area for most people. The mounts are specific and have to be purchased separately adding to the cost and the complexity to mounting. It's relatively heavy. Set up and breakdown is a dream and I never hesitate opening it even for a short time, which doesn't happen with any of the others I own. You do feel you get what you pay for, but it might be more than most folks need. I did have the bars break and bend by a huge gust of wind down at the beach, the folks that were using it didn't use the pole included or guide rope it down, which alu-cab says you should do for potential strong winds, however OK4wd was able to sell me new bars at a very reasonable price.

Last edited:

concretejungle

Adventurer
great reply! Thank you.

I'm in the market right now to replace my tired ARB 2500 awning. I will say that awning has taken a beating and performed but now the fabric is faded, leaking, the bars are all bent and it's time.

Any reviews on the James Baroud 270 awning?

adaml

Overland Vehicle Systems 270. It's a clone of the Darche. Has better coverage over the rear than the 23Zero option (IMO). I absolutely love it. I set it up without poles all the time and only stick the poles down (which literally only take 10 seconds) if I'm somewhere windy.

iowalr4

Adventurer
Overland Vehicle Systems 270. It's a clone of the Darche. Has better coverage over the rear than the 23Zero option (IMO). I absolutely love it. I set it up without poles all the time and only stick the poles down (which literally only take 10 seconds) if I'm somewhere windy.

Ya, I ended up with the 23 Zero, but only because of the 5 arm design vs 6 arm... because of my rear upper tailgate interference with the arms. My tailgate ladder still pushes the one arm up a little with the 23 zero. More coverage in the rear would be nice, but I think it still gives enough that if it was raining I could access stuff in the tailgate ok. Just wouldn't be able to hangout back there as much because if the rain blew around you would get wet.

alia176

Explorer
This thread has comparo - price vs weight. Looks like the heaviest of the bunch is Howling Moon at 83#. The AluCab is 51#, NVS is 72#, Darche is 48#, Batwing is 47#. While these #s may seem trivial when you install the awning on a trailer, mounting them to a tall rig with a high COG, does give one pause.

@1leglance what didn't you like about the Darche 270deg awning?

1leglance

@alia176
#1 cover bag way too tight
#2 3 wall ections vs 2 on 23zero
#3 material let alot more heat/light thru vs 23zero
some other things i dont remember right now :}

alia176

Explorer
@alia176
#1 cover bag way too tight
#2 3 wall ections vs 2 on 23zero
#3 material let alot more heat/light thru vs 23zero
some other things i dont remember right now :}

Great feedback Lance, thank you!! Can you setup your awning without using the poles for calm days, quick lunch stop, etc?

1leglance

Great feedback Lance, thank you!! Can you setup your awning without using the poles for calm days, quick lunch stop, etc?

Yes on both the Darche and the 23Zero if there is no wind or just a slight breeze I am happy to setup without legs.
My only downside has to do with my van not the awning, I am 5ft 7in and need a step stool to open and close up the awning due to the height of the roof fence (with a poptop I don't call it a roof rack).

transalper

Explorer
I am looking for a 270 too. From conversations with a Darche US distributor, I've learned the OVS 270 is a clone of the Gen1 Darche. The Gen2 Darche, which should be hitting the US early next year is 20 pounds lighter than the Gen1 (and clones), has higher quality fabric, and has other improvements. Plus I am not a fan of clones (OVS even copied the Darche website). Even though it is ~$300 more expensive, I am strongly leaning toward the Gen2 Darche.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior