Looking for a 4x4 van in/near Colorado

Martylibansky

I'm in the market! Got about 25k to spend. What's out there? Would like something a little newer (mid 90s would be the oldest). Also somewhat efficient like a 5.4 or 6.0 engine. Gotta be reliable, have a 4-5k mile trip planned for the fall and winter. Ford or Chevy Either is fine. Am I dreaming of a unicorn? Would prefer something local/ within a 500 miles from Denver. Anyone?, anything? Thanks!

Bbasso

Expedition Leader
Unicorn, no but incredibly difficult to match your requirements.
Start searching and let us know what you buy. Good luck!

86scotty

Cynic
Search Craigslist often with terms like 4x4 van, Quigley, Chevy AWD, Ujoint, Quadvan, etc. etc. Also check here everyday on the 'vans for sale' thread and the Sportsmobile Forum.

Use Craigslist national search. Prepare to travel for it. It's fun and it's the way it always works out anyway. I can't tell you how many people in the PNW have bought their van in Florida and how many friends of mine in the Southeast got theirs in Socal. That's just the way it works out. Save your pennies....and welcome to the gang.

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
The 6.0 might be efficient but is a nightmare of an engine. TOTAL POS unless you spend the BIG $$$ to fix and even then not guaranteed to last. Better off with the 7.3 or 6.7, avoid the 6.0 and 6.4s. Good luck though.

https://www.facebook.com/denverfleet

You can contact him on FB.

I've stopped by here a while back when I was van shopping. From what I seen, they do "OK" work at best, their price is usually cheaper compared to others. But the common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. The only thing I didn't like was the two mechanics that were installing the 4wd systems did not impress me as actual mechanics. Like most shops, they start out with a great concept and design, then hire $20hr guys to do the installs. An average skilled mechanic will cost at minimum $30hr in the front range.

FWIW: STAY AWAY FROM THE 6.0 PSD!!!! Even if you spend $5-8k redoing it, you'll be spending that every 50k miles. They are junk. Ford got in a billion dollar lawsuit over the 6.0. (There's your sign!)

another_mike

Adventurer
The 6.0 might be efficient but is a nightmare of an engine. TOTAL POS unless you spend the BIG $$$ to fix and even then not guaranteed to last. Better off with the 7.3 or 6.7, avoid the 6.0 and 6.4s. Good luck though.

Eh, after doing an aftermarket EGR cooler and relocating the oil cooler, I find the the 6.0 very reliable.

Martylibansky

Thanks guys I appreciate the knowledge. Been on the web for a few months now. I know I can get into a Quigley within my budget, even maybe into a fairly newer E series. But Quigley doesn't have the best reviews, And from what I heard, Denver fleet, kinda does a similar set up. I'm going to meet Tim next week to see for myself.
Speaking of which, can someone explain "bump steer" ? Heard Quigleys have it and better builders don't.
Also, anyone have any experience with diesel fuel throughout Mexico? Should be fine with an older engine I figure, but any insight would be appreciated.

Cummins_expo

Adventurer
Bump steer- Occurs when the vehicle hits a 'bump, pothole, groves" and can give you the feeling of wandering. In some cases, you will literally dart all over the road. It is caused by less than ideal suspension geometry steering/drag link length not equal to or 75% of track bar length. As suspension compresses the drang link legthens "pushing" the suspenion to the passenger side = bump steer.

FYI - I have a conversion done by Tim. It does have bump steer. I will say however Tim is a great guy and I would 100% recommend doing business with him.

Unless you get into truly performance / or better designed - Ujoint/ Agile/ Weldtech you will probably have some bump steer. Agile does make a Quigley Suspension kit that owner say helps TREMENDOUSLY

Michal740

I also have a van converted by Denver Fleet.It has been very good so far and Tim was always very helpful. I also recommend to check out his vans.

Oldcarnut

Adventurer
On my E450 I've got around 30 for the 4wd conversion with a new front axle and upgraded 4R100. Friend helped with the conversion and only charged 40hrs. 6 Inch lift with Stage 2 axle, big brake upgrade, and NV271 all from U-Joint. 4.56s with lockers front and rear as well. I ordered almost all the options/ extras U-Joint has so one might be able to save a few bucks with the lift and necessities but labor will vary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior