Looking For A 300GD

RangeBrover

Explorer
Okay guys I'm back in the hunt, I'm looking for a 300GD to build, if anyone has any leads on one it would be greatly appreciated.

On another note if I pick up a gasser is the diesel swap difficult to perform?

Okay guys I'm back in the hunt, I'm looking for a 300GD to build, if anyone has any leads on one it would be greatly appreciated.

On another note if I pick up a gasser is the diesel swap difficult to perform?

I too am a diesel enthusiast to the core but the 5.0L gas engine found in the G500 is a thoroughbred. The 5.0L engine when it is mated to the 5 speed automatic transmission makes for a very durable and reliable drivetrain. It will make you forget you ever wanted a diesel.

I don't get it. Our fleet of rejected GD240 are now traveling the world like superstars.
A car salesman takes a shipment of discarted G240 from the Danish army surplus. They have been abused by young soldiers. "It's the goverment that pick up the bill" was the standart phrase when they drove it.
They recive new paint and is cleaned up. Now suddently the least attractive G's in the world becomes pure gold.
People start beliving in Santa Clause and the Easter Bunny, sureley they have only done 13.000 km since new...
Our army where not equipped with endless budgets that allows a vehicle to be released for sale if the damn thing was in a near new condition. You can add 100-200.000 km to the counter.

If it sounds too good to be true...

Last edited:

otiswesty

Regular guy
240GD may be OK for driving up Himmelbjerget in Denmark, but would likely not fare so well in the altitude and steep roads of the Rocky Mountains or Sierras in the western US. The om616 is an underpowered and obsolete motor, also the remainder of the 240GD drivetrain is reportedly of lesser build strength like the smaller axles and driveshafts.

The 300GD is pretty slow as well, I drove a turboed version for 8 years and maybe if you had no hills around it would be great. Offroad, it is a fun rig, if you have free veggie oil it may be worth it.

240GD may be OK for driving up Himmelbjerget in Denmark, but would likely not fare so well in the altitude and steep roads of the Rocky Mountains or Sierras in the western US. The om616 is an underpowered and obsolete motor, also the remainder of the 240GD drivetrain is reportedly of lesser build strength like the smaller axles and driveshafts.

The 300GD is pretty slow as well, I drove a turboed version for 8 years and maybe if you had no hills around it would be great. Offroad, it is a fun rig, if you have free veggie oil it may be worth it.

That's saying something coming from a person who drives a VW bus and a Syncro.

Dam, it's making me think I should just find a G500.

That may be the best solution. If you are looking for something that achieves good MPG's, the G-wagon is the wrong vehicle. It weighs 3 tons and is shaped like a brick. I have a 2009 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI to offset of poor mileage of my G-wagon. I don't think I am putting more than 50 miles a month on my G500 because it can be expensive to drive. It only gets driven when I take it camping.

RangeBrover

Explorer
Oh trust me I don't care about gas mileage. If I did I would be driving a Prius. I'm used to the poor mileage in my 200 Series, I've just always liked the look of the G and think it would make a fun trail rig.

Oh trust me I don't care about gas mileage. If I did I would be driving a Prius. I'm used to the poor mileage in my 200 Series, I've just always liked the look of the G and think it would make a fun trail rig.

If mileage is no issue then the G500 is the way to go. If you plan on upgrading the suspension then I would recommend looking at the G55 as well. It sits a bit lower in stock form but the added 90hp is nice to have and adding a lift will fix the lower ride hieght. Some people say the 7 speed transmission is problematic but I cannot speak for the 7 speed because I have never owned one. I have the 5 speed tranny and it has been trouble free for 125K miles and I fully expect it to go another 125K more miles.

I have really enjoyed my G500 and no complaints about it. I have liked it better than both of my LX450s because it just feels more solid and it has been mostly trouble free other than an A/C condenser.

I did purchase a 5 year, 100K mile bumper to bumper warranty for it for about $2200. This will take out the sting if I do encounter any issues with the vehicle. It is also a good selling point if I ever do decide to sell the vehicle because it is transferable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles